Grrr Petco makes me mad! Tail loss question

i agree with the not buying from them i havent been for a long time now... idk why i even go in the stores in the first place but every time i do and see somthing similer to this story i allways try to consult the higher staff. its just sad i never actualy get a manager anymore. i think they know me. now

Yeah I wouldn't have even gone in, except I needed a new UV light and didn't want to wait a week for shipping. The rediculous thing about it is the manager was the one who was rolling his eyes at the missing tail issue. I just didn't expect that, even from Petco!

I've seen lots of pictures of chameleons with major tail damage (like, only an inch of tail left) and they appeared healthy and functional.

Petco stores do engage with local groups to hold adoptions and those groups do often charge fees. This would be another reason the staff wasn't familiar with the chameleons: they were brought in by the animal rescue group and were not part of the Petco merchandise.

If you were a cat person and saw a disabled cat up for adoption while shopping at Petco would the fact that the rescue group took advantage of Petco's popularity to put the cat in front of people stop you from helping it?

all i have to say is wow if you ever have the pleasure of talking with texas ranger another memebr on this forum she is giving kinda leassons at a local pet store its really cool i think.

I dont agree with taking it at all. When you get the animal, you are not rescuing it. You are not really adopting it if any of the money goes to the store. In reality, all you are doing is freeing up space for them to put another animal in this "damaged" animal's place.

Perhaps if this store was not full of "complete idiots" then I would be less opposed to it. However, in this case, you will just put another animal in danger.

I've seen lots of pictures of chameleons with major tail damage (like, only an inch of tail left) and they appeared healthy and functional.

Petco stores do engage with local groups to hold adoptions and those groups do often charge fees. This would be another reason the staff wasn't familiar with the chameleons: they were brought in by the animal rescue group and were not part of the Petco merchandise.

If you were a cat person and saw a disabled cat up for adoption while shopping at Petco would the fact that the rescue group took advantage of Petco's popularity to put the cat in front of people stop you from helping it?

I do normally see animals that the humane society brings in to put in the public eye so to speak, but the all have papers from the humane society. Also we only have 2 reptile rescues in the area, and both of them have confirmed this is not one of theirs. It seems more like the animal was injured so they are trying to adopt it instead of selling a "damage product" at retail cost. They wouldn't give me any info on it so i have no idea what the circumstances are surrounding this guy.

I have no problem adopting an animal from petco, but I do have a problem buying an animal at a full or discounted price and having the money go to petco. I don't want to fund their cruelty so to speak. If it truly is an adoption though, I have no qualms about it.

Yeah I wouldn't have even gone in, except I needed a new UV light and didn't want to wait a week for shipping. The rediculous thing about it is the manager was the one who was rolling his eyes at the missing tail issue. I just didn't expect that, even from Petco!

write petco itself and tell them the name of the manager that did that and what store and the employees that did it to and work there, thats the first step then put the story out in a local paper like we have you get for free but thousands read it, it will get your story out and more people will be on it to fix this problem. petco will want to squash the problem fast and get is solved to keep face. I only go to petco and mart when they have their cricket food and calcium water and plastic plants for sale or tanks. seems to be cheaper then the local reptile stores here.

I dont agree with taking it at all. When you get the animal, you are not rescuing it. You are not really adopting it if any of the money goes to the store. In reality, all you are doing is freeing up space for them to put another animal in this "damaged" animal's place.

Perhaps if this store was not full of "complete idiots" then I would be less opposed to it. However, in this case, you will just put another animal in danger.

I do agree with with this to some extent. If the money goes to petco I am definitely against it, but if it goes to a rescue/shelter, then I am less opposed. I agree I will be essentially clearing space for them, but I have heard horrible rumors of petco not being able to sell or adopt out injured animals, and just throwing them in the freezer to clear shelf space. If they are going to get the shelf space either way, then I'd he have a home. :( I think I may be too much of a bleeding heart

I do agree with with this to some extent. If the money goes to petco I am definitely against it, but if it goes to a rescue/shelter, then I am less opposed. I agree I will be essentially clearing space for them, but I have heard horrible rumors of petco not being able to sell or adopt out injured animals, and just throwing them in the freezer to clear shelf space. If they are going to get the shelf space either way, then I'd he have a home. :( I think I may be too much of a bleeding heart

i def feel the sme way its sad, sounds like u have a big heart and your mind is in the right place...:(

i just wish there was a easy answere to this one :(

Thanks for all of advice guys! I just called petco this morning and spoke with a different manager. As it turns out, the cham is not available for adoption. They have decided they will be putting him on clearance, for 50% off. None of that will go anywhere, except into Petco's wallet, so unfortunately I will not be getting him. Hopefully he finds a good home, and hopefully Petco won't be making very much money on him.

How much are they asking for him? The local Petsmart here has them periodicly for $100 each for a chameleon about 4-5" long. Outrageous pricing for such a common animal.

How much are they asking for him? The local Petsmart here has them periodicly for $100 each for a chameleon about 4-5" long. Outrageous pricing for such a common animal.

Their normal price is $90, but his little guy is half of that, so $45. He is about 3.5 inches long, but the largest one they have is closer to 5 inches. $45 is still almost double what they charge at the expos I have been to in the area.

Thanks for all of advice guys! I just called petco this morning and spoke with a different manager. As it turns out, the cham is not available for adoption. They have decided they will be putting him on clearance, for 50% off. None of that will go anywhere, except into Petco's wallet, so unfortunately I will not be getting him. Hopefully he finds a good home, and hopefully Petco won't be making very much money on him.

the coperat gasbags strike again !!!:mad:

So I went to Petco today to look for a new UVB light, which they didn't have, but I saw that they had veiled chameleons for sale as well. On their cage there was a sign that they were for adoption, but after asking associates and a manager about it, nobody had any idea on why the sign was posted. Well I kept checking them out, and all of a sudden another one come out from the back of the cage, and it missing at least 1/2 it's tail.There wasn't even enough to curl up at all. I immediately alerted the manager, who said, "weird that wasn't there earlier" and walked away. The tail was healed completely on the outside and it was obvious this wasn't a fresh wound. Well, I didn't know what to do other than tell the manager and basically get laughed at. I am going to call tomorrow morning to let another manager know, and see if that is possibly the one they are adopting out, but I am really worried about this little guy :(

My question is, if I were to adopt this guy, what are his chances with no usable tail? Is that something they can compensate for, or is it going to give him a very diminished state of life? He otherwise looked healthy, with full eyes, not skinny, very alert and active. The cage temps and humidity were fine, and he was a very pretty greenish teal color, and about 3.5 inches long. I know there could be a lot going on underneath (infection, parasites, etc.) but assuming his only issue is the tail, what are his chances?

Any info/advice would be MUCH appreciated :D

Dont do it !! im sure you can find a healthy veiled from a breeder. Try posting a ad on the wanted board, you can mention the area you live in if you want to avoid shipping charges.

Dont do it !! im sure you can find a healthy veiled from a breeder. Try posting a ad on the wanted board, you can mention the area you live in if you want to avoid shipping charges.

There's an expo here in a few days that I was hoping to get a panther at, so I will just end up doing that instead. I was just thinking maybe I could be a good Samaritan without lining petco's pockets.

Back
Top Bottom