Gular Edema or Flexed Hyoid Bone?

Waldo update:

I took Waldo in to see Dr. Tom Greek today, and was told that it is a minor respiratory infection. He told me to see if Waldo will bounce back from this on his own as he has been getting better since he has been in my care. He also said that if I do feel things start to get worse that all I have to do is give him a call and he'll mail me the antibiotics.

He also noticed that there was a little bit of debris in one of Waldo's eyes. Nothing major just something in there causing some annoyance to Waldo. I will be giving longer warm mistings, directed at him until this clears up. If there is something else I should be doing for this, please let me know.

So, I will be keeping a close eye on Waldo and will be watching to see if the symptoms get better or worse. Right now the only thing concerning me is that he isn't eating much. So, I will be watching his food intake as well and use this as a guide to if he's getting better or worse.

Thank you for the help and advice,
Jake

Here is an updated picture of him, sorry for the double post.

Attachments

• waldo80709.jpg
    waldo80709.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 158
Though I am sure none of this was expected, but your first foray into chameleons is quite commendable. Keep up the awesome work.

Personally, I'm impressed with, and happy, that you are doing all you can do to make it right for the little guy. A chameleon's hero and good friend. :D

He's a gorgeous looking little fella! There's something special about these gorgeous creatures! Keep up the good work!:D

Thank you everyone for the compliments :D. Right now I'm focusing on using saline to clear out his eye. He is noticeably more active since I got him, and he is finally exploring his entire cage, whereas before he would only stay in the most dense areas of the cage. He also seems to be eating more as I woke up a little late today and saw an empty feeder bowl :). So we will see if he keeps improving or not.

Thanks,
Jake

Another update:

Waldo's appetite seems to be slowly increasing and he appears to be getting ready for his first shed in my care. And also, as I said, he had some debris in one of his eyes. Well, that seems to be clearing up a little bit as well. I have been putting saline on his eye and letting him clean it out, rather than just regular water. It seems to be working as his eye looks clearer, fuller, and more alert.

I would also like to say thank you for all the advice everybody has given me here, I would never of done this well without you guys.

Anyways, here is a picture of Waldo meeting a moth. I don't think they got along all that well :cool::p.

Attachments

• waldomeetsmoth80809.jpg
    waldomeetsmoth80809.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 146
Update:

Well I think Waldo may be reversing his direction and going back downhill. Although he has more of an appetite and will eat from my hand, he has fallen off of my arm a few times while i had him outside. It seems like it is happening too much for it to just be one of those things that happens every now and then, and the thought crossed my mind that maybe he was jumping off to get off of my arm. So, my question is this, would it be very apparent that he meant to jump or would it be very subtle?

Another symptom: I've heard him open his mouth and make a squeaking noise a few times. Is this a sign of the RI getting worse? Could this just be his attempt at hissing but the current RI makes it sound like a squeak? Or is this something else altogether?

Did he ever get antibiotics?

Dr. Tom Greek said that I could see if Waldo would make it through on his own without antibiotics as he said that Waldo did not look that bad to him. So I opted to avoid stressing Waldo out with antibiotics if I did not have to.

Well-it sounds like you need to call Dr. Greek and see about further treatment.

Indeed it does.

However, I am now questioning if I am the right person to be treating Waldo as this is my first chameleon and I do not think I am experienced enough to be dealing with this problem already :eek:. I think I have done a pretty good job as this is my first chameleon, but I think somebody with experience would be better for Waldo, and I think that would give him the best chance to live. I am attached to Waldo already, but I need to be able to realize the boundaries of my lack of experience and limit of my knowledge and know when I am not the best thing for him. So, as much as this saddens me to say, I am willing to pay for the medication to treat Waldo if somebody local with experience will take him in and give him the treatment. I think it is what is best for Waldo.

If you would like to take him in please send me a message and we can discuss things further.

Thanks,
Jake

Treating for URI is pretty standard stuff. I doubt anyone really could do a better job then you could with the proper instructions. This is also not the time you want to be relocating him.

Treating for URI is pretty standard stuff. I doubt anyone really could do a better job then you could with the proper instructions. This is also not the time you want to be relocating him.

I just want whats best for him, whether it's me, or somebody else that has more experience. If relocating him is not a good idea, then I won't. I am more than willing to give him whatever treatment he needs, I just thought that somebody with experience would be more suited for treating him.

Well I think Waldo enjoys throwing me on a roller coaster because he looks a little better today :confused:.

The eye that had debris in it seems like it is cleared out now and should be back to normal after his next shed which appears to be approaching.

And I think he ate two dubia roaches that I had in his feeder bowl this morning when I was still asleep, as I woke up to two dubias missing and a lone cricket in the feeder bowl while he was basking, and he continued to bask for quite some time.

There is a chance that maybe they had escaped as I felt around the sides of the plastic and it felt slightly rough in some areas, but I am hoping that this is not the case and that he did indeed find and eat them for the first time. I also think that he did eat them because I just found the biggest poop I've even seen come from him and was suspiciously around the size of the two missing dubia :cool::p:D.

So, since he is improving once again, I am doing something right and it appears that I do not have to give him up to better his chance at survival.

I called Dr. Tom Greek and he is now shipping me some medicine for Waldo.

Alright, now here comes a question.

I have been seeing Waldo frequent to the same area at the bottom of his cage and he looks like he's hunting. Even though there is a feeder bowl with food in there.

So, my question is this, should I relocate my feeder bowl to where he seems to favor hunting?

It appears he goes there nearly every day and always looks like he's hunting but once he see's me he heads back up to the top.

Thanks,
Jake

Back
Top Bottom