Gray patches on skin dosent look like shedding

My year old chameleon had a few gray patches on his leg, it's not a burn because then it would be all over his back plus I keep the light 12 inches away from his branch. He gets calcium everyday, calcium with d3 2 times a month along with a multivitamin. Eating well, poop looks good. Temps like 85 in basking area. Also have a automatic mister that mists 4 times a day for 5 minutes.

You never know.

Post a pic of his cage and him, that way we can actually tell you whats up.

if the light is THAT far away, he might be climbing up to the ceiling to get hotter, resulting in a burn

It would not necessarily be on his whole back. If he basks for too long it could happen like us being in the sun too long

Here's a picture help :( is he going to be ok I've had bearded dragons and iguanas for 15 years and have never seen this, this is my first chameleon so I'm new to this species .
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 458
I had an older fellow and he did not move much. I put him under his basking lamp and I came back hours later and there is was under the lamp still. I noticed he had a few black patches on his spine(not the whole thing) and two of his knees had black spots. I felt horrible and assumed he got too much light. I put Neosporin on it religiously everyday twice a day and it healed up. I also alternated with Silvadene which is used for burns. When he shed you would have never known. That one patch is white, but I believe thermal burns can be white and not always black or maybe they turn black later.

Those are definitely thermal burns. You need to decrease temps of basking area immediately. Top of cage should be in the low 90s Fahrenheit at the max in my opinion. They can hang on screen at top of cage so normally I put a min max digital thermometer probe right under the light on the top of the cage. Personally I adjust the lights to be about mid 90s. Other people might do slightly different, but at this maximum you will not have to worry about future burns! ;) good luck as he is a handsome fella!

Yep, the black is the dead scales, and the pink is the rawness underneath.

I don't know if there is an ointment you can put on it, but

1. add a little more branches and trees maybe
2. raise the basking spot up, so that he doesn't have to get so close to it to be warm

and make sure the basking spot isn't too hot, you can use a thermal gun or a digital temp measurer :)

You definitely want to get more vines/branches into that cage. You want your cham to be able to get to every spot of the cage by walking on the vines and not having the rely on the cage'a mesh. Top, bottom, right, left, diagonals... It should look like a 3D spider web.

Back
Top Bottom