Habitat dimming thermometer

Evie091

Hi, so I ordered a habistat dimming thermometer and I set it up, secured the probe in the enclosure at her basking spot and turned it on. The heat lamp switch was on but the light wasn't shining as if it was off. Is this simply because the temp is too hot so it's letting it cool before it turns on? Also while the lamp switch was set to off the heat light on the habistat box was on? Anyone know what I am doing wrong?
I am using a arcadia e27 solar basking floodlight, 150W Uva as her basking light.

Do you have a link to exactly what you ordered? The basking bulb wattage you have is seriously high. Is your fixture rated for that? And is the bulb a halogen bulb or incandescent? Typically dimming thermostats do not work with halogen bulbs only incandescent.

Do you have a link to exactly what you ordered? The basking bulb wattage you have is seriously high. Is your fixture rated for that? And is the bulb a halogen bulb or incandescent? Typically dimming thermostats do not work with halogen bulbs only incandescent.
https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/habistat-600w-dimming-thermostat/ this is what I ordered, the box doesn't say whether its halogen or incandescent but i think halogen arcadia bulbs usually say it pretty clearly on the box. I do want to get a different bulb but lock down is making them hard to get. The box does say I can use a thermostat with it but It doesn't specify what kind. Also by fixture do you mean what's holding the bulb? If so it has a max of 250 w and it is a ceramic reflector lamp. There is also a metal guard atacched to the bottom. Sorry if that wasn't what you meant!

https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/habistat-600w-dimming-thermostat/ this is what I ordered, the box doesn't say whether its halogen or incandescent but i think halogen arcadia bulbs usually say it pretty clearly on the box. I do want to get a different bulb but lock down is making them hard to get. The box does say I can use a thermostat with it but It doesn't specify what kind. Also by fixture do you mean what's holding the bulb? If so it has a max of 250 w and it is a ceramic reflector lamp. There is also a metal guard atacched to the bottom. Sorry if that wasn't what you meant!
Ok look at this link...

In the description it says for use with only incandescent light bulbs. https://www.internetreptile.com/habistat-dimming-thermostat-600w-white/

I believe this is your issue.... I run a herpstat and mine is the same only can be used with incandescent bulbs. I do not use the arcadia focused heat bulbs. They put out focused intense heat and that is not what I prefer for my boys. But I am not familiar with them enough to know if they are actually incandescent...

However if they are then... So your probe would tie in at the branch below where your heat fixture is... If it is not lighting up it means it is pulling that temp or more then that temp already. Looks like yours should show the power button light on. Double check that your probe is fully hooked in to your thermostat. You can dial the temp up to see if it kicks on... If it does not and your cage is obviously not that hotter temp that you set then there may be another issue.

Ok look at this link...

In the description it says for use with only incandescent light bulbs. https://www.internetreptile.com/habistat-dimming-thermostat-600w-white/

I believe this is your issue.... I run a herpstat and mine is the same only can be used with incandescent bulbs. I do not use the arcadia focused heat bulbs. They put out focused intense heat and that is not what I prefer for my boys. But I am not familiar with them enough to know if they are actually incandescent...

However if they are then... So your probe would tie in at the branch below where your heat fixture is... If it is not lighting up it means it is pulling that temp or more then that temp already. Looks like yours should show the power button light on. Double check that your probe is fully hooked in to your thermostat. You can dial the temp up to see if it kicks on... If it does not and your cage is obviously not that hotter temp that you set then there may be another issue.
Okay thank you very much, habistat and arcadia are what I see in shops so it is usually what I get. I was advised by a reptile worker when I got the bulbs but I will be looking into them more before I buy my next one. Apologies for my confusion and thank you for the help!

Okay thank you very much, habistat and arcadia are what I see in shops so it is usually what I get. I was advised by a reptile worker when I got the bulbs but I will be looking into them more before I buy my next one. Apologies for my confusion and thank you for the help!
No worries at all. I am not familiar with your particular thermostat. But I do run one and those are the common issues. Yours is rated for up to 600 watts so it is not that. I even looked up the bulb you use on arcadias site and they do not specify the type of bulb. Sorry I could not be more help. Maybe someone else who has your thermostat will be able to chime in and help.

No worries at all. I am not familiar with your particular thermostat. But I do run one and those are the common issues. Yours is rated for up to 600 watts so it is not that. I even looked up the bulb you use on arcadias site and they do not specify the type of bulb. Sorry I could not be more help. Maybe someone else who has your thermostat will be able to chime in and help.
Your effort is definetly appreciated! Im going to try and let it cool down during the night and try it again in the morning. Thank you!

Just make sure you keep an eye on your temps as I’m pretty sure I’ve read elsewhere that these can run a little off and you have to have it turned up higher. I’m in the uk and I am currently still running a 50w for my female to get the temps needed. Depending on how warm/cold your house is I highly doubt you would need anything over 100w.
If you continue to have issues I would send it back to swell. I can highly recommend the digital habistat dimming therm which is what I have and it works amazing.

Hi Evie091 this might sound stupid but does the bulb work not plugged into the thermo. I reason i aski have had 2 of the 50 watts I lasted a day the 2nd a week. So I then purchased arcadia 75 watt halogen basking which is dimmable and gets my temp fine is around 9 inches up

Hi Evie091 this might sound stupid but does the bulb work not plugged into the thermo. I reason i aski have had 2 of the 50 watts I lasted a day the 2nd a week. So I then purchased arcadia 75 watt halogen basking which is dimmable and gets my temp fine is around 9 inches up
I was actually thinking that, the thermo is plugged into an extension lead because I only have two plug sockets in my room but the thermo days it's got power so I'm not sure. I will update the feed when I try it again in the morning. The bulb does usually work. I need to have a fiddle with the leads anyway but I'm trying to give her some space because she has been shedding today.

Back
Top Bottom