Guys, I think I'm ready..?!

Ooooh ok gotcha gotcha. I always thought it wasnt safe to plug an extension cord into another extension cord? Or is that just for the multi ones?
I think it is just the multi ones. Let me tag in an electrical person lol. @Clayton0520 I am only plugging one thing in to the actual extension cord then running it to the timer if needed then plugging the timer into the multi grounded bar. So I have a total of two extension cords running to the bar each plugged into a different fixture.

I think it is just the multi ones. Let me tag in an electrical person lol. @Clayton0520 I am only plugging one thing in to the actual extension cord then running it to the timer if needed then plugging the timer into the multi grounded bar. So I have a total of two extension cords running to the bar each plugged into a different fixture.
So you have an extension bar/surge protector, a timer plugged in to that, an extension cord plugged in to the timer, and then the fixture plugged in to the cord? I'm not an electrician but that goes against everything I've ever known lol

So you have an extension bar/surge protector, a timer plugged in to that, an extension cord plugged in to the timer, and then the fixture plugged in to the cord? I'm not an electrician but that goes against everything I've ever known lol
:hilarious: ok so clearly @Clayton0520 needs to let me know if I am going to burn my house down as well.
But yeah like so the home depot guy looked at me with his this female is stupid look and said it would work so I rolled with it. lol
Keep in mind nothing I am running is high in wattage. The quad fixture was long enough to plug right into the bar. So I have the heat lamp running 75 watts, and a tiny computer fan pulling air up and out of the cage on the top low wattage. Both of these have extension cords on them and then then each cord is plugged into a timer into the bar. But I am also running two bars because my timers are big lol. So the two that have timers with extension cords are on their own heavy duty bar. THen the mistking and the quad fixture are on their own bar. I have a big cabinet that is divided in half with a wood so all of my electrical is housed separately from any water source because it is all in the left side of the cabinet.

:hilarious: ok so clearly @Clayton0520 needs to let me know if I am going to burn my house down as well.
But yeah like so the home depot guy looked at me with his this female is stupid look and said it would work so I rolled with it. lol
Keep in mind nothing I am running is high in wattage. The quad fixture was long enough to plug right into the bar. So I have the heat lamp running 75 watts, and a tiny computer fan pulling air up and out of the cage on the top low wattage. Both of these have extension cords on them and then then each cord is plugged into a timer into the bar. But I am also running two bars because my timers are big lol. So the two that have timers with extension cords are on their own heavy duty bar. THen the mistking and the quad fixture are on their own bar. I have a big cabinet that is divided in half with a wood so all of my electrical is housed separately from any water source because it is all in the left side of the cabinet.
I'm sure itll be ok since nothing is super high output. I hate going to Home Depot because of that look! I always get that patronizing smile and I get asked if I'm doing ok at least 10 times while I'm there

I have an extension cord, but the biggest issue is the heat lamp. The cord only just reaches from the top of the enclosure to that bottom shelf that I have it on. I originally had all the electrical one more shelf down, but the heat lamp cord was too taught when sitting on top of the enclosure.
have you thought about mounting the power strip to the wall behind the enclosure? mine is actually mounted to a board I have attached to the back of the enclosure since the back of mine is fully blocked by cork bark and great stuff, no chance of water getting to it, it is high enough for the lights to plug in easily and then has a longer cord that goes to the outlet, just a thought.

I'm sure itll be ok since nothing is super high output. I hate going to Home Depot because of that look! I always get that patronizing smile and I get asked if I'm doing ok at least 10 times while I'm there
I hate that.... Like if I need help I will ask for it. I am a totally capable female LOL

have you thought about mounting the power strip to the wall behind the enclosure? mine is actually mounted to a board I have attached to the back of the enclosure since the back of mine is fully blocked by cork bark and great stuff, no chance of water getting to it, it is high enough for the lights to plug in easily and then has a longer cord that goes to the outlet, just a thought.
Yeah the back of mine is covered in cork as well. That may be a good option!

Ok @Beman and @Daesie11 sorry it took me a while to get back to y’all. Work has been crazy the last few days. So you are totally fine plugging an extension cord into another extension cord as long as you have purchased a good heavy duty cord. When you go to Home Depot or any other hardware store you need to spend the extra money to buy a 12 gauge cord VS a 16 or 14 gauge. As long as you have a 12 gauge cord you can’t “over load” it by plugging in too many things. 12 gauge wire is rated for 20 amps and that what your standard receptacle is rated for in a house (the breaker that protects that circuit) so your breaker would trip before the insulation melted off your wire. I hope this helps and calms some nerves out there!

Ok @Beman and @Daesie11 sorry it took me a while to get back to y’all. Work has been crazy the last few days. So you are totally fine plugging an extension cord into another extension cord as long as you have purchased a good heavy duty cord. When you go to Home Depot or any other hardware store you need to spend the extra money to buy a 12 gauge cord VS a 16 or 14 gauge. As long as you have a 12 gauge cord you can’t “over load” it by plugging in too many things. 12 gauge wire is rated for 20 amps and that what your standard receptacle is rated for in a house (the breaker that protects that circuit) so your breaker would trip before the insulation melted off your wire. I hope this helps and calms some nerves out there!
Awesome to know, thank you so much!

Today is the first day that I've managed to keep my humidity at 40-50% all day (to be fair, we are in the middle of a blizzard so I am taking that with a grain of salt for now). My fogger came in today which I have on a timer from 12am-4am. My drainage is working wonderfully, no puddles of water sitting anywhere, even after a 4 minute misting session. I have bins set up and ready for my feeders when they come in. I have a blackout curtain to wrap the enclosure in when its lights out at night, to keep any ambient light from bothering his beauty sleep.

All that I'm missing is my actual cham?! View attachment 228462
Today is the first day that I've managed to keep my humidity at 40-50% all day (to be fair, we are in the middle of a blizzard so I am taking that with a grain of salt for now). My fogger came in today which I have on a timer from 12am-4am. My drainage is working wonderfully, no puddles of water sitting anywhere, even after a 4 minute misting session. I have bins set up and ready for my feeders when they come in. I have a blackout curtain to wrap the enclosure in when its lights out at night, to keep any ambient light from bothering his beauty sleep.

All that I'm missing is my actual cham?! View attachment 228462
What do you have at the back of the cage? Thats cool!

Back
Top Bottom