Growth rate

PoseidonTheChameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
So Poseidon has recently tested negative for parasites, well more like a month ago almost. I was wondering when I should start seeing signs of growth now that nothing is stopping him from growing. I'm going to try to get a picture of him, it's a little difficult now with more hiding places for him but this pic was on the 7th of March, right around the time he tested negative.

Attachments

• 2021030795115952.jpg
    2021030795115952.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 64
From the size he looks on your hand, I would think he could eat bigger crickets and be fed every second day.

He could be eating roaches, silkworms, locusts, BSFL and once in a while superworms, waxworms and hornworms.

From the size he looks on your hand, I would think he could eat bigger crickets and be fed every second day.

He could be eating roaches, silkworms, locusts, BSFL and once in a while superworms, waxworms and hornworms.
Yeah I have bsfl, he doesn't always eat them though. And I actually had bigger crickets but he didnt want them, they were ½ size. I got him ¼ again and he eats 20 of them. I'm not sure why though

Are you saying he's not growing—or hasn't grown—at all? :unsure:
Well, how do I put this lol? He was the normal size of a 2 month old when he arrived, I made the mistake of not getting a fecal done when I first got him, i obviously blame myself of course. Then he grew some through a couple months, all was good. Then he hit 5 months and I started to worry because he didnt grow anymore. Most people say they grow like weeds so I got scared and finally took him in. Went through 2 rounds of meds and he tested negative about a month ago. He is now 7 months old and I think he grew a tad but he obviously isnt the size of a 7 month old so I was wondering if he is permanently affected by having the parasites at a young age?

Well, how do I put this lol? He was the normal size of a 2 month old when he arrived, I made the mistake of not getting a fecal done when I first got him, i obviously blame myself of course. Then he grew some through a couple months, all was good. Then he hit 5 months and I started to worry because he didnt grow anymore. Most people say they grow like weeds so I got scared and finally took him in. Went through 2 rounds of meds and he tested negative about a month ago. He is now 7 months old and I think he grew a tad but he obviously isnt the size of a 7 month old so I was wondering if he is permanently affected by having the parasites at a young age?
That's possible, but there are other possibilities/factors.

When I got my bearded dragon, most of what I read said that males grow to a length of 20"-24". I got a fecal shortly after getting him, which was negative, and while there was a period of "weed growth", he stopped growing at around 18". I can't say there wasn't just a little disappointment, but that's long-gone.

Upon further investigation, it turns out (I'm told by experienced keepers on the BD forum) that average sizes have decreased over the years with generation upon generation of captive breeding.

There's also (albeit remote) possibility of dwarfism.

I'm not suggesting that either of these things is going on with Poseidon; I'm just saying there are other possibilities, including the one you're asking/concerned about. Maybe even a combination, like genetically he might have turned out a little smaller than average—combined with some stunting from the parasitic infestation.

Bottom line, what can you do about it? I don't think it's your fault or anything—sounds like you did all the right things. Poseidon is what he is, and if he's otherwise healthy & (as far as anyone can tell) happy... enjoy him. :)

That's possible, but there are other possibilities/factors.

When I got my bearded dragon, most of what I read said that males grow to a length of 20"-24". I got a fecal shortly after getting him, which was negative, and while there was a period of "weed growth", he stopped growing at around 18". I can't say there wasn't just a little disappointment, but that's long-gone.

Upon further investigation, it turns out (I'm told by experienced keepers on the BD forum) that average sizes have decreased over the years with generation upon generation of captive breeding.

There's also (albeit remote) possibility of dwarfism.

I'm not suggesting that either of these things is going on with Poseidon; I'm just saying there are other possibilities, including the one you're asking/concerned about. Maybe even a combination, like genetically he might have turned out a little smaller than average—combined with some stunting from the parasitic infestation.

Bottom line, what can you do about it? I don't think it's your fault or anything—sounds like you did all the right things. Poseidon is what he is, and if he's otherwise healthy & (as far as anyone can tell) happy... enjoy him. :)
Ok that makes me feel better I guess, thank you. I guess being my first chameleon, I was really excited to see him all big with pretty patterns.

Back
Top Bottom