Gulping

JoeG

Female panther started moving her tongue back & forth like gulping & when she's not doing that she has her head pointed straight up with her mouth open. I thought I saw her facing down in the plant this morning. Could it be a piece of dirt stuck in her throat if she shot her tongue at the dirt ? I've seen her do that in her laying bin at the sand.

Is there any thing else in the cage that she could have injested besides the dirt? Something bigger in size?

Nothing out of the ordinary. I just got back home, its 10pm , she is wide awake still doing the tongue thing . she would normally be sound asleep at lights out 2 hours ago. Not sure what would help ?

Gosh, don't know what to tell you. What you are describing is very weird. I hope whatever it is subsides.

Just went in there to check on her & she looks asleep standing up with her head pointed straight up.

That is so bizarre. Is she somewhat friendly? The reason I am asking is, tomorrow when she wakes up is there anyway you could look inside of her mouth and see if there is something stuck there? A member about a week ago had a hornworm stuck to the roof of her chams mouth and it had to physically be pulled off. It was hanging on inside!

I was thinking the same thing , I don't think she will like it, even more so because she is gravid , but I think I have to try something . I was also thinking of using a dropper to get some water in her mouth to maybe rinse out anything that might be in there

I would think by now if it was some type of feeder it would be dead by now from being closed inside her mouth. Hopefully you will wake up tomorrow and she will just be sitting there normal... If not and you figure out what it is, let me know incase I ever run into the same situation. Good luck with everything!

What you have described are all symptoms of URI aka upper respiratory infection. Tomorrow check her mouth and find out whether or not she has a thick mucus inside.

How long has she been gravid? Does she have a place in the cage to dig to show you when she's ready to lay the eggs?
Has she laid eggs before?
Can you post a picture please?

Are there any popping noises when she is breathing with her mouth open? Any excess mucous in her mouth?

You said..."I thought I saw her facing down in the plant this morning"...what do you mean??

Also while you have her out put your ear close to her snout and see if you can hear her breathing/wheezing/bubbling/popping (oops kinyonga beat me by a minute)... what is your humidity usually at? Do you let cage completely dry out in between mistings and before lights out?

How long has she been gravid? Has she laid eggs before?
Can you post a picture of her please?
Does she have a place in her cage to dig to show you when she's ready to lay eggs?

Do you hear any popping/wheezing sounds coming from her mouth?

You said..."I thought I saw her facing down in the plant this morning"...can you explain please?

Didn't you just lose a female and have another chameleon with problems similar to this?? Do you quarantine new arrivals in another room?

What you have described are all symptoms of URI aka upper respiratory infection. Tomorrow check her mouth and find out whether or not she has a thick mucus inside.

gosh, did not even notice in the first post that it said "mouth open" I just saw about the tongue. Read too fast I guess. My question is if they sleep with their head straight up, that can be a sign of a resp infection? I know about the mouth gaping, but if their mouth is closed and you see no mucous or bubbling just by they way they hold their head can signal RI then?.

gosh, did not even notice in the first post that it said "mouth open" I just saw about the tongue. Read too fast I guess. My question is if they sleep with their head straight up, that can be a sign of a resp infection? I know about the mouth gaping, but if their mouth is closed and you see no mucous or bubbling just by they way they hold their head can signal RI then?.

Yes if they continually hold their snout upward then it is a good sign of a respiratory infection

Yes if they continually hold their snout upward then it is a good sign of a respiratory infection

ok thanks Michael!!! I did not know that!! That is why I love this forum!!! Sorry GIjoe if I was leading you on the wrong track. I hope it turns out not to be a resp infection and your cham will be ok.

She had her mouth open.. still up at 10 because her breathing could of been really compromised but when she finally fell asleep (passed out) her mouth closed, atleast my theory but I hope I'm wrong.

OK so she looked alittle better this morning , checked for mucous & didn't see any.

How long has she been gravid? Does she have a place in the cage to dig to show you when she's ready to lay the eggs?
Has she laid eggs before?
Can you post a picture please?

Are there any popping noises when she is breathing with her mouth open? Any excess mucous in her mouth?

You said..."I thought I saw her facing down in the plant this morning"...what do you mean??

She copulated in the third week of december & has not laid eggs.
I did hear light popping when I put her up to my ear this morning/ no mucous.
Iput a couple drops of water in her mouth just in case something was stuck but couldn't open her mouth far enough to get a good look. Do you think reptaid would help
By facing down, I meant she was at the base of the plant looking downward into the pot. I've seen her shoot at the sand in the laying bin & was thinking maybe she tasted the dirt.

Also while you have her out put your ear close to her snout and see if you can hear her breathing/wheezing/bubbling/popping (oops kinyonga beat me by a minute)... what is your humidity usually at? Do you let cage completely dry out in between mistings and before lights out?

Yes I heard some popping this morning . The humidity is usually between 50 & 75 % & the enclosure does dry out between mistings.

ok thanks Michael!!! I did not know that!! That is why I love this forum!!! Sorry GIjoe if I was leading you on the wrong track. I hope it turns out not to be a resp infection and your cham will be ok.

Thank you for your help. I believe everyone's experience is important & worth consideration.....

Back
Top Bottom