Gut Load

pascal2023

Avid Member
So I’ve been gut loading crickets, hoppers ect using fruit, veg and leafy greens (that are of course suitable for a chameleon too) and I have brought a tub of “feed/ powder stuff” for the insects from my local pet store, I wanted to know what you all use ?

🪳🦗

I want something higher quality and just generally want to try them on a different brand, also any thoughts on hydration gel?

🥭🥬

Preferably things that can easily be purchased from the UK (in store or online somewhere) as it’ll be easier and quicker 🇬🇧

So I’ve been gut loading crickets, hoppers ect using fruit, veg and leafy greens (that are of course suitable for a chameleon too) and I have brought a tub of “feed/ powder stuff” for the insects from my local pet store, I wanted to know what you all use ?

🪳🦗

I want something higher quality and just generally want to try them on a different brand, also any thoughts on hydration gel?

🥭🥬
EA4ECF3B-7EBE-4FA9-A9C7-A7AC02624FEA.jpeg

Currently what I’m using 🪱

I keep my feeder colonies well fed at all times with a variety of the same fresh veggies and fruit that I give my bearded dragon. To make sure to round things out I also give some Repashy Bug Burger that I’ve added bee pollen and spirulina to. I’m not familiar with the bug grub and haven’t tried the Arcadia insect fuel. You would probably be fine to add either to your fresh produce.

Okay Thankyou, I was thinking about bee pollen, I wasn’t sure what benefits it would have?

But yes I am continuing with freed fruit and veggies. I read somewhere that it’s a good idea to blend it all too 🪰
I keep my feeder colonies well fed at all times with a variety of the same fresh veggies and fruit that I give my bearded dragon. To make sure to round things out I also give some Repashy Bug Burger that I’ve added bee pollen and spirulina to. I’m not familiar with the bug grub and haven’t tried the Arcadia insect fuel. You would probably be fine to add either to your fresh produce

🪳🦗

🥭🥬
Hi so I do a bit of it all , constantly feed fresh leafy greens veg ,fruit ,+arcadia insect fuel and organic bee pollen, some feeders like some stuff more than others so having a variety of feeders is good , as things have been a bit of a mess with covid and the world in general, when I get a decent amount of gutload stuff I blitz the ingredients as mentioned and put them in ice cube trays once frozen remove and put them in appropriate bags to avoid freezer burn ( make sure to label and date ) they aren't great in a cocktail lol , I also write down what went into them and sometimes alternate to different stuff. Along with feeding feeders bee pollen ( which I purchase from golden greens and spiruluna) there is an alternative to spiruluna can't remember. But anyway also dusting feeders with bee pollen once or twice a month

I’m new Cham owner and my local pet store (family owned) does not gut load so wondering if there’s an all in one I can get? Reading about repashy but don’t know if that’s all I’d need to give? You mix with water so assuming that hydrated them too. Also this stuff good for all the feeders like roaches?

You could just use those commercially made gut loads. I personally make my own because it is cheaper and then I throw in fruits and veggies as well just to top off the bugs if they want something different or more. This is what I do:

Attachments

• Gut Load.jpg
    Gut Load.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 27
I’m new Cham owner and my local pet store (family owned) does not gut load so wondering if there’s an all in one I can get? Reading about repashy but don’t know if that’s all I’d need to give? You mix with water so assuming that hydrated them too. Also this stuff good for all the feeders like roaches?
While I use Repashy Bug Burger, it is not the main food that I give to my insects. I feed my bugs the same greens and veggies that I give to my bearded dragons for their salads, a little fruit and a little bug burger just to round things out. I don’t specifically gut load, but just keep my bugs well fed and healthy. Unless they require a special diet like hornworms & silkworms do, I feed all of my bugs the same things. Most insects are able to get enough hydration through their fresh foods. Only when it’s crazy hot do I give my roaches (which are kept in the baking hot garage) the water jelly and I always lightly mist the sides of their bin about once a week.

While I use Repashy Bug Burger, it is not the main food that I give to my insects. I feed my bugs the same greens and veggies that I give to my bearded dragons for their salads, a little fruit and a little bug burger just to round things out. I don’t specifically gut load, but just keep my bugs well fed and healthy. Unless they require a special diet like hornworms & silkworms do, I feed all of my bugs the same things. Most insects are able to get enough hydration through their fresh foods. Only when it’s crazy hot do I give my roaches (which are kept in the baking hot garage) the water jelly and I always lightly mist the sides of their bin about once a week.
So you have an insect farm too haha I was trying to avoid that. Well at least avoid having a lot. I don’t mind getting a shipment once a week for insects and have them in small containers for the week ya know

So you have an insect farm too haha I was trying to avoid that. Well at least avoid having a lot. I don’t mind getting a shipment once a week for insects and have them in small containers for the week ya know
I resisted for awhile starting a roach colony, but eventually gave in. One thing led to another and I’ve had fun learning how to breed other buggy feeders. Currently just have my roach colony and buy the rest.

I have an insect farm. I've got a large tote of crickets, and one for dubia. Then I have smaller totes for my wax worms, super worms and bsfl. I did have silks too but I haven't gotten more because i was feeling overwhelmed with all the bug upkeep on top of everything else in my life.

Back
Top Bottom