Greenhouse to house feeders?

Longhorn1234

Established Member
Does anybody here have a shed with insulation/insulated wooden box/greenhouse/something similar to keep feeder colonies? I'm assuming that if you have more than one colony of roaches then buying more than one heating pad might end up being expensive

I have a little 6x8 room in the basement next to where the reptile room is going. I'm placing a small oil filled electric radiator in there and will keep all my feeder colonies in there.

Technically it's not that expensive with heat pads if you know what you are doing. And heating one room like that is a way to ask for issues with feeders who require different temps though not extremely different. I thought of doing once, and realized what a bad idea it was, considering some of the differences feeders have. As far as what I do with keeping large amounts of feeders. Is I will end up keeping feeders with similar heat needs on flex watt heat tape and use two-three thermostats depending on the heat differences needed and how many are needed. The thermostats make sure no unneeded heat is used, and the flex watts can go long distances and actually use less wattage because of this.

That's very interesting. Have you had any problems with the heat tape? I've read of heat tape melting plastic bins and starting fires

No, as long as you have airflow under the heat tape and plastic bin it should be fine, so you can eaither attach it to the bin underneath on a wire shelf etc, or lift the bin somehow? I mean it can totally melt bins if people aren't careful, but if you follow the rules, then it should all go well. Technically anything electric can start fires, but in my opinion, basking lights are more likely to start fires since it has multiple ways to do so. As long as you use eletrical tape to protect all ends of the heat tape (even the side that doesn't have wires connected) you should be fine. If you don't protect the sides you can also receive a decent shock from the heat tape. And it definitely is a healthy wake up shock XD

Haha I don't think I want to get a shock. My first thought was making a wooden box/shelf with some insulation. The main reason was because I only have a 2x4 space in the living room (but plenty of height) to use and I didn't want to have clear plastic bins with roaches laying around for our guests to see haha. But if it's not a good idea then I won't even attempt to do it. I'll just look into the heat tape instead. Would you mind sharing some pictures of your setups?

Haha I don't think I want to get a shock. My first thought was making a wooden box/shelf with some insulation. The main reason was because I only have a 2x4 space in the living room (but plenty of height) to use and I didn't want to have clear plastic bins with roaches laying around for our guests to see haha. But if it's not a good idea then I won't even attempt to do it. I'll just look into the heat tape instead. Would you mind sharing some pictures of your setups?

I can do so tomorrow ^^ just about to sleep

I put a thermostat space heater in a closet and keep all of my roaches in there. Nothing else really needs heat that I use.

Heating a small room would cost a lot more than 7-14 watts per cage. If you have a ton of feeder bins in a small room, all the heat pads might raise the room temps by a degree or two so it would help that way.

If using heat tape and something doesn't need as much heat, you can also lift that cage farther off the tape outside the cage so it's only over part of the tape. I leave enough room on the shelf to slide the cage back a few inches off the tape.

Energy efficient space heaters don't raise the bill by much at all if you have a closet. It's also safer than heat tape. I know with space underneath, you'll be fine 99.9% of the time, but still there's always a risk with those heaters. I absolutely can't risk a fire in any way, and also the space heater is much easier. I recommend it if you have spot.

That room is only for the bugs that need warm temps. The room was already there and I already had the radiant heater, so my investment was nothing.it should work well for the dubias, orange heads, and whatever else need warmer temps.

The electricity is what will kill you. A 10 gallon zoo med heat pad is 7 watts. At 10 cents per kilowatt. That's $6.13 per year per tank. If a 1000 watt heater runs half the time (at 80 degrees it will likely run more if the rest of the house is 70 degrees) that would cost $438 per year.... or the equivalent of running 71- 10 gallons. Plus many of your bugs will produce better at 85 or 90 degrees.

If you can't afford a lot right now, you could get the below linked heat mat for $12 and put two tanks on it.

https://www.amazon.com/iPower-Seedl...=UTF8&qid=1502639950&sr=1-5&keywords=heat+mat

Exactly, my heater pops on a couple times a day. My electric bill raised a couple dollars, if that, with my closet method.

But they do run 24-7 if it's winter or colder months. My heat pads are on 24-7 unless the thermostat kicks in.

And the dubia and orange heads work at those temps, but as far as other feeders or roaches you may need less heat but still a heat increase, or you may need more heat. With stick insects they need heat, but I would never recommend putting them at that heat constantly, it would fry them.

Huh, maybe I'll test it out by putting the radiator at counter level and see if it stays cooler towards the floor. Then I could have the cooler demanding bugs lower. If that doesn't work I'll just get some heat mats like the one Nick linked me to. All the bugs have to be in the one room as per compromise with my wife.

Back
Top Bottom