Gravid?

April19872006

I would like everyone's opinion is she ovulating? Many gravid?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 120
She looks pretty big. And she is at least receptive with all those robin blue dots.

Does she have a laying bin? Also is there a male around and or has she been breed?

In this pic she is puffed up a bit. She does have a bin with sand that I keep moist. No there is no male. I put up this pic on reddit chameleon and some one said she is ovulating. I just want to be a good owner, and keep her healthy. Side note she has slowed down on eating a lot!

Hello! :)

It does look like she might have eggs. Also, females are known to eat less or stop eating completely, when about to lay eggs or give birth.

First of all there is a great educational video about setting up a laying bin made by one of the forum members. You can find it here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/laying-bin-set-up-educational-video-77225/

Females can and will lay eggs even though they have never been with a male, then the eggs are just gonna be infertile and you can simply dig them up and discard them once she is done laying.

It is very important to give her privacy, when she finally starts digging, otherwise she might become stressed and become egg-bound. Some choose to cover the cage with a cloth during the process.

I would also like to add, that it is extremely important to supplement the pregnant female with plenty of calcium. Calcium is required to form eggs, and since reproduction is always a priority, in case of lacking calcium, her body will pull it from her bones, which can lead to metabolic bone disease (known as MBD). Calcium is also essential for proper muscle functioning and other bodily functions, so supplementation is very important. You might want to buy some liquid calcium and either give her a drop directly or put a drop on one of her feeder once in a while. It is also advised to give her some liquid calcium once she is done laying eggs.

Good luck and feel free to ask questions if in any doubt!

Julija

So she has no intrest in her laying area. She has not dug at the bottom of her cage, nothing! But still has the bumps on her belly right by her back legs. She is eating so that's good. I am just confused. I will try and get a good pic and post it soon.

My chameleon Isabella looks the exact same! She won't lay her eggs though, I have her laying bin set up nicely for her but as well she doesn't seem very interested, has no problem eating though and is actually a little more plump than yours.

So now she is not eating... I tried force feeding she spit it out. She will dring every other day or so. I am giving her pedia light. Her eyes are sunken in today. I took her outside and did a good 15 min water spray. She has not been digging or curious. Will they starve themselves?

You need to leave her alone. If you keep messing with her, she will never dig! Just go in the room her enclosure is in only to mist her in the morning, and maybe at night. If it is in a room that you walk past often, I would wrap a sheet around her cage so she has privacy. They like the privacy.

-Chase

Back
Top Bottom