Guidance on water

For to be honest - i have no idea..
Maybe inside the blow is too constant and inside the air is never as fresh as outside.
In the outside keeping wind is never a problem. This year here was very vet and stormy summer, but i had no problems what so ever.. It is only when kept inside, even draft from an open door can get them sick.
Now that i have avoided all these situations, i have had 0 problems.

I think the most important part is not letting the air in the room get stagnant. Sucks to hear the rest of the females died. They arent easy chams IMO. Glad to hear yours are still doing well. I say let them drink as much as they like just make sure the enclosure dries out and no stagnant air.

I still have both of my females from the last import. They aree doing great! both are fat and cant get enough to eat. They are kept together in a 20x16x16 screen cage with 2 ficus, pothos and lots of sticks for climbing. I spray them 3 times a day just enough to get everything wet. They are lit by Arcadia HO T5's and get fed daily, and always eat it all. I feed, bb flies, house flies, bean beetles, and 3 week old crickets, and they get the occasional butter worm and stick insect. With this new shipment I just brought in I now have 2.4 transvaalense, 3.2 pumilum, and 0.1 thamnobates:) Im sure youll be seeing alot of threads in the near future with everyone that got theirs posting pics and sharing info.

My greenhouse would not workout at all without the giant fan on the swamp cooler to keep fresh air circulating. If the air got stagnant in the greenhouse for a lengthy period I think all my chameleons would have problems living in that kind of arrangement. A possibility if your Bradypodions are adverse to much air flow would be to angle the fan in a way to prevent air from becoming stagnant and not wind blast your Bradypodions at the same time.

I use fans sometimes with my mountain species and they are all fine. Also there hasn't been any problems with any other Bradypodion species.
It is just transvaalense that can not stand the fans/draft inside.
This is just what i have learned from my mistakes with transvaalense, i just wanted to share my mistakes with this species.
Everyone can keep them as they like.

My greenhouse would not workout at all without the giant fan on the swamp cooler to keep fresh air circulating. If the air got stagnant in the greenhouse for a lengthy period I think all my chameleons would have problems living in that kind of arrangement. A possibility if your Bradypodions are adverse to much air flow would be to angle the fan in a way to prevent air from becoming stagnant and not wind blast your Bradypodions at the same time.

If you hold your hand in my cages you do not feel any draft at all. I have even put a piece of paper there and it does not move. i don't understand how you feel the air coming out but not going in but you really do. There fans are designed to be inside computers so all you feel is airflow out. Maybe a computer person can explain it, or I will make hubby explain it. He is who ordered the special fans for me.

Hey laurie, when i heard the requirements and reasoning for less water consumption by the species i started reading a bit on there native environments. I messaged a few that received some in the shipment some of the info i had been reading and it was far from what the breeder was recommending. Really to take ones advice you have to know all of the circumstances of there keeping parameters as it really does take sometimes another factor or two for it to work.

I dont know if your keeping in glass laurie or not but if your worried about stagnant air in any instance. If your using a fan to solve the issue. You really dont want the wind blowing on them. Instead you can draw the air from them. Set your fans to draw air from the cage instead of push air and it will still create a flow you need. \Give the kids water as you are. Drainage is your best friend and if need be a fan pulling air will help keep things moving ;)

Really, I dont why i just typed this...Your experience trumps most of us here..

Things most people dont take into consideration. Areas dont have to have a ton of water fall for there to be morning dew and a good fluctuating humidity. It is hard for us to memic this. Morning dews usually last for hours. Just my two cents ;)

Last edited:
My B. thamnos did not seem to mind the wind at all, and would still frequent their favored areas and basking spots no matter the wind speed. Mind you, there isnt really what you would call wind here.:rolleyes:

At any rate, for what thats worth, I never noted any behavior aspects/changes that I attributed to wind.

I feel it may have to do with just keeping them from getting over saturated any one way or the other.

Living closer to the ground in bushy-ish areas, they have the option to enjoy dense foliage, with a higher RH (from the dew and such) and a lower temp, and while they seem to like the heat to some extent, they may just be accustomed to having the two extremes, and being able to micro-manage the shit out of how "saturated" an environment they expose themselves to, making them seem tricky to pin-point?

Just my input, mind you I didnt have mine long, they werent the same species, and I lost one.:eek:

Ive never used any fans, but if I did, I would have it pull the air from the cage, and not blow into it....

I have been playing the watering game and making changes. The first few days after i got them, they drank a lottttttttttttt. I was misting twice a day (once in the morning and another few hours b4 lights out)

After 2 days they started drinking less, seems 2 mistings were not needed.I noticed they were not drinking on the 2nd misting so i stopped and now only mist once a day (in the morning after the lights have been on for an hour or so.). I keep a close eye on urate and all seems nice and white.

They will usually drink on the first misting, then i feed. After that they will all bask for an hour or so, then begin to wonder the enclosure. They back to bask, then wonder.

Back
Top Bottom