green potatoes for feeders?

niels99

dear people.

i have been using potatoes as a watersource for my feeders for quit a while and im fine so far.
But when i visited a befriended farmer of mine, i saw that he threw all the partly green potatoes away.
so my question is: can green potatoes be used for feederfood?

ill first tell you how potatoes can become green.
when exposed to (sun)light potatoes get green because the pigment chlorofyll is formed.
chloryfyll is completely safe and is a part of loads of greens.
but a increased appearance of chlorofyll indicates the presence of solanine, which is a poisonous glyco-alkoloid.

note! if a potatoe is not green that does not matter is doesnt contain solanine, all potatoes in shops are tested for solanine. almost every potatoe contains a little bit of it.

do you guys have any clue? i personnally think it might not be such a big deal and if i can reduce the waste of still usable food than i want to. but if there are risk for my chams of course i wont use them.

leave a comment below please

But they are eating it. I would maybe use potato in my big bin, but when I move them into the gutload bin, I wouldn't offer potatoes at all. I dont use them for anything. I feed all my feeders a "gutload diet" 24/7

Leafy greens provide water as well. Try Squash or sweet potato if you are worried about them drying out. They last a long time in the bins and in the fridge...

Using potatoes as a water source is a bad idea; whether you intend them to drink it or not, they will eat it..get full off of it, and won't eat as much of the other stuff you need them to eat for your cham to be healthy.

Back
Top Bottom