Gravid?/ pregnant?

Kahmeleonaire

Hello i caught two wild panther chameleons both from the same area , i am a first time owner my friend who sold 5 of them were told by someone who has a xray machine that 5 out of 7 are pregnant could it be i have a pregnant female as well? I tried to pair the both of them up but she was just getting mad . Im afraid of her becoming egg bound thanks in advanced

Attachments

• E4FA98BC-0914-4680-8882-507BEBA5BABD.jpeg
    E4FA98BC-0914-4680-8882-507BEBA5BABD.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 138
  • 2AC82D02-ED68-4D9B-B78B-4018F77AE121.jpeg
    2AC82D02-ED68-4D9B-B78B-4018F77AE121.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 126
  • 4F8B5EA1-0CF5-4666-ACF1-1A9EEEE8FC6C.jpeg
    4F8B5EA1-0CF5-4666-ACF1-1A9EEEE8FC6C.jpeg
    185.5 KB · Views: 164
Hello i caught two wild panther chameleons both from the same area , i am a first time owner my friend who sold 5 of them were told by someone who has a xray machine that 5 out of 7 are pregnant could it be i have a pregnant female as well? I tried to pair the both of them up but she was just getting mad . Im afraid of her becoming egg bound thanks in advanced
do you have a laying bin? That's a beautiful female

do you have a laying bin? That's a beautiful female

I do its a good size soil pot filled half way but i also have 5-6 inch of dirt surrounding it On the floor but i plan to take Out the dirt on the floor today because I didn’t know if that was a good idea or not that’s what I started out with is just dirt on her floor and thank you she is starting to become more tame Do you think she is gravid ? And do you think she’ll go into the pot all by herself? Thank you !

They both look small and immature with heavy distress colors. You cant just shove two fresh caught wild chams together and expect them to mate. She will reject everything right now so her rejection of him is not a reliable indicator of gravidity, really never is. You don't even know what local they are, almost guaranteed to be hybrids. Assuming your in Florida?

Strongly suggest you fill out the help form for both of them.

I'm with Brody... rejection means nothing. I also have a WC female [not from Florida]. I'd say your friend with the xray machine is your best bet... not sure if that's an actual xray machine or not though...

Regardless, there's no real way to know if she came in gravid, much less fertilized. As mentioned, get a deeper lay bin, add more potted plants, etc. You may even take her and put her in a quiet area in a bin of sand and see what she does with that. Chances are though, if you did pick a gravid female from the wild... the stress of capture and humanity's desire for control will be more than traumatic enough... no reason to try to put a male on her. If your male isn't a WC, he may never take to her as WCs are 99% agressive.

Personally speaking, if I found out a cham I grabbed from outside may be gravid... I'd let her free. That's HER best chance in my opinion... but then again, I wouldn't risk bringing a cham from outside anywhere near my others...

Best of luck

They both look small and immature with heavy distress colors. You cant just shove two fresh caught wild chams together and expect them to mate. She will reject everything right now so her rejection of him is not a reliable indicator of gravidity, really never is. You don't even know what local they are, almost guaranteed to be hybrids. Assuming your in Florida?

Strongly suggest you fill out the help form for both of them.

I don’t know what you mean by what local. They are but yes I am in South Florida and they are both wild caught I’m assuming they have been populating the area for quite some time now because there are hundreds of them if not many more most of every single female my friend has sold has been x-rayed by someone and have been positively declared pregnant I haven’t gotten an x-ray done for the fact that he might charge me a lot but I would just like to know if Perhaps you guys think she might be pregnant And the mail I haven’t really seen him much but I had pretty much force fed him crickets while he tries to bite me but the Female it from my hands Are you assuming that maybe they might not be a fit for each other? When I last seen her this morning she was totally pink Thank you for the response

I don’t know what you mean by what local. They are but yes I am in South Florida and they are both wild caught I’m assuming they have been populating the area for quite some time now because there are hundreds of them if not many more most of every single female my friend has sold has been x-rayed by someone and have been positively declared pregnant I haven’t gotten an x-ray done for the fact that he might charge me a lot but I would just like to know if Perhaps you guys think she might be pregnant And the mail I haven’t really seen him much but I had pretty much force fed him crickets while he tries to bite me but the Female it from my hands Are you assuming that maybe they might not be a fit for each other? When I last seen her this morning she was totally pink Thank you for the response
Also what is the help form??

