Grumpy Behavior?

luevelvet

Avid Member
Hey Everyone,

I'm not sure if this is cause for alarm or not, but normally our Meller's let's us know right away how he's feeling. He's normally a regular green color, bright but not pale. Little pattern when he's happy etc...

Well, we decided to paint the room this weekend (we used earth friendly, no HC's type stuff), from white to a ginger gold color. After allowing the room to vent any noticeable scent away, I mounted a shelf and placed his cage atop it, wired everything nicely with twist ties etc...placed his two favorite plants in the cage and back he went.

Things were fine until late this morning. He ate like a champ, didn't seemed to be bothered by me working in the room (it's my low traffic office), but suddenly he went from happy to raging mad and wanted out! I tried everything I could think of.

I removed the new thermometer thinking maybe he thought it was a snake or something.

I placed all of the same plants to either side his cage to hide him seeing the geckos.

I even placed a piece of white board behind his cage to make like we didn't paint the room at all. That seems to have calmed him down some, but this is just all to weird. He's showing definite signs of aggression also, towards what seems to us as nothing at all! Now he's sitting on his perch, a bit darkened, and looking down nervously. I can not think of what else the problem could be!

Thoughts anyone?

TIA

Luis

Hey, I have 2 Mellers also, and all seems well with mine most all the time. I would like to ask from your post what was he looking down at? Mine once freeked out when a Cricket I had lost in his cage crawled on him while he was dozing off. and wow did he freek out! and stayed agitated for quite a while after that.
Another time it acted like that was when I walked by its cage with my male Jacksons in my hand by accident. And wow freeked out totally again! He is fine now just had a couple episodes.
Is there any other animals, lizards, kids in sight if its veiw? Also a reflection from a picture across the room could be a cause. Look for anything strange like that especially if his new location has moved from the prior setting.

Hey Titan,

I have looked for everything I can think off. I even flipped a picture of a dog we had placed in the corner of the room on the floor, just in case. There are plants on either side of the cage, which block out any view of the leopard geckos and the snakes are behind the same visual block. The only differences are the wall color, and he used to be at about eye level but now he is a few feet higher.

Oh and I added river stones to the pots to prevent him from eating any not so appetizing dirt. From what I can tell, it seems like hes looking down at those?! He's comfortably asleep at the moment but when the lights go on I will observe his behavior and see if it continues. If it does I will remove the river rocks and see what that does...

I must admit, he is the most finicky chameleon I've ever cared for. Almost prissy about it! But it is nice to have an animal tell you what they're feeling at all times of the day. :)

Thanks again,

Luis

Melleri definitely respond to changes in environment. And yes, they are finicky chameleons and they are very full of themselves. :)

What colors did he show when he got so mad? What sings of aggression did he show?
How long did you allow the room to air out?
Did you move the cage to a different part of the room? Can he see more or less of the room than he could before?

I hope he's doing better today,

Suzanne

Hey Suzzanne,

He is dark green with black stripe and yellow dots. Not as vibrant as when hes very mad, but still very distinct. He is cruising around the cage a bunch which i know is a sure tell sign of unhappiness. The anger fits he has seems to be at nothing, or maybe something but not easily identifiable. I moved a plant to the side of his cage to help block out the view of the wall, he didn't seem to like that too much. He would stand up on his perch and sway back and forth with his throat all puffed out trying to bite ...well...nothing it seems.

we let the room air out over night, but as I mentioned before, it was a "green" brand with little in the way of fumes etc. The snakes and geckos all showed no signs of discomfort hours after painting. I also left a window open overnight with a fan blowing in fresh air etc... It didn't get below 70 over night.

His cage is about 2 feet to the left and 2 feet higher than it was prior to the move. So not much in the way of a different spot per se. Maybe it's too high?! I guess having read too many guides and such I though he would like that. He seems to wake up fine, suns himself, and he ate a cricket and a silkworm this morning without hesitation, but then he paced around the screen for a few minutes, and just went back to his perch.

Temps are within acceptab;e range for what I've read about Mellers. Ambient is mid to high 70's with a basking spot of about 80-82.

He's on the cage currently walking about. I think I'll take him outside for some fresh air and let him get some sun. He seems to love it outside. I feel bad that he's not digging his new digs. I hope I can identify whatever it is thats not making him happy!

Thanks for the replies!

Luis

Well have you removed the rocks from the plant? Good possibility he thinks they are something else. and they were not there before. Its evident he is seeing something different than before & he does not like it. Not sure if the rocks you say are polished and reflective. Try moving him back down in height if you cant figure anything else out. My Mellers enclosure is 6 feet tall and hung about 2.5 feet from the floor. and he stays about 3/4 of the way up the cage. I'm gonna send a pic of my setup as my Larger Mellers seems to really like this setup. So does the little one to.

Here is My side by side
Mellers setups Just in case
you were interested. They
seem to really love this home!
attachment.php

Attachments

• Side by side Mellers Cages0001.jpg
    Side by side Mellers Cages0001.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
That is pretty much what i had envisioned for him in a year or so but I'm starting to question whether or not sooner would be better. It's obvious there is something in the 18x18x36 cage that isn't making him happy, but when I place him on the plants across the room and let him free range aroun dthe room, he perfectly content!

Is it safe to assume that they prefer more horizontal of a caging arrangement than vertical? He really seems like he wants to roam back and forth rather than up and down.

He's currently sleeping in a hibiscus bush on a shelf higher than his cage right now, looking happier than ever. :-/

Thanks for the pictures!

Luis

I'm guessing he is just feeling cramped in the smaller cage then. Or somthing in it. In a sence I free range alot of my larger chams, (Like in a large Ficus tree, 6' + or so, with other plants, vines, lighting, drippers, feedcups etc.).

Usually set all this up in a corner or so. Majority of the time the Cham is so comfortable in that setup they often never come out of it. But if they do I just have something to the ground so it can easily climb back in its tree. They may wander more at first but that usually subsides. Since you said its in a low traffic office this may work. If you have other pets like cats dogs etc., you can always install a regular screened door as you would for going outside. (to keep the unwanteds out of that room, allowing you to keep the main door open.) For view and ventilation? Just a thought :) I know when mine grow bigger, Im sure They will end up in this situation.

Is it safe to assume that they prefer more horizontal of a caging arrangement than vertical? He really seems like he wants to roam back and forth rather than up and down.

Honestly, they want both. But sometimes you can get away with less vertical space if you put the cage up higher. Either way, he may need a bigger cage pretty soon.

Also, if he's still so restless, maybe leave the cage door open and see if he goes to (or away from) anything particular in the room. It's something I would try.

One thing to be aware of with restless melleri is that they will sometimes start relentlessly rubbing their rostrum against the screen and they can really damage themselves that way. Just something to be on the lookout for.

If you have the cage horizontal it means that it is only 18" tall and 36" wide. None of my chams would like those dimensions. Put the cage on it's 18x18 side and let the 36" be the tall. I would plan on getting him a bigger cage nonetheless. Mellers like to roam.

oh no, his cage is totally vertical. I wouldn't imagine it any other way with those dimensions. I was thinking of 3'H X 4'W.

At any rate, I think I figured it out. It seems the river stones in the planters was really bugging him. when I put him on another plant, without the stones, totally fine. So once they were removed, he was happy in his home again. I am still planning to build the 3x4 cage soon, but at least i dont have to worry about him being stressed.

Well, I guess i'll end it with a photo of him free ranging it up...

Thanks everyone...

Attachments

• DSC_1989.jpg
    DSC_1989.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 233
  • DSC_1992.jpg
    DSC_1992.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 210
Back
Top Bottom