gravid veiled NOT sleeping, is this normal?

Kiwi is just not sleeping tonight, it has been pitch black in my room, and i havn't been here. she is displaying very vibrant gravid colors, but is not being adventurous, just awake. she is 14 days in gestation and this is her 2nd clutch, but first fertile one. i will be placing the laying bin in tomorrow, any suggestions as to why?
IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

I usually drop my temps to around 65-68..maybe try a lil cooler for a few days??maybe that will settle her in at night..

my temps are always between 65-70, i did just fill my humidifier up so maybe that will drop a few degrees. but this has never happened to my knowledge before

ya is a first that i have heard of(i have bred jacksons, and veileds before, so ive seen and had plenty of preggo females around to observe)..maybe she just producing a VERY large clutch???

Hoping all goes smoothly for both of you Phil, please update the thread because this will be very helpful for me in the future.
Do you think, movement in the room, tv flickering or something has her on edge?
Maybe covering the cage might make her feel more secure?
I hope its not a very large clutch.
Looks like a lovely healthy lizard.
cheers :)

Hoping all goes smoothly for both of you Phil, please update the thread because this will be very helpful for me in the future.
Do you think, movement in the room, tv flickering or something has her on edge?
Maybe covering the cage might make her feel more secure?
I hope its not a very large clutch.
Looks like a lovely healthy lizard.
cheers :)
thank you for the support man, of course i will be updating the thread, i am excited lol. but last night was just a bit odd, i did have my girlfriend over last night, and we watched a bit of a movie then shut it off, we layed down for a bit, then when we woke up, kiwi was still up, i then drove my girlfriend home, and when i came home, still up. i only had my laptop on after that point, and was on it while laying in bed. shut it off soon after. today i will be doing all of the egg laying preps. like you said jo, i will secure her by placing a light sheet over the front of the cage, as you cant see inside the other sides. i will also be putting in a large flower pot as a laying bin, as she never really seemed interested in the 5 and 3 gallon paint buckets i had in there last time. thank you jo, she is a lovely little lizzy and im confident all will go well. ill keep you guys posted.

she may be producing a large clutch, which i do not mind entirely having them be fertile, but still prefer it not to be, with the sheet going up, im going to put in a wattage down in light bulb, i still feed her every 1-2 days.

When did she lay the last clutch?
Was she mated since that?
she layed the last clutch on 11/24/2010, and has not ever mated before. she mated for her first time on 02/15/2011. which i believe is a good amount of waiting time since she layed her first infertile.

then Misses Pssh should be following my threads lol. i did a thread and have been since her and my girlfriends veiled mated on the 15th, unless Yoshi busted a blank *excuse my canadian*, what other reason would she suddenly start getting gravid colors and putting on chub? lol

TIFF! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?! lol actually, where have i been? feels like i havent seen your joy around for a while :) thank you for the great comment, and hope all is going well with your your Amy & Tommy, and the cresties :D. forgive me if i forgot any one :(

Are you weighing her? They don't always become gravid right away when they mate. Mating is no guarantee.

Are you weighing her? They don't always become gravid right away when they mate. Mating is no guarantee.

yes kara, i weigh all my reptiles, i just didnt last week, something came up. and i totally forgot. but since Feb 14, 2011 (the day before she mated) till today Feb 26, 2011, she has gained 15 grams....... i do not know what else to prove, shes gained 15 grams in almost 2 weeks, has been on the same feeding and supplimenting scheduale is the same. she only gained 8 grams all last month, a steady gradient.

also, i cannot capture every striking pattern she throws at me, but color and patterning have not changed since a few days after mating.

i just need some suggestions as to why she would have stayed up last night.

Phil, you might want to buy a cheap journal and take a page from Tiff's book, start noting down these kinds of things, dates, observations etc.
Personal data may prove invaluable later on if there is complication or confusion, having a record of your lizards habits may shed some light.
recording dates can be very handy, along with feeding habits etc.
Personally I think everyone would benefit from the practice.
Sometimes nature can be obscure and not make sense until you look back and begin to see a pattern. The more data you record, the more useful it will be.
Might be an idea with your geckos aswell.
Just a thought. :)

Phil, you might want to buy a cheap journal and take a page from Tiff's book, start noting down these kinds of things, dates, observations etc.
Personal data may prove invaluable later on if there is complication or confusion, having a record of your lizards habits may shed some light.
recording dates can be very handy, along with feeding habits etc.
Personally I think everyone would benefit from the practice.
Sometimes nature can be obscure and not make sense until you look back and begin to see a pattern. The more data you record, the more useful it will be.
Might be an idea with your geckos aswell.
Just a thought. :)

i usually do jo, all important things like gutloading logs, weight logs, breeding logs, etc are kept in written form in my computer, i have a folder all for stuff like that. things in the past i always remember for next time, and do write it down. i also come on here as much as i can to share with you guys, learn and get questions answered. i refer regularly back to past threads and posts, and even stuff from my old chamforum account for certain dates and info.

that is a good idea for my cresties though, its just a bit tricky keeping record of nocturnal animals lol, im sure you can relate

The boomtown rats have really done it for Mondays! :)
It was always sundays I didnt like, the anticipation of monday! :D

Back
Top Bottom