Growth around eye and bump

alot

Hi, so my friend recently moved in with me and he brought his Veiled Chameleon with him that has some problems. I have some experience with reptiles so I instantly changed some things and he's already doing a little better minus the eye problem, but i was interested to find out more.

This is not my pic, but it looks pretty much EXACTLY like it.
P9240431.jpg

it was another person on this forums chameleon and his vet said it was cancer, so I was wondering if anyone else knew of a similar problem and if it was indeed cancer.

He just got a brand new reptisun 10.0 uvb bulb, the long tube one, last night. ive been spraying him down and making his cage a little extra humid because he was also dehydrated really bad. He was starting to show signs of MBD but luckily i think i caught it in time and had my friend change his bulb about a month ago from the coiled bulb he was using.

On the bright side, he's munching down superworms dusted in calcium. ive been putting 5-7 in there as to try to not over-feed him but give him enough.

if anyone has any tips or advice please let me know. i want to do whatever is best for him.

thanks

edit-

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, Male, about 2 years old, in my care personally 1 day.
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Maybe once every couple of months was he handled
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Right now, SuperWorms dusted in Calcium without d3, 5-8 at a time, ~9am and ~7pm. No gut loading at the moment.
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Calcium without d3 every meal now, reptivite 3 times a week.
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Right now, spray bottle, twice a day for ~15 seconds. No, no drinking seen.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? have not seen any yet. no tests yet.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. He was in my friends care the past two years, was not kept in good humidity or proper lighting. thats all i know.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen, right now looks like a 2x2x2, he has a 4x2x2 that will be here in a week, but for now i think the smaller one is better for him.
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Reptisun 10.0 uvb tube and a 60w or 70w heat light. 12 hours.
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 74-105. lowest night - 75. thermometer with cord.
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? No idea, wet substrate and water bowl, nothing yet.
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? No.
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? On top of leopard gecko cages near the kitchen, no fans, air vents or high traffic. about 3 feet off the floor.
Location - Where are you geographically located? Denver, Colorado.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. this was put above.

The bump looks like an abcess. The sinuses are likely involved. You'll need a vet to clean it out, do a culture and sensitivity test and then put him on the appropriate antibiotics.

oops, my bad.

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, Male, about 2 years old, in my care personally 1 day.
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Maybe once every couple of months was he handled
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Right now, SuperWorms dusted in Calcium without d3, 5-8 at a time, ~9am and ~7pm. No gut loading at the moment.
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Calcium without d3 every meal now, reptivite 3 times a week.
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Right now, spray bottle, twice a day for ~15 seconds. No, no drinking seen.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? have not seen any yet. no tests yet.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. He was in my friends care the past two years, was not kept in good humidity or proper lighting. thats all i know.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen, right now looks like a 2x2x2, he has a 4x2x2 that will be here in a week, but for now i think the smaller one is better for him.
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Reptisun 10.0 uvb tube and a 60w or 70w heat light. 12 hours.
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 74-105. lowest night - 75. thermometer with cord.
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? No idea, wet substrate and water bowl, nothing yet.
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? On top of leopard gecko cages near the kitchen, no fans, air vents or high traffic. about 3 feet off the floor.

Kin - thanks. any idea how much something like that generally runs?

oops, my bad.

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

Kin - thanks. any idea how much something like that generally runs?

A few things I recommend you change.

He only needs Reptivite once or twice a month. Calcium without d3 every other day and calcium with d3 twice a month if he doesn't get any outside time.

You need to lower the basking temps to no warmer than 90.

He needs a large variety of well gut loaded feeders. You can gut load with dark green leafy veggies and fruits.

You need to mist longer each time and set up a dripper for him to drink....no water bowl. If it's a deep bowl he could drown and chameleons normally drink from running......dripping water.

I also recommend keeping the bottom of the cage bare. It's easier to clean and veileds often eat all sorts of stuff and he could become impacted from eating substrate.

I'm attaching my blog for new keepers below.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

More great info here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/chameleons/

Back
Top Bottom