Grocery List. Help.!

mychamtini112012

I'm going shopping today and need to buy the best types of fresh fruits and veggies should I use to gut load my crickets. What would you guys suggest I put on my shopping list for tonight.?

I would definitely check out Sandrachameleons blog, she has one of the best gutloading articles out there for a list of ingredients.

I usually buy good quality food for my family and share a little with the crickets. I find that this works best for me. If you are keeping large amounts of crickets then you might have to buy them their own groceries. I will buy frozen squash to keep for the feeders, it is easy and convenient. Other than that I usually have more than enough left overs to share with the bugs.

If you want to get a bunch of veggies and fruit and blend it to make gutload ice cubes, I would recommend:

collard greens
dandelion greens
mustard greens
kale
endive
escarole
squash (any kind)
sweet potato/yams
sweet peppers
carrots
apple
berries
papaya

Note: if you freeze your blended gutload, you want to defrost it on a paper towel before putting it in with your feeders...the freezing process pulls a lot of water out of the veggies/fruit and the stupid feeders will drown if you let the "cubes" defrost in with them.

This means your gutload is no longer as "wet" as it would have been had you fed fresh, so you need to compensate for that. One way is to do the "freeze dry" thing on greens and add fresh fruit. I say that because, at least in my house, fruit is constantly cycling through the human consumption...but we can go decades without eating collard greens or kale.

You can actually get a lot of freeze dried fruits and veggies. They would only be second to organic, freshly picked from the garden fruits and veggies.

Back
Top Bottom