Gut Load

I have an insect farm. I've got a large tote of crickets, and one for dubia. Then I have smaller totes for my wax worms, super worms and bsfl. I did have silks too but I haven't gotten more because i was feeling overwhelmed with all the bug upkeep on top of everything else in my life.
Um yeah I could imagine that seems like a lot haha. I think ima keep some crickets to gut load then have an auto delivery setup for roaches and others I think.

Um yeah I could imagine that seems like a lot haha. I think ima keep some crickets to gut load then have an auto delivery setup for roaches and others I think.
So as a juvenile their main source should be crickets? With roaches and worms now and again? And when should I change his diet to a more rotating schedule with snacks like caterpillars and things like horned worms? Those seem a bit too big for him right now. He’s about 4 months I believe

I have an insect farm. I've got a large tote of crickets, and one for dubia. Then I have smaller totes for my wax worms, super worms and bsfl. I did have silks too but I haven't gotten more because i was feeling overwhelmed with all the bug upkeep on top of everything else in my life.
Also do you have a set time to feed your Cham? Once a day? Multiple? I have juvenile panther.

So as a juvenile their main source should be crickets? With roaches and worms now and again? And when should I change his diet to a more rotating schedule with snacks like caterpillars and things like horned worms? Those seem a bit too big for him right now. He’s about 4 months I believe
Not necessarily. A lot of breeders use crickets because they are an easier feeder to care for so lose juveniles are familiar with crickets. They can eat any feeder.

Also do you have a set time to feed your Cham? Once a day? Multiple? I have juvenile panther.
I feed my juvenile 15 crickets very morning at 8 am when his lights turn on. I also put 20 other feeders in a bird cup. Mostly I use bsfl. And I’ll usually throw in a couple wax or supers. He eats out of it sometimes but mostly my guy prefers the crickets.

I feed my juvenile 15 crickets very morning at 8 am when his lights turn on. I also put 20 other feeders in a bird cup. Mostly I use bsfl. And I’ll usually throw in a couple wax or supers. He eats out of it sometimes but mostly my guy prefers the crickets.
Oh wow how old is he? My guys not too big here’s a pic. If your guys as big as mine I gotta start feeding him much more. My issue was the feeder thing I had for crickets was terrible they just got right onto the screen and would hide until they’d die he’d only catch a few then they’d be in the plants hidden. I’m building today the one shown on chameleon school with the 1gal jug. I ordered a good one (from user experiences in this forum) but won’t be here for a bit will use the jug until it’s here.

Attachments

• IMG_1758.jpeg
    IMG_1758.jpeg
    274.6 KB · Views: 42
Oh wow how old is he? My guys not too big here’s a pic. If your guys as big as mine I gotta start feeding him much more. My issue was the feeder thing I had for crickets was terrible they just got right onto the screen and would hide until they’d die he’d only catch a few then they’d be in the plants hidden. I’m building today the one shown on chameleon school with the 1gal jug. I ordered a good one (from user experiences in this forum) but won’t be here for a bit will use the jug until it’s here.
For a bit of context for size that’s the XL reptibreeze 24x24x48 I’d say he’s about 6” head to tail maybe

Chameleon academy* haha

I resisted for awhile starting a roach colony, but eventually gave in. One thing led to another and I’ve had fun learning how to breed other buggy feeders. Currently just have my roach colony and buy the rest.
Been told on a group that constantly feeding good food isn't the same as gut loading? I've asked to explain no reply 😆am I missing something?

Been told on a group that constantly feeding good food isn't the same as gut loading? I've asked to explain no reply 😆am I missing something?
True gut loading is feeding the bugs nutritious things shortly before feeding them. Depending on the feeder and how quickly they digest would determine how long before feeding to gut load. Like for crickets, I would think about 30-45 minutes would be the time. Technically, it’s not the same. I prefer to keep my bugs well fed and have them be and remain healthy rather than just give them nutrients right before feeding.

A good example of something that I would truly use gut loading for, would be if I wanted my chameleons to get bee pollen. Rather than dust their feeders with it, I would give it to the feeders to eat about 30 minutes before giving them to chameleon.

