Gular Edema or Flexed Hyoid Bone?

Jakedn

I have received a chameleon three days ago and it showed up with a RI and possible gular edema. At times I have noticed that his throat appears very swollen, and at other times, not swollen at all. He is only 2 months of age, and is a male veiled chameleon. I know this is quite young to have gular edema but I want to make sure.

At first I was very worried that this was gular edema and I do not know much about it, I have done my homework but this seems to be something I did not find much reading on. After researching gular edema, I also wanted to research the anatomy of their throat in more detail, as this is where the swelling occurs.

Through this research I have found that with gular edema the fluid retention that causes the swelling is usually closer to the chest. On 'Waldo' his swelling is closer to the head, and also where the hyoid bone is.

I also found that when feeling threatened the chameleon will push his hyoid bone down in an attempt to look more massive and threatening. Is this what I am seeing? It looks like a bit much for him just pushing his hyoid bone down, but I also do not know much about it, hence why I am asking for help. If this is his hyoid bone, does it look irregular in any means, as I have never seen any picture of a chameleon doing it to the extreme that Waldo is doing it.

Attached is a picture of the 'swelling'.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Waldo is in a screen cage purchased from FLChams. the dimensions are 16x16x30
* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I am using a Reptisun 5.0 linear UVB light.
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? The hottest area he can reach I allow to get no hotter than 85. The lowest overnight temperature gets down to the mid-high 70's. I measure these temperatures via a digital thermometer/hygrometer from Acurite.
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? My humidity levels are maintained at mid 50's and spike up to high 60's. I create this humidity by using a live hibiscus that fills the cage, a dripper that is on nearly the entire day, and mistings once to twice a day for 5 minutes each time.
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes, I am using a hibiscus plant.
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? The cage is located near a window that recieves no direct sunlight, and has low traffic. The cage is approximately standing at the highest point at around 5 and a half feet tall.
* Location - Where are you geographically located? I am located in Southern California.

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Waldo is a male veiled chameleon that is 2 months old and has been in my care for three days.
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I only handle my chameleon to take him out to get sunlight and inspect him to see if his RI is getting better or worse. He has only been handled three times.
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I am feeding him crickets, dubia, and pheonix worms. However, he has only been eating crickets so far and they are gutloaded on fresh oranges, zucchini, sweet potato, celery, and carrots. He is fed via a feeder bowl along with a few free roaming crickets. It appears he has only been eating 5 crickets a day. Although he has access to more.
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I have Rep Cal calcium w/o d3 and is phosphorous free. It is dusted with the Rep Cal at every other feeding. I have yet to give him, but have Reptivite vitamins w/ d3. I will be giving him this next week as I do not know when the last time he was given d3 or vitamins was.
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I water him via a dripper that is running nearly all day, and a mister that I mist him with twice a day for five minutes each time. When I mist I mist the leaves around him to get them all to drip and then I mist near him. I have seen him take some of the water in via licking his lips when a drop from a leaf landed on him while I misted.
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? His fecal appears solid brown with a pure white urate. Waldo has not been tested for parasites yet.
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. I do not know of his history, he has only been in my care for three days.
* Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about. See the beginning of post for details.

Attachments

• sickwaldo.jpg
    sickwaldo.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 354
Could you please get another clear picture if possible, at different angles? It looks swollen, like state in another thread you made.

What happened to the vet visit?

Might want to include your old thread: https://www.chameleonforums.com/possible-respiratory-infection-28298/

Thank you for posting the link here. I decided upon taking him to the vet Wednesday to let him acclimate a bit before going as he does not appear to be getting worse. But for the meantime while he has not been diagnosed by the vet yet, I would like to know what you guys think of this so i know what the best course of action is to take and if there is anything I can do prior to going to the vet.

I have noticed the pushing of that byoid bone in a URI. I wonder if it is a natural movement done to push mucus away? Have you seen any strings when the mouth is open?

I have not seen any strings when his mouth is open, however I have seen spit bubbles. This is quite interesting if these may be connected. It does make sense though.

Where do you live in Southern CA? There's two excellent vets in the LA area. I would recommend you take him for a check up and get started on the proper treatment for him.

Where do you live in Southern CA? There's two excellent vets in the LA area. I would recommend you take him for a check up and get started on the proper treatment for him.

I will be taking him Wednesday. Just seeing what I can do before I get him there.

Spit bubbles could be the beginning and if you get the antibiotics you need, you can get him quickly through this. In this case, I would opt for the baytrill, because you can give it orally if you absolutely have to. Ask for a meat flavoring for force feeding, to cover the bitterness. You can try the shots but if there is a day you just can't do it, you can give orally, where as the Fortaz you cannot. Just a thought to help you be prepared to get him through without a hitch. :D

Spit bubbles could be the beginning and if you get the antibiotics you need, you can get him quickly through this. In this case, I would opt for the baytrill, because you can give it orally if you absolutely have to. Ask for a meat flavoring for force feeding, to cover the bitterness. You can try the shots but if there is a day you just can't do it, you can give orally, where as the Fortaz you cannot. Just a thought to help you be prepared to get him through without a hitch. :D

Thank you for the advice FaunaBgirl :).

He will still need to go to the vet. Baytrill and Fortaz are both by prescription. Dr. Greek and Dr. Stine are both excellent chameleon vets.

