great cage builder!!

mary prefontaine

I always wanted a nice cage that looked more like a nice piece of furniture in my home. The only company I could find was way,way out of my price range and just not possible to even think of. I don't have the skills to build and even tried hiring a friends friend who supposedly had great carpentry skills and ended up paying 200 dollars for a cage that allowed cricket to escape, sharp screen points that continuously scratched me and he didn't even paint it and had no good drainage so i could never use a mister.
Then came steve from the cage company. I told him what I wanted and he determined through his own experience with chameleons, exactly what I needed for either one very nice cage or also added a center solid re-movable divider to allow for a breeding pair. All made from solid wood, stained to whatever color I chose which happened to be golden oak. He built this like he had built a million of them and it just came out fantastic and at less than half the price of the other company I was looking at.
His workmanship was very nice, it came with a hood, a solid wood divider for future breeding purposes, brass handles and other hardware, ease of use, a nice cabinet below for my mist king set up. and all my chams stuff. He even lacquered the interior to allow me to use the mist king. And its on wheels for maneuverability. It was massive and shipping was reasonable considering it took a really huge ups truck to get it here. Very fine quality and it shows in his work. I allowed him what time he needed to make sure i got exactly what I wanted. But generally can build almost any cage in about 2 weeks. He impressed me with his photos of a pet shop cage system he did for someone. and it all looked terrific! I still have lots to do to make this a nice jungly feel so I will post another picture when Im finished, so far got my mist king up and running, trying a few plants that are not doing too well. and awaiting some more lights and hygrometer/thermometer. Any ideas for better plants that will work in this cage?
If you're looking for quality, detailed workmanship call steve or go look at his work at Cagecompany.com. Tell him mary bragged about him lol. ( and no I get no free stuff or breaks for doing this, I just am so happy with his work. It is my pleasure to promote him as he is well worth it. I will try to get a picture up using photo bucket right now bbl.
Oh his name is steve.
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm283/mitzi1956/IMG_0379.jpg

Last edited:
Nice workmanship!

Bob Sligh of cages.net is another good resource for anyone in search of custom caging for chameleons, birds or geckos. His prices are very reasonable and he is a master craftsman that has built several enclosures for Lone Star Chameleons. I highly recommend his service.

Very nice! I wish I could find someone to do work for me, the cages I have work and are nice but no where near furniture quality.

thats a nice cage, i have built a few for friends wanting more of a furniture pc, and if i say so myself they all turned out great and have never had any complaints, but im up here in Canada so shipping to the US would be ridiculous

Nice workmanship!

Bob Sligh of cages.net is another good resource for anyone in search of custom caging for chameleons, birds or geckos. His prices are very reasonable and he is a master craftsman that has built several enclosures for Lone Star Chameleons. I highly recommend his service.

I have a 5'x4'x3' custom screen cage built by Bob Sligh I've used for years. It is perfectly built, the price was great, and he crated and shipped it to me in Alaska without any trouble or huge price mark-ups.

Excellent workmanship and a pleasure to deal with!

would love to see Bob Sligh's work too.

I am always wanting to have cages built for some thing or another and i would love to see bobs work as well. Mainly to see if the prices are a big difference. Does he have a web site? Cant seem to find him. My next project will be a dart frog home.
Oh and as far as drainage , someone asked, my plan is to use moss on the floor which should absorb most all the water. Since the moss basically is found in most any rainforest, it should make for a great absorber. He also put a polyurethane coating on the whole interior of the cage to reflect the moisture, So hope fully the moss will absorb most of the moisture along with the plants that I will have in there. I had the mister set all day to go off every 3 hours as a practice run, before I get my chams. and it is set to stay on for 5 minutes each time it goes off, another question I need answered, if anyone out there knows the answer to. will 5 minutes every 3 hours be enough? Or too much? The flooring seems to be made of like a formica type material. As of now while I await to buy the moss, Im just using the those funky absorbing rags they sell on tv and they seem to be doing ok for keeping up the moisture (no puddles ) Of course I will be prepared with a hand mister as well, since I have the luxury of staying home right now to watch my chams for a while, so I can get a feel for their eating and drinking habits.
Hey Hoj!!! wish you were a little closer (he he) can never have enough good furniture cage builders.

Back
Top Bottom