Gutloaders that will help for an underweight chameleon

makkatfloof

Hi, I’ve looked around endlessly to try to find a post about this and haven’t found one.
I have a 6ish month old male veiled who got sick recently and went pretty underweight due to not eating while sick. The vet obviously suggested I fed him wax worms, which he did not like.
He was given a prescription fat supplement to give him through a syringe. I don’t like giving him it though due to, inevitably, him tending to get hooked on it.
He doesn’t like to eat anything but crickets and occasionally hornworms. He refuses to eat any fruits or vegetables or any other feeder insects (I’m assuming this is because of his angsty little teenage age). So, is there anything I can gutload the crickets with that will put more fat into his system to get him back to a normal weight?
*disclaimer* he was tested for parasites just in case and didn’t have any. It’s simply due to him not eating when he was sick.

I don't know a great deal about feeders higher in fat, my panther currently will only eat crickets but I do have to ask if you have live plants in his enclosure.

Last edited:
That was supposed to be safe gut load list. You are probably better off just maximizing the nutrition of your feeders with a balanced diet and just letting him catch up over time rather than try to rush the weight back on.

That was supposed to be safe gut load list. You are probably better off just maximizing the nutrition of your feeders with a balanced diet and just letting him catch up over time rather than try to rush the weight back on.
Well the problem is that it’s not just a matter of being slightly underweight. He’s EXTREMELY underweight. That’s why we’re at least trying to get him to put on a little weight.
When he got sick, he got a severe eye infection from the previous owners. This affected him to the point where he would vomit everything up until he was just throwing up mucus. He did this to the point where it got him to being the pure skin and bones he is now.
If he was just slightly underweight, I would totally just let him gain it back over time.

He also has been eating normally now, if that helps with info at all.

Poor little guy! Hope he gets to feeling stronger soon.
I understand what you are up against now.
Thank you so much! He’s been doing better. He eats normally and both his eyes are doing better again.
It’s just a struggle to get the weight back on, obviously. The infection spread to his whole body when he got it in his eyes, which is what led to the horrible vomiting.
Just praying we can fight off the skin and bones❤️

Welcome to the forums! I’m sorry to hear that your little guys has been sick. I highly recommend Cricket Crack or Buffet. You can buy those here: https://www.fullthrottlefeeders.com/gutloads-and-supplies

Also you might find my blog helpful for how I recommend keeping healthy and happy veileds.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-with-young-veiled-or-panther-chameleons.325/

Also silkworms are excellent for them after they have been sick.
Thank you so much! I’ve been giving the crickets cricket crack, but have not tried the buffet. I will try that!
I was looking at silkworms earlier to order for him, so I will go ahead and order some too! Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom