Green veiled chameleon looking pale/yellowish green

Cute little one!

I see she has a slight bulge below her eye…is that always there?

You said she’s on Ciprofloxacin…why? For the RI you think she has?
Did a vet prescribe it and tell you it was an RI? Has she been to a vet?

When she points her nose in the air, does she also gape or sit with her mouth open? Is she under the basking light when it happens? What’s the basking temperature?

You said…”I’m not entirely sure, but I can definitely look into it! If anything, I can order it online”…do you mean the leaves? Or a tree?

Cute little one!

I see she has a slight bulge below her eye…is that always there?

You said she’s on Ciprofloxacin…why? For the RI you think she has?
Did a vet prescribe it and tell you it was an RI? Has she been to a vet?

When she points her nose in the air, does she also gape or sit with her mouth open? Is she under the basking light when it happens? What’s the basking temperature?

You said…”I’m not entirely sure, but I can definitely look into it! If anything, I can order it online”…do you mean the leaves? Or a tree?
Thank you! 🥰 So when we first got her, she had two bulges in her eyes & it was secreting something yellow, but the discharge has stopped completely. They still just look a bit swollen & I have no idea why either..

Vet prescribed the ciprofloxacin as she said it would help with all her symptoms: her lethargy, eyes closing from time to time, and her tail curling up..

She doesn’t want to use her basking light at all, it looks like she just basks using the uvb

I have two sides of the enclosure completely covered that way she doesn’t see us & has her privacy, but the third panel is kinda pushed up against a wall

My humidity was pretty bad this morning and didn’t drop to about 49-52 until about an hour ago.. should I remove both plants from the bottom, add more coverage towards the top, and face her enclosure towards my bed?

Also, should I only mist once at night until it reaches about 60 and that’s it or should I mist for a second time around once I see it drop to about 48ish? What’s a good temp also for night? Last night it was hitting 78-79, but I ordered ice packs to place on top

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 26
You said…”She doesn’t want to use her basking light at all, it looks like she just basks using the uvb” …I’d still like to know the basking temperature at the point she would be sitting if she did sit under it.…also what bulb do you use for a basking light. I don’t see any basking light on the cage. What’s the cage temperature during the day?

You said the vet said her lethargy, eyes closing from time to time would be solved by the meds. Only if it made her feel better because it was curing what’s wrong with her IMHO. BTW…I’m not a vet …just give my best opinions on things.

I wouldn’t mist at night. People fog at night…but not unless the temperature is down into the 60’s.

You said…”She doesn’t want to use her basking light at all, it looks like she just basks using the uvb” …I’d still like to know the basking temperature at the point she would be sitting if she did sit under it.…also what bulb do you use for a basking light. I don’t see any basking light on the cage. What’s the cage temperature during the day?

You said the vet said her lethargy, eyes closing from time to time would be solved by the meds. Only if it made her feel better because it was curing what’s wrong with her IMHO. BTW…I’m not a vet …just give my best opinions on things.

I wouldn’t mist at night. People fog at night…but not unless the temperature is down into the 60’s.
I have the basking temp 78-80, but I shut it off occasionally in the afternoon because then the rest of the enclosure starts to heat up

Ambient temps get to 78-79 at most also, but I’m still waiting on ice packs to control it a lot better

At the moment, she just lays right under the UVB, keeps her mouth opened, tilts her head up a bit, keeps her mouth opened and closes it if I get in front of the enclosure so I can’t get a pic :/, tail is completely curled, I caught her sneezing a few times also today, and one of her eyes is also closing

This is the basking light that I’m using & it’s a 60 watt, I picked it up from Walmart bc every pet store around me was out of a 60 watt

Also I’m a bit confused so if my temp is sitting at 77-77 at night + about 50% humidity, I shouldn’t mist/fog at night at all?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 30
I have the basking temp 78-80, but I shut it off occasionally in the afternoon because then the rest of the enclosure starts to heat up

Ambient temps get to 78-79 at most also, but I’m still waiting on ice packs to control it a lot better

At the moment, she just lays right under the UVB, keeps her mouth opened, tilts her head up a bit, keeps her mouth opened and closes it if I get in front of the enclosure so I can’t get a pic :/, tail is completely curled, I caught her sneezing a few times also today, and one of her eyes is also closing

This is the basking light that I’m using & it’s a 60 watt, I picked it up from Walmart bc every pet store around me was out of a 60 watt

Also I’m a bit confused so if my temp is sitting at 77-77 at night + about 50% humidity, I shouldn’t mist/fog at night at all?
Oops sorry just realized I typed 77-77, I mean between 77-79

You said…”I have the basking temp 78-80, but I shut it off occasionally in the afternoon because then the rest of the enclosure starts to heat up”…that should be fine.

You said…”Ambient temps get to 78-79 at most also, but I’m still waiting on ice packs to control it a lot better”…IMHO the cage should have areas where it’s cooler than that so she can move to cool off.

You said…”At the moment, she just lays right under the UVB, keeps her mouth opened, tilts her head up a bit, keeps her mouth opened and closes it if I get in front of the enclosure so I can’t get a pic :/, tail is completely curled, I caught her sneezing a few times also today, and one of her eyes is also closing“…curled tail just means that she’s relaxed as a rule. Closing her eyes in the daytime is not good though. We need to figure out why she’s doing that….and why one is closing.

You said…“Also I’m a bit confused so if my temp is sitting at 77-77 at night + about 50% humidity, I shouldn’t mist/fog at night at all?”…I don’t live in Florida…but @MissSkittles has said she mists for a few seconds in post 16 so I’d go with what she says.

You said…”I have the basking temp 78-80, but I shut it off occasionally in the afternoon because then the rest of the enclosure starts to heat up”…that should be fine.

You said…”Ambient temps get to 78-79 at most also, but I’m still waiting on ice packs to control it a lot better”…IMHO the cage should have areas where it’s cooler than that so she can move to cool off.

You said…”At the moment, she just lays right under the UVB, keeps her mouth opened, tilts her head up a bit, keeps her mouth opened and closes it if I get in front of the enclosure so I can’t get a pic :/, tail is completely curled, I caught her sneezing a few times also today, and one of her eyes is also closing“…curled tail just means that she’s relaxed as a rule. Closing her eyes in the daytime is not good though. We need to figure out why she’s doing that….and why one is closing.

You said…“Also I’m a bit confused so if my temp is sitting at 77-77 at night + about 50% humidity, I shouldn’t mist/fog at night at all?”…I don’t live in Florida…but @MissSkittles has said she mists for a few seconds in post 16 so I’d go with what she says.
I think I know what’s wrong 😔 I didn’t know that repashy already has calcium & vitamin A and I was also dosing her with calcium without D3 and dosed her a multivitamin with Vitamin A.. I noticed that she has something white building up around her nostrils and I honestly thought it was from her antibiotics, I didn’t know it was mineral buildup from over supplementing :(

Is there anything I can do to flush it out of system? Do you suggest I seize all supplements for about a week?

You said…”I think I know what’s wrong 😔 I didn’t know that repashy already has calcium & vitamin A and I was also dosing her with calcium without D3 and dosed her a multivitamin with Vitamin A“…what form of vitamin A is in the two supplements? PrEformed or prOformed? So now is she getting any D3 other than what she produces from her exposure to the uvb light?

You said…”I noticed that she has something white building up around her nostrils and I honestly thought it was from her antibiotics, I didn’t know it was mineral buildup from over supplementing :( “…this is normal.

You said…”Is there anything I can do to flush it out of system?”…you can wipe it gently off her nose if it’s blocking the Nostril…otherwise she should take care of it herself.

You said…”Do you suggest I seize all supplements for about a week?”…you should be dusting the insects at all feedings but two a month with a phos free calcium powder lightly. On the remaining two feedings you should be using a vitamin powder with D3 and a prEformed (retinol) source of vitamin A lightly.

Last edited:
Hello. I use a basking lifht with a dimmer switch on it. That way if it is hot i can just dim it down. Looks like the lifgt on yours is orange. Make sure its not a basking bulb for desert reptiles. also the basking light and uvb should not be right next to each other like that. It is pissible that your girl wasnt getting enough uvb which is why she is sitting under it so much. try putting the basking on the orher side with another perch for her. I think she should get soMe good old fashioned sunshine especially if she is dealing with an infection. Also i would hold off on figuring out fogging until she is healthy. i am so glad you are here on the forum. I love all the plants in your set up too. Sge is suvh a sweet looking littke girl and i know you are working hard to figure this out for her. Keep it up.

I would not use this basking bulb. It is a focused heat bulb and will produce intense temps. You want a regular incandescent 60 watt household bulb.
I think I know what’s wrong 😔 I didn’t know that repashy already has calcium & vitamin A and I was also dosing her with calcium without D3 and dosed her a multivitamin with Vitamin A.. I noticed that she has something white building up around her nostrils and I honestly thought it was from her antibiotics, I didn’t know it was mineral buildup from over supplementing :(

Is there anything I can do to flush it out of system? Do you suggest I seize all supplements for about a week?
What exactly is your supplementation routine. What all do you have. Can you take pics of the labels for me?

@Beman @MzLaurie11 @kinyonga
Hi everyone! I spoke to Neptunethechameleon and she said that the basking light should be ok but not to have it on the entire day as my house temps are 77 F

Misting: I’m just going to mist only in the evening when lights are out also!

My supplements are also okay! I gutload with repashy, use calcium without D3 every feeding, & a multivitamin with D3 twice a month

I’m going to work on just getting a portable AC at night to get it done to at least 72-73 at night :)

Also removed one of the panels on my enclosure, but if it’s still not enough air flow, I will just remove all the sides completely

Will keep you posted! 🫶🏼❤️ thank you all for your help!

@Beman @MzLaurie11 @kinyonga
Hi everyone! I spoke to Neptunethechameleon and she said that the basking light should be ok but not to have it on the entire day as my house temps are 77 F

Misting: I’m just going to mist only in the evening when lights are out also!

My supplements are also okay! I gutload with repashy, use calcium without D3 every feeding, & a multivitamin with D3 twice a month

I’m going to work on just getting a portable AC at night to get it done to at least 72-73 at night :)

Also removed one of the panels on my enclosure, but if it’s still not enough air flow, I will just remove all the sides completely

Will keep you posted! 🫶🏼❤️ thank you all for your help!
Ok then I will tag her here since she is now helping you with all of your husbandry. @Gingero

Thanks for the tag @Beman!

Just to clarify, I had mentioned that the color of the heat bulb is fine but that I can't speak to if it is a good bulb or not since I haven't used it before. Sounds like Beman has experience with it, so I'd listen to what they have to say. Until you can get your temps in a safe range, I'd suggest not using the heat bulb like we discussed :) Looking forward to seeing the changes you make.

Do you have lights on at night? There should be a significant temp drop to simulate a normal day night cycle. I wouldn’t mist at night unless the temp has dropped significantly. This most likely the cause of the RI. It looks like the infection has progressed a lot. I would definitely take her to a qualified exotic vet.

Do you have lights on at night? There should be a significant temp drop to simulate a normal day night cycle. I wouldn’t mist at night unless the temp has dropped significantly. This most likely the cause of the RI. It looks like the infection has progressed a lot. I would definitely take her to a qualified exotic vet.
I see your house temp is pretty high. Could you run an air conditioner or a fan to get the ambient temp lower at night?

Back
Top Bottom