I'm with Brody... rejection means nothing. I also have a WC female [not from Florida]. I'd say your friend with the xray machine is your best bet... not sure if that's an actual xray machine or not though...

Regardless, there's no real way to know if she came in gravid, much less fertilized. As mentioned, get a deeper lay bin, add more potted plants, etc. You may even take her and put her in a quiet area in a bin of sand and see what she does with that. Chances are though, if you did pick a gravid female from the wild... the stress of capture and humanity's desire for control will be more than traumatic enough... no reason to try to put a male on her. If your male isn't a WC, he may never take to her as WCs are 99% agressive.

Personally speaking, if I found out a cham I grabbed from outside may be gravid... I'd let her free. That's HER best chance in my opinion... but then again, I wouldn't risk bringing a cham from outside anywhere near my others...

Best of luck
All the males that were caught resemble him my friend has caught over 100 already. So they’re both certainly Wild caught And supposedly the guy who xrayed them says that yes there are fertile And are you saying that because I caught her while she might have been gravid possesses a greater chance of her being too stressed to lay eggs She does seem to be eating just fine when I feed her but yes I am very new to all of this and my friend only has limited information on wild Panther chameleons I appreciate your response

Last edited:
Just to show that they where wild caught I appreciate everyone’s response im hoping to provide a great environment for them both would really love to have eggs from her

Attachments

• C6A1E937-EEAA-423A-82EB-FB0EF3536233.png
    C6A1E937-EEAA-423A-82EB-FB0EF3536233.png
    824.7 KB · Views: 105
  • 868FF713-5434-4867-9632-EB8815A9085A.png
    868FF713-5434-4867-9632-EB8815A9085A.png
    1,013.4 KB · Views: 116
Hi there. :) This is the help form. Please take no offense, but I can’t help but think that you have little experience and knowledge about chams from the way you are holding the male. This is the right place to learn. Fill out the form and one of the experienced members can better help you.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

@Kahmeleonaire I'm not going to sugar coat this.

We believe you, we are all aware of the wild chameleon population in south Florida. Your making us cringe with every new post! lol Im really struggeling to find anything yall are doing correctly.

This community will gladly give you a crash course in husbandry but your not going to get any support until you answer the questions in the help form above. If you don't know the answer just answer "I don't know".

She does look gravid, based off the pictures she looks lumpy and as you said they are plentifull in the area. Personally i dont see the point of trying to get her to lay and then incubating the eggs for 6 months to a year and then raising 20-40 tiny fragile chameleons feeding them thousands of fruit flies a day. The odds are not in your favour. If youre interested in keeping chameleons i would release both where you found them. I would then do tons of research on chameleons and wild caughts in particular then you can make your decision as to if you want wild caught or captive bred. If you do indeed choose wildcaught understand the risks and extra steps involved and try to find a juvenile male.

She does look gravid, based off the pictures she looks lumpy and as you said they are plentifull in the area. Personally i dont see the point of trying to get her to lay and then incubating the eggs for 6 months to a year and then raising 20-40 tiny fragile chameleons feeding them thousands of fruit flies a day. The odds are not in your favour. If youre interested in keeping chameleons i would release both where you found them. I would then do tons of research on chameleons and wild caughts in particular then you can make your decision as to if you want wild caught or captive bred. If you do indeed choose wildcaught understand the risks and extra steps involved and try to find a juvenile male.
They are not interested in keeping chameleons. We all know what this is.

You have a lot to learn fast if you're going to keep those chameleons.

Local....Panther chameleons originally came from different areas of Madagascar and each one is like a different species...they have slightly different shapes to the head for instance and display different colours. The different locals are called morphs...
https://www.adcham.com/html/taxonomy/pardalismorphs.html

You said..."I had pretty much force fed him crickets while he tries to bite me"...he's biting because he feels threatened. I don't recommend trying to force feed him. Just release a few crickets in his cage and give him some space and he will almost certainly eat.

Do you have them in separate cages?

When you hold a chameleon..just let him walk on your hand or a branch might be better until,he gets used to you. Gripping them makes them try to get away from you and you may hurt him.

More in a few minutes...

Hi there. :) This is the help form. Please take no offense, but I can’t help but think that you have little experience and knowledge about chams from the way you are holding the male. This is the right place to learn. Fill out the form and one of the experienced members can better help you.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Thank you i will be sure to fill that out or copy and paste questions along with my answers

Back
Top Bottom