Gut loading frenzy

I think Mazuri is well worth the price. In a gutloading diet, the top ingredients are more for palatability rather than for increasing nutrients. In the study that I want to post Mazuri increased calcium and vitamins better than Repashy Superload in medium sized crickets. A gutloading diet that effectively increases nutrients in feeders requires a lot of money and time to create. Fresh produce simply doesn't provide the necessary nutrients to increase calcium and vitamins to targeted levels.

Sounds like some mazuri employees are here. Why don't you post your studies. Not that I doubt it, but there are so many variables that one study doesn't sell me on spending my hard earned money on what I feel is a rip off. My chameleons that I have are all doing as well as anyone's

That Finke article @kinyonga cited may be helpful here. In it, Finke questions the reliability/consistency of dusting, and found that gutloading with ~8% calcium had more consistent results in changing the ca/p ratio of bugs.
If I remember from the studies I've read correctly, vitamins have nothing to do with the gut content and more to do with how the diet alters the tissues of the feeders.

Sounds like some mazuri employees are here. Why don't you post your studies. Not that I doubt it, but there are so many variables that one study doesn't sell me on spending my hard earned money on what I feel is a rip off. My chameleons that I have are all doing as well as anyone's
The group rules says " 11. Do not post full articles or hotlinked images on this website without permission from the content owner." I'm wondering if that means I can't just post the study that I want?

If I remember from the studies I've read correctly, vitamins have nothing to do with the gut content and more to do with how the diet alters the tissues of the feeders.
I’m not sure I know what you mean about vitamins have nothing to do with gut contents. While it’s unclear whether what an insect actually has in its gi tract at the time of consumption passes straight on to the consumer, many vitamins are stored in other tissue such as the eyes, the fat, etc. So regardless of what’s in the guts, feeding vitamins to bugs might make a difference. At any rate, calcium is a mineral, and feeding it to bugs can change their ca/p ratio significantly...at least according to many sources including Finke.

I’m not sure I know what you mean about vitamins have nothing to do with gut contents. While it’s unclear whether what an insect actually has in its gi tract at the time of consumption passes straight on to the consumer, many vitamins are stored in other tissue such as the eyes, the fat, etc. So regardless of what’s in the guts, feeding vitamins to bugs might make a difference. At any rate, calcium is a mineral, and feeding it to bugs can change their ca/p ratio significantly...at least according to many sources including Finke.

This is where I'm confused, if we're changing the ca p ratio, and still dusting... could we overdo the calcium? How much does dusting even change it? I'm getting carried away now though and I'm tight on time(hence the fast typing/responses). I'll have to check back later

Exactly the vitamins are stored into the body rather than the gut. The calcium of the diet is stored in the gut for when the reptile is being fed. If I remember the studies correctly lol.

This is where I'm confused, if we're changing the ca p ratio, and still dusting... could we overdo the calcium? How much does dusting even change it? I'm getting carried away now though and I'm tight on time(hence the fast typing/responses). I'll have to check back later
That’s a good question. My limited understanding is that it’s pretty hard to overdose on plain calcium, but I stand to be corrected. As I understand it, too much calcium PLUS too much d3 can be an issue, but not just too much calcium. Again, that is my Uber-layman understanding, and my guess is that we don’t actually have a “full-stop” answer here. Of course, drinking too much water can be dangerous, but when it comes to dusting/gutloading with calcium (without d3), I’m not sure overdose is a concern. Perhaps @ferretinmyshoes can weigh in here?

That’s a good question. My limited understanding is that it’s pretty hard to overdose on plain calcium, but I stand to be corrected. As I understand it, too much calcium PLUS too much d3 can be an issue, but not just too much calcium. Again, that is my Uber-layman understanding, and my guess is that we don’t actually have a “full-stop” answer here. Of course, drinking too much water can be dangerous, but when it comes to dusting/gutloading with calcium (without d3), I’m not sure overdose is a concern. Perhaps @ferretinmyshoes can weigh in here?

You may be right, I honestly don't know I'd have to look into it. I have read that over intake of calcium with people is dangerous as calcium blocks the absorption of other minerals(I think our bodies take calcium before other things, my dumb understanding at least). I'd imagine they need some sort of balanced calcium+phosphorus ratio too for bones?

All of the gutloading diets I have. Just missing T-Rex cricket diet dust which has the needed amount of calcium but I don’t know what they’ve done to the calcium plus cricket diet since it seems to be more of a “maintenance diet” for increasing vitamins before they’re gutloaded with their high calcium diet.

Attachments

• FE599B0D-E804-4621-A049-FDAEC9CD773C.jpeg
    FE599B0D-E804-4621-A049-FDAEC9CD773C.jpeg
    182.8 KB · Views: 106
I don't even own a chameleon but I would like to join in and see if a gutloading study I have read would help. There is a study where Repashy Superload was tested against Mazuri Better Bug, Timberline, Mazuri Hi calcium Cricket Diet, and a control of crickets fed fresh produce and then dusted with a supplement. I'll need to double check the rules and make sure I can post the link to this study. I have been thinking about signing in and criticizing the gutload sheet that this forum has based off of the studies that I have read. I saw how proven gutloading diets were disregarded simply for not having a good looking top ingredient list or not being "fresh" but you seem to have read pretty much everything that I have and I'd be happy to share my opinion on this subject. :)
I find this interesting... You just made an account. You do not have a chameleon. But you have been thinking about signing in just to criticize the gutload image we have within the forum...