Dr. Tom Greek
23687 Via Del Rio
Yorba Linda, CA 92887
714-463-1190 or 866-940-7028

Dr. Geoff Stein
(Dr. Shipp's Animal Hospital)
351 N. Foothill Rd.
Beverly Hills, CA 90210
310-550-0101

I have received a chameleon three days ago and it showed up with a RI and possible gular edema. At times I have noticed that his throat appears very swollen, and at other times, not swollen at all. He is only 2 months of age, and is a male veiled chameleon. I know this is quite young to have gular edema but I want to make sure.

At first I was very worried that this was gular edema and I do not know much about it, I have done my homework but this seems to be something I did not find much reading on. After researching gular edema, I also wanted to research the anatomy of their throat in more detail, as this is where the swelling occurs.

Through this research I have found that with gular edema the fluid retention that causes the swelling is usually closer to the chest. On 'Waldo' his swelling is closer to the head, and also where the hyoid bone is.

I also found that when feeling threatened the chameleon will push his hyoid bone down in an attempt to look more massive and threatening. Is this what I am seeing? It looks like a bit much for him just pushing his hyoid bone down, but I also do not know much about it, hence why I am asking for help. If this is his hyoid bone, does it look irregular in any means, as I have never seen any picture of a chameleon doing it to the extreme that Waldo is doing it.

Attached is a picture of the 'swelling'.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Waldo is in a screen cage purchased from FLChams. the dimensions are 16x16x30
* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I am using a Reptisun 5.0 linear UVB light.
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? The hottest area he can reach I allow to get no hotter than 85. The lowest overnight temperature gets down to the mid-high 70's. I measure these temperatures via a digital thermometer/hygrometer from Acurite.
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? My humidity levels are maintained at mid 50's and spike up to high 60's. I create this humidity by using a live hibiscus that fills the cage, a dripper that is on nearly the entire day, and mistings once to twice a day for 5 minutes each time.
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes, I am using a hibiscus plant.
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? The cage is located near a window that recieves no direct sunlight, and has low traffic. The cage is approximately standing at the highest point at around 5 and a half feet tall.
* Location - Where are you geographically located? I am located in Southern California.

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Waldo is a male veiled chameleon that is 2 months old and has been in my care for three days.
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I only handle my chameleon to take him out to get sunlight and inspect him to see if his RI is getting better or worse. He has only been handled three times.
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I am feeding him crickets, dubia, and pheonix worms. However, he has only been eating crickets so far and they are gutloaded on fresh oranges, zucchini, sweet potato, celery, and carrots. He is fed via a feeder bowl along with a few free roaming crickets. It appears he has only been eating 5 crickets a day. Although he has access to more.
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I have Rep Cal calcium w/o d3 and is phosphorous free. It is dusted with the Rep Cal at every other feeding. I have yet to give him, but have Reptivite vitamins w/ d3. I will be giving him this next week as I do not know when the last time he was given d3 or vitamins was.
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I water him via a dripper that is running nearly all day, and a mister that I mist him with twice a day for five minutes each time. When I mist I mist the leaves around him to get them all to drip and then I mist near him. I have seen him take some of the water in via licking his lips when a drop from a leaf landed on him while I misted.
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? His fecal appears solid brown with a pure white urate. Waldo has not been tested for parasites yet.
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. I do not know of his history, he has only been in my care for three days.
* Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about. See the beginning of post for details.

Take him back to the breeder!!! Its bang out of order to recive a chameleon with a URI.You are entitled to your money back!
Sorry to say this but its more or less game over for this animal,i'd be really surprized if he makes it to this time next week,he will drown in the mucus caused by the infection:(
I hope you get this sorted,This situation is unacceptable

Take him back to the breeder!!! Its bang out of order to recive a chameleon with a URI.You are entitled to your money back!
Sorry to say this but its more or less game over for this animal,i'd be really surprized if he makes it to this time next week,he will drown in the mucus caused by the infection:(
I hope you get this sorted,This situation is unacceptable

If I send him back to the breeder, he will die. If he stays with me he has a chance. I just don't feel right sending him to his death.

If I send him back to the breeder, he will die. If he stays with me he has a chance. I just don't feel right sending him to his death.
Well sometimes it's necessary if there is nothing else that can be done. They shouldn't have sold you a sick chameleon in the first place.

Well,Good luck with it all hope he makes it,but you should at the very least inform the breeder,and explain the problem in case he dies:)

Im pretty sure FLChams will replace him if he does die. Just do what you can to get him to a vet and if all else fails keep in touch with the breeder.

Excellent and only choice in my book! Thank you for saying this. If any of us put ourselves in your place (and believe me, we've been there) we'd do whatever possible to make sure the chameleon thrives.

My experience with breeders is they do not intend to send an animal that is in need but sometimes it just happens.

In our case, as soon as our cham arrived, Phil and I knew something was wrong with him, but we'd already fallen in love with him the moment we first saw him! (love at first sight! lol) And yes, vets are expensive...but guys, really, how can you just send an animal back?!!

Excellent and only choice in my book! Thank you for saying this. If any of us put ourselves in your place (and believe me, we've been there) we'd do whatever possible to make sure the chameleon thrives.

My experience with breeders is they do not intend to send an animal that is in need but sometimes it just happens.

In our case, as soon as our cham arrived, Phil and I knew something was wrong with him, but we'd already fallen in love with him the moment we first saw him! (love at first sight! lol) And yes, vets are expensive...but guys, really, how can you just send an animal back?!!

That's what I'm saying haha. Well anyways vet visit is scheduled, and the breeder is sending me one of Waldo's brothers and I get to keep Waldo to make up for the sick chameleon.

Back
Top Bottom