Guess it's carpet chameleon season: introducing Elton!

Syreptyon

Chameleon Enthusiast
{TL;DR - I was offered a cb male carpet chameleon from a local keeper, picked him up today, and hope to breed him with my unrelated female once she is of age.}

Now the long version...
Hey all! If you've been following my previous thread about my 2 month-old female carpet chameleon (F. lateralis) Alice, you may know about this already, but here's the short version of the new story: I got an e-mail on Sunday night from a fellow cham keeper here in the Twin Cities, responding to a post I'd made on faunaclassifieds while I was originally searching for cb lateralis. He told me he had a 1 year-old cb male carpet chameleon produced by Frank Payne, but unrelated to my girl, and that since he's been focusing on Parson's chameleons I could have him free of charge to a good home.

Now, if you're not that familiar with lateralis, I'd like to emphasize how totally unlikely this whole situation is. To find a cb carpet chameleon, at all, is nearly impossible. There's like 1.5 total breeders in the US. Let alone in the same location as you. Let alone for freeee. So even though I wasn't planning on expanding my family this soon after a new addition, this is really a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and it felt like fate. After work today, I drove an hour out to get the little guy and I'm already in love with him. Surprisingly chill and WOW are male lateralis's colors underrated! When I saw him flare for the first time, it was the most vibrant, pastel greens, blues and white. Totally gorgeous specimen.

His official on-his-birth-certificate name is Shag, presumably after the carpet, but I've nicknamed him Elton (I don't think he'll mind). The gentleman who let me adopt him also offered me a fully planted and set up small dragonstrand enclosure for a really good price. I mean come on. There was no turning this opportunity down. Plus now, once Alice comes of age, I will be able to dip my toes into breeding! And since there are already so few cb carpets available, I would so love to be able to contribute to the pool. I'll keep you all updated on that once the time comes.

One finally note: I also got to see Parson's chameleons (orange eye, cristifer, and yellow giant) for the first time ever in real life. What a cool experience! The chameleon community never ceases to amaze. This has been the best day ever. Anyway, once I start typing I can't stop, so I'm cutting myself off from the keyboard. Here are pics :D

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_5c7.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_5c7.jpeg
    449.4 KB · Views: 311
  • fullsizeoutput_5be.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_5be.jpeg
    468.1 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_0406.JPG
    IMG_0406.JPG
    314.5 KB · Views: 316
I'm honestly just so excited about him! He's a total trooper. Took the hour-long drive home like a champ, with his whole viv buckled into the passenger seat. He ate without hesitation this morning, even with me gawking at him. It is a bit of a shame that they are a shorter-lived species, with a life expectancy of 2-3 years, but their beauty more than makes up for it to me.

Plus they take up soooo very much less space than our more traditional species haha. It's also really adorable to see the same traits and attitudes of bigger species contained within these tiny little firecrackers

I love the color of carpets and the fact that they have smaller cage needs would make it easier to keep a couple would be nice. The short life is what makes it so hard because I would get attached. Just so sad to see them go.

{TL;DR - I was offered a cb male carpet chameleon from a local keeper, picked him up today, and hope to breed him with my unrelated female once she is of age.}

Now the long version...
Hey all! If you've been following my previous thread about my 2 month-old female carpet chameleon (F. lateralis) Alice, you may know about this already, but here's the short version of the new story: I got an e-mail on Sunday night from a fellow cham keeper here in the Twin Cities, responding to a post I'd made on faunaclassifieds while I was originally searching for cb lateralis. He told me he had a 1 year-old cb male carpet chameleon produced by Frank Payne, but unrelated to my girl, and that since he's been focusing on Parson's chameleons I could have him free of charge to a good home.

Now, if you're not that familiar with lateralis, I'd like to emphasize how totally unlikely this whole situation is. To find a cb carpet chameleon, at all, is nearly impossible. There's like 1.5 total breeders in the US. Let alone in the same location as you. Let alone for freeee. So even though I wasn't planning on expanding my family this soon after a new addition, this is really a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and it felt like fate. After work today, I drove an hour out to get the little guy and I'm already in love with him. Surprisingly chill and WOW are male lateralis's colors underrated! When I saw him flare for the first time, it was the most vibrant, pastel greens, blues and white. Totally gorgeous specimen.

His official on-his-birth-certificate name is Shag, presumably after the carpet, but I've nicknamed him Elton (I don't think he'll mind). The gentleman who let me adopt him also offered me a fully planted and set up small dragonstrand enclosure for a really good price. I mean come on. There was no turning this opportunity down. Plus now, once Alice comes of age, I will be able to dip my toes into breeding! And since there are already so few cb carpets available, I would so love to be able to contribute to the pool. I'll keep you all updated on that once the time comes.

One finally note: I also got to see Parson's chameleons (orange eye, cristifer, and yellow giant) for the first time ever in real life. What a cool experience! The chameleon community never ceases to amaze. This has been the best day ever. Anyway, once I start typing I can't stop, so I'm cutting myself off from the keyboard. Here are pics :D

He's sooo pretty

When you have babies I'd definitely be interested!

Gorgeous! I would love to get a carpet chameleon but with how attached I have gotten to my little guy I couldn't bear knowing that it would be short lived :(

Now the long version...

very beautiful!!

Now the long version...

He's Beautiful! I agree 100%. I also once had a pair of Carpets, and the male really gets shortchanged in the looks department. They are as beautiful as the females, just in a different way. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom