Gravid, receptive or just cold?

azrael

Hello all,

My female who is 20 months old has been showing some confusing colorations for about the past 5 days. I can't remember if she did this last year around this time so I wanted to check and see if she is showing gravid (unmated) coloring, receptive or if she is just cold. She's been doing everything as usual as far as I know, maybe hovering closer to her mid cage are a bit more but i'm not sure. She does have a laying bin but I don't think she's been in it. She did have a big meal of hornworms recently so I wonder if that put her into egg production mode since she was eating more than normal. I put on her heat emitter for the first time this season this morning and took a read and her temps weren't too far off than what they usually are in her basking area before I turned it on (low 80s).

And at night, she turns back to her nice pale pink color. What do you all think, is she gravid, receptive or cold?

20151020_080018_zpsfj587wrk.jpg

How long will she be this color before she is about to lay? Can anyone else confirm this is gravid coloring?

Thanks for your reply. As i mentioned in my original post, she does have a lay bin. How long will she have her colors like this before i can expect her to try and lay?

That will depend on the size of the clutch, her age, if they are fertile, her diet, supplement regimen, heat, etc. There is no hard and fast rule, as far as I know.

could be gravid or in between or neutral (non receptive,not gravid) put a lay box for sure . in my opinion gravid are more black and more orange. good luck

She has a lay bin about 18in deep with eco earth in it. She currently is weighing in at 114g if that helps

Back
Top Bottom