Seems a bit odd to me. What are your interests in gutload. What feeders do you gutload? What gutload do you use? And what Reptiles are you using it for? Because making an account to join a forum for an animal you don't even have for the soul purpose of criticizing something within the forum seems very very odd to me.

I find this interesting... You just made an account. You do not have a chameleon. But you have been thinking about signing in just to criticize the gutload image we have within the forum...

Seems a bit odd to me. What are your interests in gutload. What feeders do you gutload? What gutload do you use? And what Reptiles are you using it for? Because making an account to join a forum for an animal you don't even have for the soul purpose of criticizing something within the forum seems very very odd to me.
Ok very long comment I’m sorry. I want to study exotic animal nutrition in college. It wasn’t just the gutloading picture on the forum but also some threads that made me really really want to post scientific evidence on gutloading diets. I used to follow the gutloading guidelines from this forum but then I began reading studies on the subject and found that there could be improvement on the gutloading advice. Currently I gutload dubia roaches, crickets, mealworms, superworms, and hornworms. I want to add other feeders such as Cuban roaches, spike maggots, and lesser mealworms which all may have different gutloading diets that they prefer.

I use a maintenance diet then a gutloading diet. The maintenance diet is for increasing vitamins A,D,and E while the gutloading diet is for calcium. I use Mazuri timothy based guinea pig diet mixed with some D- alpha tocopheryl for maintenance. I use this as a substrate for the meal/superworms and for the dubia roaches and crickets I mix in a little bit of bee pollen for palatability. Carrots, sweet potatoes, and wet paper towels are used for moisture and helping with creating a strong feeder body. I then put a few insects into a separate bin for gutloading, I like to use Mazuri Better Bug for the crickets, roaches, and superworms. Then for the hornworms I like to use Repashy Superload in gel form. No fresh produce is served to the feeders in the gutloading phase as I believe it is said in one of the many gutloading studies that the feeders will eat this instead of the gutload.

This is all for a leopard gecko. Just one reptile ?. and a tarantula.

I think gutloading is a fun subject to talk about and maybe the word criticize is too strong of a word lol. I guess provide my opinion on the subject would be a better way to explain why I wanted to join. I’m so sorry if I’m making any of you uncomfortable with me coming here without a chameleon just to talk about one but important subject. I could perhaps learn more about this and other subjects through being on this forum though.

Attachments

• D135C0A0-9EFB-4582-B963-FC48E4B7CCD0.jpeg
    D135C0A0-9EFB-4582-B963-FC48E4B7CCD0.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 91
  • D6E41721-89E7-4364-9408-24AF2C4AD531.jpeg
    D6E41721-89E7-4364-9408-24AF2C4AD531.jpeg
    182.8 KB · Views: 83
@Gryllidae Per Kcal said..."Fresh produce simply doesn't provide the necessary nutrients to increase calcium and vitamins to targeted levels"... While I have never had a way to measure the levels of nutrients in my chameleons, in over 30 years of keeping them the only cases of MBD or other disease that likely came from poor nutrient levels were almost non existent in my chameleons. (All sick chameleons and almost all dead bodies went to the vets for treatment/necropsy so issues would have shown up.) most of my veiled females for example lived to be 7 or so and had no egglaying issues, etc. I would think if there had been
nutrient issues my chameleons would have had some issues.
I fed/gutloaded the crickets, superworms, etc with veggies and greens and a bit of fruit as I have posted on here many times and dusted with Rep Cal phos free calcium powder at almost every feeding, twice s month with Rep Cal phos free calcium/D3 powder and twice a month with Herptivite...all used lightly. I provided UVB light with Reptisun 5.0 long linear tube lights most of the time.
Since that is what was done and you're saying fresh produce won't provide proper nutrients, I wonder how they/mine got enough nutrients?

Last edited:
@Gryllidae Per Kcal said..."Fresh produce simply doesn't provide the necessary nutrients to increase calcium and vitamins to targeted levels"... While I have never had a way to measure the levels of nutrients in my chameleons, in over 30 years of keeping them the only cases of MBD or other disease that likely came from poor nutrient levels were almost mpnormalcnormal existent in my chameleons. (All sick chameleons and almost all dead bodies went to the vets for treatment/necropsy so issues would have shown up.) most of my veiled females for example lived to be 7 or so and had no egglaying issues, etc. I would think if there had been
nutrient issues my chameleons would have had some issues.
I fed/gutloaded the crickets, superworms, etc with veggies and greens and a bit of fruit as I have posted on here many times and dusted with Rep Cal phos free calcium powder at almost every feeding, twice s month with Rep Cal phos free calcium/D3 powder and twice a month with Herptivite...all used lightly. I provided UVB light with Reptisun 5.0 long linear tube lights most of the time.
Since then is what was done and you're saying fresh produce won't provide proper nutrients, I wonder how they got enough nutrients?
The calcium and multi vitamin dust. Dusting supplements are known to increase nutrients higher than gutloading diets. I personally believe that both a gutloading diet with a proven ability to improve the calcium to phosphorus ratio in insects and dusting should be done. I'm not trying to say that my way is better I'm sorry if I made it seem that way.

Back
Top Bottom