Gut loading - Do's and Dont's

Bernie

Hi guys.

I know it's important to gutload your feeders with fruits and veggies. So far I have used lettuce & carrot.

The reason I haven't used other things is because I am not sure if any are bad for Cham's.

Can fresh tomatoes be used? Are they ok? How about cucumber?

Most are probably fine but please list any that are not good.

Many thanks.

haha wasent there a post about how "you know your addicted to chams when your feeders eat better than you do"?? hahaha

All the links recommended so far are excellent! The link in my signature is a chart with the nutritional info on commonly available fruits and veggies if you're looking for more resources. Aim for those higher in calcium than phosphorus and avoid goitrogens and oxalates. It's geared for iguanas but the nutritional concepts are the same.

Hi guys.
I know it's important to gutload your feeders with fruits and veggies. So far I have used lettuce & carrot.
The reason I haven't used other things is because I am not sure if any are bad for Cham's.
Can fresh tomatoes be used? Are they ok? How about cucumber?
Most are probably fine but please list any that are not good.
Many thanks.

Hi
Carrots are good. Lettuce is mostly pointless, and cucumbers too.
Fresh tomatoes (the fruit, NOT the leaves) are okay.
Better choices include: dandelion greens, mustard greens, papaya, butternut squash, kelp, spirulina, yam. For a more extensive list, see:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/75-feeder-nutrition-gutloading.html

some foods have many uses

as a gut load i use cricket crack but for the crickets water I give them carrots that have been soaked in water and do the same thing with apples it forces the crickets to eat more and they gain extra nutritional content

as a gut load i use cricket crack but for the crickets water I give them carrots that have been soaked in water and do the same thing with apples it forces the crickets to eat more and they gain extra nutritional content

That sounds awesome, i'm going to have to try that. Thanks.

Another couple of questions on this subject....

After a day or two, the greens and other veggies tend to dry out within my cricket keeper. Is it best to remove and replace with fresh ones when this happens?

And should the veggies be dusted with calcium/vitamins?

Another couple of questions on this subject....
After a day or two, the greens and other veggies tend to dry out within my cricket keeper. Is it best to remove and replace with fresh ones when this happens?
And should the veggies be dusted with calcium/vitamins?

Yes, replace fruits and veg at least every second day. Just put less in to start with so there isnt too much waste.
No, do not dust the veggies with calcium (too much ingested calcium supplement will kill crickets). Better/easier to dust the bugs.

One strategy I use is to actually starve my crickets that are to be gut loaded:

I have a large colony that I feed regularly, but the group that is to become "food" for my Cham in a few days I put in a separate container. When they haven't eaten in a few days, they are easier to gutload. They eat so much they can barely move... So they are easier to catch! I usually "gutload" 3-5 hours in advance of feeding, so that the nutrients in their stomachs doesn't get broken down.

Back
Top Bottom