Gutloading worms

javsto

Ive read plenty of post/threads about gutloading crickets as feeders for pet chameleons but is it possible to do the same for worms such as silk, horn, mealworms etc, etc...as a substitute for smelly, noisy crickets? If so, what do you gutload them with as far as fruits/veggies and suppliments.

there is no real way to gutload horns/silkies/butters but superworms are easily gutloaded. Dubia roaches are an easily gutloadable alternative to crickets. They breed easily, are very easy to take care of and don't stink.

what do you use to gutload dubia and superworms? any special dietary needs or recommendations?

what do you use to gutload dubia and superworms? any special dietary needs or recommendations?

You can use most fruits, veggies and greens. Stay away from spinach and broccoli as they can prevent your Cham from absorbing calcium. Try doing a forum search of 'gutload' and you will find lots of good gutload items/recipes and check out Sandrachameleon's blogs for nutritional facts of common gutload items.

Ive read plenty of post/threads about gutloading crickets as feeders for pet chameleons but is it possible to do the same for worms such as silk, horn, mealworms etc, etc...as a substitute for smelly, noisy crickets? If so, what do you gutload them with as far as fruits/veggies and suppliments.

Silkworms are gutloaded on mulberry leaves, dandelion leaves, shaved carrot, organic sweet red pepper, grape leaves, etc. If you gutload with these these, no supplementation required unless they form a very large part of the diet in which case use a little calicum.

Butterworms can be gutloaded with softened (steamed) butternut squash. No supplementing required.

Hornworms are gutloaded on "chow" , dandelion leaves, sweet red or green peppers, etc. A little calcium

Mealworms will eat most any vegetable or fruit, but good ones include papaya, dandelion, butternut squash, carrot, and apple. Use a supplement every time.

Superworms/kingworms are the same as mealworms. Use a supplement most times, less if gutloading properly.

Silkworms are gutloaded on mulberry leaves, dandelion leaves, shaved carrot, organic sweet red pepper, grape leaves, etc. If you gutload with these these, no supplementation required unless they form a very large part of the diet in which case use a little calicum.

Butterworms can be gutloaded with softened (steamed) butternut squash. No supplementing required.

Hornworms are gutloaded on "chow" , dandelion leaves, sweet red or green peppers, etc. A little calcium

Mealworms will eat most any vegetable or fruit, but good ones include papaya, dandelion, butternut squash, carrot, and apple. Use a supplement every time.

Superworms/kingworms are the same as mealworms. Use a supplement most times, less if gutloading properly.
wow Sandra, that is great info, I had never heard of any way to gutload silks or horns. Will feeding silks/horns that stuff keep them alive for a few weeks instead of chow or do you recommend just using that gutload prior to
feeding them off?

As far as I know the silks can be sustained a few days on the carrots but will not survive for any period of time without the chow or the mulberry leaves.

I feed my silkworms about 50% mulberry leaves (or chow) and 50% dandelion leaves all the time, from about the third week old ad older. They survive, thrive and reproduce just fine. I wouldnt go more than a week without some kind of mulberry, if you want the silkworms to reproduce.

Back
Top Bottom