Grow Lights

lokiopolis

Established Member
Hello all,

I was wondering if I could get some input regarding growing lights for live plants. I was wondering if I could get a bulb that would fit into an unused zoomed dual dome I currently have laying around. I did a little googling but was overwhelmed with the options, so I'd appreciate a little input as to what works well for the plants, and what is safe for the cham.

This is my current enclosure setup (two are connected so it is double the horizontal length).

As for live plants, I had a decent sized pothos in there up until this morning when I took it out to give it break and some real sunshine (it looked like it needed some tlc), and I also have a schefflera arboricola waiting to be added as well.

Thanks in advance :)

I’m using the sansi, and they work great. Customer service is great with them as well. They actually send me a free bulb because my first order took way too long to get to me.

Personally I don’t like the pink or purple lights, so have never tried them.

Last edited:
Hello, I've heard jungle dawn spots are awesome but they are so $$$. I actually use Sansi instead, my plants are doing great!
https://www.amazon.com/SANSI-Houseplants-Commercial-Hydroponic-Horticulture/dp/B07KXBY2YH

And

https://www.amazon.com/your-orders/...ryId=&returnUnitIndices=&shipmentId=DWgzP9Nd7

The 30 watt is crazy bright but effective. I like the light from the 15 watt best.
I got the 30W for my new larger enclosure o_O I was trying to decide which to get because I wanted the cheaper option of the 15W but I didnt want to under light my plants since my enclosure is so large. I havent set them up yet, I will be this weekend. I guess we will see what happens :ROFLMAO:

I got the 30W for my new larger enclosure o_O I was trying to decide which to get because I wanted the cheaper option of the 15W but I didnt want to under light my plants since my enclosure is so large. I havent set them up yet, I will be this weekend. I guess we will see what happens :ROFLMAO:
I think you're good with the 30. I use mine, it's just so bright but the plants love it! I use the 15s on smaller terrariums, they work great and aren't as insanely bright but probably wouldn't be enough for your new enclosure. I think you made the right call.

I haven't had to replace any of mine yet.
@snitz427 have you had to replace any of your Sansi lights?

I have not, yet. I'm hoping since they are LED we'll get a long life out of them. I even dropped one from 7 feet... it chipped a piece of plastic but the light is still going strong.

I have 15, 30, and 40w. They are all crazy bright! I plan to use the 15w for my bug and plant prop racks. The 30w bulbs are on my free range area and the 40w bulbs are on the 4-6ft tall enclosures.

I think you're good with the 30. I use mine, it's just so bright but the plants love it! I use the 15s on smaller terrariums, they work great and aren't as insanely bright but probably wouldn't be enough for your new enclosure. I think you made the right call.
Awesome! I was going to get the 15W bulbs for a little plant grow area in my new apartment which will probably double as a free range lol

Thanks for all the discussion. I think for now Ill probably start with the 15W version, and if it looks like I need more for the plants I'll switch over to the 30W (its mostly the price 20 vs. 40 which is driving the interest) .

There also seems to be a 24W with a price in-between the two, that might be a good compromise, has anyone tried this one? Amazon Link: SANSI 24W LED Plant Light

One last question, I know with the UVB's there is always the discussion that the screen mesh blocks some of it, knowing this, would that make the case better for just going ahead and getting the 24W or 30W light for the plants instead, or do you think the 15W would still work decently if placed above the mesh enclosure?

Id go as high wattage as your wallet allows or you’ll wish you bumped up. Theyre all great though. Check the bottom if the item listing as rhere are usually coupons and sometimes sales.

The 20,30,40 are last years model. 24 and 36 are updated for this year.

Do you pair this light with others for your cage set up or is this your dominant lighting feature? I’m considering getting one to help my umbrella plant grow better, but figured I would still need a linear for UVA/UVB for my panther cham? Or would the linear bulb just be for heat maintainability seeing as the Sansi is a grow light and probably already produces UVA/UVB. I haven’t done much research on this bulb yet, but definitely will be right now!

Do you pair this light with others for your cage set up or is this your dominant lighting feature? I’m considering getting one to help my umbrella plant grow better, but figured I would still need a linear for UVA/UVB for my panther cham? Or would the linear bulb just be for heat maintainability seeing as the Sansi is a grow light and probably already produces UVA/UVB. I haven’t done much research on this bulb yet, but definitely will be right now!

So you most definitely still need linear UVB.
I have the Sansi grow light, a T5HO Arcadia 6% UVB, a T5HO 6500k daylight bulb, and a CHE for basking.

I was intending on using the grow light in addition to what I already have. You'd still need a linear uvb and heat bulb (the uvb stuff doesn't generate much heat) for your cham

I have the Sansi grow light, a T5HO Arcadia 6% UVB, a T5HO 6500k daylight bulb, and a CHE for basking.
Ok good, so I’m on the right track. Is ZooMed linear bulb ok? I’ve been looking at about a 150w-200w. Is this going to be enough for my set up? It’s a 2”x2”x4”

I was intending on using the grow light in addition to what I already have. You'd still need a linear uvb and heat bulb (the uvb stuff doesn't generate much heat) for your cham
What would you recommend for a heat bulb? I don’t have much to be able to spend, so a good reliable brand that’s cost effective would be ideal? :D thank you so much!

Just curious how big is your enclosure? I feel like I need more plant light but I have a female and in adding the second T5HO for a 65k along the CHE I've noticed slightly higher temps.

What would you recommend for a heat bulb? I don’t have much to be able to spend, so a good reliable brand that’s cost effective would be ideal? :D thank you so much!

Lots of different options for heat, relatively cheap too. You could get a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) they run anywhere from $8-$25.

Other option is a general incandescent bulb (no need to go for the specially marketed reptile basking bulbs), depending on the type or wattage you may have to add a dimmer switch so you have more control over how hot it'll get. You can get some for a couple of bucks at a hardware store.

Back
Top Bottom