Gravid?/ pregnant?

All the males that were caught resemble him my friend has caught over 100 already. So they’re both certainly Wild caught And supposedly the guy who xrayed them says that yes there are fertile And are you saying that because I caught her while she might have been gravid possesses a greater chance of her being too stressed to lay eggs She does seem to be eating just fine when I feed her but yes I am very new to all of this and my friend only has limited information on wild Panther chameleons I appreciate your response
Yea, sorry I've given you all the "help" I can. You clearly don't understand the simple concept of stress. YES, I AM STAYING THAT CAPTURING A PREGNANT FEMALE CAN CAUSE HER TO NOT LAY. The fact I have to spell that out tells me everything I need to know.

If your friend with the xray machine says that they are "fertilized eggs"... then what is it you're doing here...?

You have a lot to learn fast if you're going to keep those chameleons.

Local....Panther chameleons originally came from different areas of Madagascar and each one is like a different species...they have slightly different shapes to the head for instance and display different colours. The different locals are called morphs...
https://www.adcham.com/html/taxonomy/pardalismorphs.html

You said..."I had pretty much force fed him crickets while he tries to bite me"...he's biting because he feels threatened. I don't recommend trying to force feed him. Just release a few crickets in his cage and give him some space and he will almost certainly eat.

Do you have them in separate cages?

When you hold a chameleon..just let him walk on your hand or a branch might be better until,he gets used to you. Gripping them makes them try to get away from you and you may hurt him.

More in a few minutes...

Thank you for the response i do believe that they both are nosey b panther
They are both separated but the cage is split into two with no way of them seeing each other and okay thank you for the tip on feeding him, i have not witnessed either of them drink water but i do mist 3-4 times a day from a far distance and they have both lights in a high spot for them to bask, i also have a water dripper for both sides and i did witness the female at the bottom corner of her cage on the floor she immediately climbed back up i took all the dirt out of her cage and left the laying bin with about 9 inch of dirt and way for her to get out of it . Thank you again for the response and information.

IMHO only experienced keepers should have a WC CHAM.

if you don’t mind me asking how much Research did you do on chameleons before you agreed to get one? These guys are no joke and extremely sensitive,read this thread about laying bins

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/
I caught a yemen before and he wasn’t so pleased and escaped I really have zero experience in keeping them but I do have a good size cage and plants and other things that would suit a Chamaeleon but as far as experience goes i have none I have been researching every day thank you for the read will definitely look up on that right now

Yea, sorry I've given you all the "help" I can. You clearly don't understand the simple concept of stress. YES, I AM STAYING THAT CAPTURING A PREGNANT FEMALE CAN CAUSE HER TO NOT LAY. The fact I have to spell that out tells me everything I need to know.

If your friend with the xray machine says that they are "fertilized eggs"... then what is it you're doing here...?

Well I am here for the simple fact that I am not for certain that she is. Pregnant the guy that does have that machine lives pretty far and might charge me so I am here just to get opinions on whether or not she looks pregnant and how I can go about helping her lay the eggs I do not want to release them for the fact that I plan on keeping them for as long as I can and also and trying to have her lay eggs but from what I am reading on some of the comments I guess
That is difficult Thanks for your input very much appreciated

Today when I returned from work I found her in the corner on the floor where the dirt was located this is how she looked at that moment I appreciate everyone’s info I can see that some people are I guess frustrated with me or my comments Because of my lack of experience with handling chameleons I’m just here to learn as much as I can and to get opinions on whether or not you guys think she Is pregnant And how I should go about making things easy for her to lay Thanks again to everyone for the information

Attachments

• C93C019B-B93B-4F9B-A52A-E37B6B0F9F6A.jpeg
    C93C019B-B93B-4F9B-A52A-E37B6B0F9F6A.jpeg
    269.4 KB · Views: 131
  • 48CE645F-72F2-45AD-9198-F0D6CBD7C8B1.jpeg
    48CE645F-72F2-45AD-9198-F0D6CBD7C8B1.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 134
If the OP is thinking $$ which i think you are implying and assuming i still do not see the logic behind it as they appear to be abundant in the area.

What my friend does with the chameleons it’s totally his business all that I know is that I have two that I plan on keeping and taken care of for as long as I can so I do not know what every one is implying about money and keeping them but I just came here for information on my female thank you all in advance

What my friend does with the chameleons it’s totally his business all that I know is that I have two that I plan on keeping and taken care of for as long as I can so I do not know what every one is implying about money and keeping them but I just came here for information on my female thank you all in advance
Ok, then fill out the form.

@Kahmeleonaire I'm not going to sugar coat this.

We believe you, we are all aware of the wild chameleon population in south Florida. Your making us cringe with every new post! lol Im really struggeling to find anything yall are doing correctly.

This community will gladly give you a crash course in husbandry but your not going to get any support until you answer the questions in the help form above. If you don't know the answer just answer "I don't know".

Thank you sorry everyone :p i will fill out the form in a few mins

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon.

