Gutload ends cricket strike!?!?

Johnny909

Well, the 2 week cricket strike is over, and unless it just happens to be good timing, i think i found out why. Before the cricket strike began, i was very busy at work and did not have time to make the green vegi gutload i usualy make for him.

So i used flukers dry cricket feed for a while (and water crystals for drink) ,thats about when he began to stop eating crickets.

Well saturday i found some time to make the gutload, and on sunday he ate half his bowl, and yesterday when i came back from work.... It was empty!!! He ate 13 crickets! I did not know chams had such advanced taste buds.

So for all beginners! Good gutload is an absolute MUST, and make the time if you dont have it! This just took alot of stress off me since he is back to eating like a small pig. :)

That's interesting that you brought this up, because I've thought about this myself. My male Veiled went on strike nearly 2-3 months ago, and he has certain days where he will do better than others. I noticed that Miner-all now advertises as 'New Berry Flavored', and it does indeed smell like Kool-aid or something. When I dust them, he will nearly break his neck trying to get over to the feeding cup. If they aren't dusted, he just ignores them most days. I've recently changed my gutload ingredients (added dried papaya, bee pollen, brewers yeast and added more spirulina than previously used) and after finally eating 1-2 undusted crickets with the new gutload, he's been eating well ever since. I wondered if they have a preference to feeders when it comes to 'flavor', or if it is a naturally craving from the body telling it,'This is good- these are the nutrients that your body needs'. Interesting thread subject that should be noted.

Well, the 2 week cricket strike is over, and unless it just happens to be good timing, i think i found out why. Before the cricket strike began, i was very busy at work and did not have time to make the green vegi gutload i usualy make for him.

So i used flukers dry cricket feed for a while (and water crystals for drink) ,thats about when he began to stop eating crickets.

Well saturday i found some time to make the gutload, and on sunday he ate half his bowl, and yesterday when i came back from work.... It was empty!!! He ate 13 crickets! I did not know chams had such advanced taste buds.

So for all beginners! Good gutload is an absolute MUST, and make the time if you dont have it! This just took alot of stress off me since he is back to eating like a small pig. :)

whats ur gutload?

one thing i can add to all that is they must have good taste buds ..ive been trying to offer my cham food anytime i think he mite want it..well after so many crickets(about five or six throughout the day) i can get him to eat one or two more just by coating it in the sticky toungues berry flavored dust..i think he has a sweet tooth..lol

Sugar.... Should have read this before submitting my thread, this maybe why my chams on strike, im not gutloading as much as id like to so the locust go a couple of days without feed, not to mention i have only been throwing in the first bit of greenery i see in the fridge :( looks like i'll have to find time for his food aswell as my cham!

Sugar.... Should have read this before submitting my thread, this maybe why my chams on strike, im not gutloading as much as id like to so the locust go a couple of days without feed, not to mention i have only been throwing in the first bit of greenery i see in the fridge :( looks like i'll have to find time for his food aswell as my cham!

thats what i do also

one thing i can add to all that is they must have good taste buds ..ive been trying to offer my cham food anytime i think he mite want it..well after so many crickets(about five or six throughout the day) i can get him to eat one or two more just by coating it in the sticky toungues berry flavored dust..i think he has a sweet tooth..lol

everyones talkin about this now.. im confused. is it ment to replace our rep-cal with or without d3? or our multivitamin??

whats ur gutload?

I blend oranges, green beans, handfull of those pre-made dark salad/greens mixes you get at grocery, turnip, squash and a wee little bit of IAMS cat food into a paste. Take note that since it makes a very moist paste, i dont give water crystals to force the crickets on it.

I know some people are against the catfood, but i dont put much, it contains many nutrients and it has brewers yeast.

It makes really juicy crickets, you gotta stand away when he crunches them cause it sends a little bit of juice all over lol

Well I am gonna throw a monkey wrench into the conversation here and say I use the Berry flavored minerall, gutload with the best fruits and vegetables and my chameleon still WONT eat crickets! Been trying on and off for 6 months!!! Sorry to shoot down your theory!!!!!

everyones talkin about this now.. im confused. is it ment to replace our rep-cal with or without d3? or our multivitamin??

it's not meant to replace anything. It is just a brand of Calcium. They sell indoor (with d3) and outdoor (without d3)

Back
Top Bottom