Green bugs!

golf33

The live plant in my chameleon's enclosure has some new growth near the top of the cage and I have noticed small green insects living on the new leaves and stalks. Has anyone else experienced these bugs? I haven't seen them before these new leaves grew. I'm not sure if I should regard them as harmful or dangerous to my chameleon or if they are not a threat...?

I am guessing hibiscus?
Aphids love to pest on hibiscus.
They are not dangerous to your chameleon. However, they can kill your hibiscus in the long run.
I also hate the fact that aphids and ants tend to go together.
They form an alliance to annoy the heck out of you.
The ants literally protect and put the aphids on the plant. In return, the ants got sweat treat from liquids the aphids produced.

Yes, they do look like little green gnats and aphids is what popped in my head when I first saw them --- that probably is what they are. Mantids sound like a cool idea, and I know that chameleons can eat the mantids, so it would kind of be like a two-fer, but should I be worried about the mantids harming the chameleon while he is sleeping, etc.? How many mantids can I have in there at once?

I am not sure if that is going to be effective at all.
Especially, considering that chameleons love mantids.
Chances are, in 2-3 days significant amount of mantids will be gone eaten by your chameleon.

On top of that, I doubt the mantids will eat all that aphids in a day.
Imho, it would be faster for you to just cut the infested branches and the leaves. Or substitute the hibiscus with other plant. So, you can take it out and treat it.
I know green lacewings are another predator for aphids...

By the way, sorry I forgot to reply regarding the plant. It is a schefflera (umbrella tree). I'll probably just clean the plant off when I get a chance. Thanks for all the help!
Alec

Back
Top Bottom