Green giant parsonii?

Garrett

Chameleon Enthusiast
I have this young male that has just started changing color. I've never seen a parsonii like this before and I'm
starting to think he might be a green giant or something similar. He was labeled as "'Andekaleka", which I thought would turn out to be a yellow giant with a dark head and yellow body.
Luckily I have a pair of these so I'm curious to see if he does in fact turn green as he gets older. His eye turrets are normally close to his body background color, or a very pale yellow. As a baby I actually picked this animal out as a female because he was green!
Has anyone else seen any parsonii like this from the recent imports?

2.jpg
1.jpg 3.jpg

I thought maybe he was an orange eye at first, but he has almost no color in his eye turrets. Here's a different pic of him. His lips and underside are still that baby light grey color so it will be interesting to see if that fills in or stays that way.
The female changed to the standard bright green months ago so maybe this is as colorful as he'll get ? He's at least 14 months old so well into the adult color changeover.
male.jpg

Last edited:
He looks as though he is a young Green bodied Orange Eye White Lipped male. Orange Eye's can have bodies change from green to blue. As well as heads that change from white to green to blue.

My 11 year old Orange Eye male was similar to the baby you have Garrett. He mostly has a green or white head now days and a green or bluish green body. Here is a good older picture of him looking green.

zU6jO9.jpg

I think the main traits to look for (when looking for Green Giants compared to green phase Orange Eye White Lips) is for the most part Green Giants do not have Orange Eye and White Lip or White Head development at all. Garrett your male has both Orange Eye and White Lip development. As well the Green Giant adult males have a blue stripe that goes down their back. You would wan to look for blue stripe development when looking for Green Giant's as well. Other than that Green Giant color is mostly just green. This compared to Orange Eye White Lips that can have Blue, Blue/Green, or Green bodies.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

That feels when you think OP is water marking all his pics with a white blob on the chams, then you realize via future pics, the white blobs are really on the cham!

The white spot is not photo shop on my Calumma parsonii parsonii male. I normally only use photo shop just for water marks. The white spots on the Calumma parsonii parsonii are supposed (I think) to be dappled light on a green background or tree canopy camouflage.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Motherlode Chameleon "I think "Andekaleka" is an Orange Eye locale."

Andekaleka
View attachment 197828

I recall googling searching this area before for this "Andekaleka" area. As it is centered around a large dam and it was an unfamiliar Parsonii local to me. The people (LLL Reptile or Bion this past summer) that had the adult Parsonii pair labeled from this area were selling an adult pair of Orange Eye's. To the best of my knowledge the labeled adult Parsonii pair is what lives from this area.

I look forward to confirm what Parsonii phase lives in "Andekaleka" and what phases does not (Orange Eye or Yellow Giant Parsonii) in the region. I have been keeping a list of locals for Yellow Giant Parsonii forest. The Andekaleka area would become a new Yellow Giant Parsonii forest and another Yellow Giant Parsonii forest is good new!

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
The final verdict is in...
This is not a green giant parsonii. Or an orange eye.
I believe this animal was correctly labeled as "Andekaleka" which if you look on the map is about half way between the Orange Eye and Yellow Lip Parsonii range in Madagascar. This animal shares traits from both locales. He has yellow eyes and white lips which is an Orange Eye trait, but green cross bars and a very blue green base color and also on his face which is a Yellow Lip trait. Which would make perfect sense based on the location of Andekaleka, an intermediate form between the two locations. I've never seen another parsonii like him, very neat! He's still not fully grown and continues to change color, I'm curious to see if any other colors will fill in over time.
b7mr8QH.jpg

The final verdict is in...
This is not a green giant parsonii. Or an orange eye.
I believe this animal was correctly labeled as "Andekaleka" which if you look on the map is about half way between the Orange Eye and Yellow Lip Parsonii range in Madagascar. This animal shares traits from both locales. He has yellow eyes and white lips which is an Orange Eye trait, but green cross bars and a very blue green base color and also on his face which is a Yellow Lip trait. Which would make perfect sense based on the location of Andekaleka, an intermediate form between the two locations. I've never seen another parsonii like him, very neat! He's still not fully grown and continues to change color, I'm curious to see if any other colors will fill in over time.
b7mr8QH.jpg
Any update on that parsonii? Is it posible to be a OE + YL cross? Im very interested to see what he has evolved to!

Back
Top Bottom