(I believe they are nosey B panther chameleons, i have one male one female)

How long has it been in your care?

(About 2 weeks)

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
(Every other day)

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

( crickets every other day )

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

( i have not used any supplements but i plan on using reptical)

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

( i have not witnessed them drink water , i mist every day from a far distance making sure to mist the plants, i have two little drippers dropping water into there cage i aslo use bottle water only )

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

( when i see the female she is usually a bright pink lately she has been pink with light black markings this is a wild caught chameleon so i have not had either of them checked )

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

(Cage is 5foot by 6 foot tall with wood separating the male and female from each other they cannot see one another it is made from wood and chicken wire, with real plants )

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

(I have two uvb light bulbs that i bought for them i forgot the brand name , it is on from 6:30 in the morning till about 7 at night )

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

(I do have an outside thermometer they are kept in my carport with highs being around 80 degrees and lows about 70-75 for lows)

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

(I have not measured humidity)

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

(I do not know the name of the plants but they have white flowers on them plants that my mother in law planted )

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

(The cage is located in my carport with minimal foot traffic it is placed in the corner where it is shaded the cage stand 6 foot tall)

Location - Where are you geographically located?
(Florida)

(About 2 weeks)

(Every other day)

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

( i have not witnessed them drink water , i mist every day from a far distance making sure to mist the plants, i have two little drippers dropping water into there cage i aslo use bottle water only )

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

( when i see the female she is usually a bright pink lately she has been pink with light black markings this is a wild caught chameleon so i have not had either of them checked )

Cage Info:

(Cage is 5foot by 6 foot tall with wood separating the male and female from each other they cannot see one another it is made from wood and chicken wire, with real plants )

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

(I have two uvb light bulbs that i bought for them i forgot the brand name , it is on from 6:30 in the morning till about 7 at night )

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

(I do have an outside thermometer they are kept in my carport with highs being around 80 degrees and lows about 70-75 for lows)

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

(I do not know the name of the plants but they have white flowers on them plants that my mother in law planted )

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

(The cage is located in my carport with minimal foot traffic it is placed in the corner where it is shaded the cage stand 6 foot tall)

(Florida)
Pictures of each enclosure too please. The entire cage top to bottom

In the interest of the chameleons here's more info.

Lay bin...it should remain in the female's cage all the time (Male and female should be housed separately and should not be able to see each other). It should be an opaque container at least 12" x 8" x 8"deep filled with washed play sand that is moist enough to hold a tunnel.

You need proper supplements to dust on the insects just before feeding them to the chameleon, you need to feed/gutload the insects well so they will be healthy to feed to the chameleons, you need a long linear reptisun 5.0 UVB light and a regular incandescent household bulb in a hood for a basking light. Of course you need a cage for each of them.

This should help too...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/

Last edited:
In the interest of the chameleons here's more info.

Lay bin...it should remain in the female's cage all the time (Male and female should be housed separately and should not be able to see each other). It should be an opaque container at least 12" x 8" x 8"deep filled with washed play sand that is moist enough to hold a tunnel.

You need proper supplements to dust on the insects just. Effort feeding them to the chameleon, you need to feed/gutload the insects well so they will be healthy to feed to the chameleons, you need a long linear reptisun 5.0 UVB light and a regular incandescent household bulb in a hood for a basking light. Of course you need a cage for each of them.

This should help too...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/
Thank you a lot i will use this information

(About 2 weeks)

(Every other day)

Cage Info:

(Florida)
If you really want a chameleon you should consider letting these guys go and looking for a juvenile male instead. You’re taking on a lot to begin with. It’s great that you’re here and looking for answers, but there are questions you don’t even know to ask yet. I’m not trying to be critical! I was definitely where you are and in a couple ways still am. But you don’t know what you don’t know. These two need more than I think you’re able to provide right now. Just my thoughts.

If you really want a chameleon you should consider letting these guys go and looking for a juvenile male instead. You’re taking on a lot to begin with. It’s great that you’re here and looking for answers, but there are questions you don’t even know to ask yet. I’m not trying to be critical! I was definitely where you are and in a couple ways still am. But you don’t know what you don’t know. These two need more than I think you’re able to provide right now. Just my thoughts.
Very appreciated i plan on keeping them and trying to provide whatever i can for them even if people think it is wrong for me to have them.

Very appreciated i plan on keeping them and trying to provide whatever i can for them even if people think it is wrong for me to have them.
Well I hope you prove me wrong. Check out the care sheets on this website, get very familiar with your feeders and supplements. Never stop learning even when you think you’ve got it figured out. Good luck and if you’ve got more questions please don’t hesitate to ask the people here on the forum!

Well I hope you prove me wrong. Check out the care sheets on this website, get very familiar with your feeders and supplements. Never stop learning even when you think you’ve got it figured out. Good luck and if you’ve got more questions please don’t hesitate to ask the people here on the forum!
Thank you ! I really hope i can prove a lot of people wrong i will definitely be reading everything everyone shared.

Back
Top Bottom