Idk much but bugs from stores aren’t gut loaded which give the chams more nutrients

A good example of something that I would truly use gut loading for, would be if I wanted my chameleons to get bee pollen. Rather than dust their feeders with it, I would give it to the feeders to eat about 30 minutes before giving them to chameleon.
Like I feed my bugs bee pollen, but as you mentioned feeding and gutload not exactly the same but as I use earth pro a which contains bee pollen I don't know if gutload with bee pollen b4 feeding would be good for me ( I don't know what amount there is in arcadia ) I suppose just worry about overdoing it

Like I feed my bugs bee pollen, but as you mentioned feeding and gutload not exactly the same but as I use earth pro a which contains bee pollen I don't know if gutload with bee pollen b4 feeding would be good for me ( I don't know what amount there is in arcadia ) I suppose just worry about overdoing it
When you gut load them with bee pollen or whatever you just put the ones you’re feeding the Cham in another enclosure with the gut load? I assume they just always eat when there’s food?

Well we have different breeds. Mine is a Jackson's Xantholophus. I don't know how to compare sizes between a Xanth and a Panther. My boy is going to be 7 months old on the 16th of September. Regardless of size your baby should be eating 10-12 feeders a day. Also so long as he is eating, pooping and growing I wouldn't stress too much. Just keep doing what you are doing, the feeder run should help a ton! Smooth out the edges of the home-made run so baby doesn't hurt his tongue on the sharp edges.

Here is a pic of my boy now, he is still quite small compared to my adult panther but he is growing well.

Attachments

• IMG-7689.jpg
    IMG-7689.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 38
Well we have different breeds. Mine is a Jackson's Xantholophus. I don't know how to compare sizes between a Xanth and a Panther. My boy is going to be 7 months old on the 16th of September. Regardless of size your baby should be eating 10-12 feeders a day. Also so long as he is eating, pooping and growing I wouldn't stress too much. Just keep doing what you are doing, the feeder run should help a ton! Smooth out the edges of the home-made run so baby doesn't hurt his tongue on the sharp edges.

Here is a pic of my boy now, he is still quite small compared to my adult panther but he is growing well.
Also if your boy is 4 months old he will still be pretty small (and adorable). I would bet that like my guy, at 6 months he will basically have doubled in size....they grow fast.

Awesome! Yeah my enclosure now has tons of foliage hard to find any poop I’ll look better tm. But when he was in the smaller one I saw some and looked healthy and hydrated. My feeder will be here tm. I had wax worms super worms and roaches here I fed him each day. Each time he’s left something behind so figured he’s been eating his fill. Do you guys remove the feeders after he eats or leave em for the day see if he goes back to eat more or do they eat once and done for the day?

Awesome! Yeah my enclosure now has tons of foliage hard to find any poop I’ll look better tm. But when he was in the smaller one I saw some and looked healthy and hydrated. My feeder will be here tm. I had wax worms super worms and roaches here I fed him each day. Each time he’s left something behind so figured he’s been eating his fill. Do you guys remove the feeders after he eats or leave em for the day see if he goes back to eat more or do they eat once and done for the day?
My guy will eat some and bask and eat some more and bask pretty much all day long. I put feeders in his enclosure at 8 am, and then remove what is left over at 7:30 pm. His lights turn off st 8.

You’ll want to make sure you can find his poop both for sanitary reasons and to keep monitoring his health. I have only three plants on the bottom of my enclosure so I can still monitor and keep things clean but still give him lots of coverage.

My guy will eat some and bask and eat some more and bask pretty much all day long. I put feeders in his enclosure at 8 am, and then remove what is left over at 7:30 pm. His lights turn off st 8.

You’ll want to make sure you can find his poop both for sanitary reasons and to keep monitoring his health. I have only three plants on the bottom of my enclosure so I can still monitor and keep things clean but still give him lots of coverage.
Yeah I finally have a good plant light being delivered today and the dragon clips and cricket feeder so ima be moving things around today. And I do the same. 8-8 I have lights on. Feeders I was doing when lights came on and he normally eats most of em within an hour or two. If there’s none left I’ll add more. If not I just remove. But with the new feeder I can keep a nice selection for the day for him. Thank you for all your help it made it easier for me and I appreciate that!

Yeah I finally have a good plant light being delivered today and the dragon clips and cricket feeder so ima be moving things around today. And I do the same. 8-8 I have lights on. Feeders I was doing when lights came on and he normally eats most of em within an hour or two. If there’s none left I’ll add more. If not I just remove. But with the new feeder I can keep a nice selection for the day for him. Thank you for all your help it made it easier for me and I appreciate that!
And yeah I need to find poop it’s hard right now it’s very covered on the bottom so maybe will remove a plant or two we’ll see how I can arrange it with the dragon clips, I think they’ll make it much easier to put things where I want them

Back
Top Bottom