Guess the Locale

yoza717

Here is one of my Panthers in his normal coloring. I was told from the breeder that it was a Ambilobe, but as he is a year old (11 month in this picture), He is looking more like an Ambanja to me (maybe there was a mix-up in the eggs or as neonates since the breeder had both).
Since my only reference on what an Ambanja looks like are from pictures on the web, I can only guess.
showimage.php
[/url][/IMG]

Thanks in advance for any input.

Disclaimer: I never seem to do well at this game... But I enjoy giving it a shot.

Do you have any shots of him fired up? Full body Shots maybe. The shade of blue looks a bit off but my first impression would be a Nosy Be, the yellow around the lips is what makes me lean that way. I don't know about Ambanja or Ambilobe, I just don't see it, but then again read the disclaimer.:rolleyes:

~Joe

Looks like ambanja to m too. I had a similar thing happen with my panther. i was told he was an ambilobe but the breeder mixed the eggs and it turned out he was a tamatave.

Handsome guy whatever locale he is though

Well it looks like the majority of you confirm my suspicions that he might be Ambanja. There are so many different color variation in the Ambilobe locale it confuses novice hobbiest, like myself, that aren't expose to a large variety of Chams (except for pictures).
It was probably a mix up in the some clutches he had. Wouldn't be the first time this happened especially if you buy from someone with multi-locales laying/hatching at the same time.
It all works out in the end, I impuslively bought a female Ambanja 2 months ago from FL Chams at the Orlando repticon. So when she grows up, she will aready have a Stud waiting on her. Plus I already have a Ambilobe male (from FL Chams) chopping at the bit to get busy with an Ambi female I got from Chameleon Company.

Looks like a hybrid to me. Definitely would not say he's pure.

Chris

The guy that I got him from doesn't cross locales, but who knows what goes on after the lights go off. In fact this guy is an escape artist....maybe his father was one too. One can only guess.:D
One thing for sure....He doesn't look like the sire (lots of red). I would love to see what any of the siblings look like.

Last edited:
Well I haven't seen too many nosy's with eyes like that.. he's a bit too green when he's not fired up.. I'm not good with locales but I love to just take a good guess, I'd say Ambanja.

Syn - With all due respect, have you ever seen an Ambanja? I know you mean well but guessing blindly doesn't help anyone.

Yoza717 - It definitely isn't an Ambanja or an Ambilobe in my opinion. It appears to be a hybrid. There are attributes that look Nosy Be-like but I still do not think it looks pure. Can you post more photos of him? Unfortunately all it takes is for a female to be mislabeled and even a breeder who doesn't hybridize can get a clutch or animals that aren't pure. I assume this is a CBB animal, not CH?

Chris

Syn - With all due respect, have you ever seen an Ambanja? I know you mean well but guessing blindly doesn't help anyone.

Yoza717 - It definitely isn't an Ambanja or an Ambilobe in my opinion. It appears to be a hybrid. There are attributes that look Nosy Be-like but I still do not think it looks pure. Can you post more photos of him? Unfortunately all it takes is for a female to be mislabeled and even a breeder who doesn't hybridize can get a clutch or animals that aren't pure. I assume this is a CBB animal, not CH?

Chris

Thanks Chris...I will look at getting more pictures of him soon. I am having company come in and will busy with keeping them entertained.

In the mean time, I just want to add that he is the most active Panther I have (I have 1.4 Ambilobes and 0.1 Ambanjas plus this guy, 7 panthers total).
He is constantly making his rounds in his cage, using every 2x2x4 space of his cage. I am not sure if locales have different activity levels, but this guy loves to burn some calories.

Back
Top Bottom