Gravid K. Tavetana?

anders890

I got my paif of Kinyongia Tavetana yesterday, and Im a bit worried over the female who drank a lot of water and took a bath when I let her go in her new cage. You can clearly see that se is "fat" and have eggs on the side of her abdomen, I also fixed a layingbox today, but she spend all the time on the floor, and she is laying down under a plant tonight, only breathing.. Im a bit afraid that I'm going to loose her! :(

Attachments

• gravid K. tavetana.jpg
    gravid K. tavetana.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 143
Are these wc chams? Where are you located? Did they travel a good distance to get to you? I am just trying to look at the risk factors. Shipping is hard on a gravid cham. Often if the come in wc they are not fed or watered properly. All I can offer is give her as much water as you can without drowning her laying bin. Otherwise I would leave her alone to hopefully lay. I really hope you get babies, I would love to see them. I loved having Tav's even if they both wanted to eat me.:D

Last edited:
Yes they are very beautiful chams :)
I really dont know if they are wc, I hope not, I've got them from a friend :) Yes they arrived to me yesterday, after a very long car journey from Hamm(Germany) to Sweden. The male is doing great anyway, but the female has been around the floor and in the water a couple of times, but this evening she has been on the floor all the time and laying still and hiding, It seems to me that she are trying to lay eggs, she has that "typical position" of the body.

If I find eggs tomorrow, outside of her layingbox, should I dig them down in the layingbox then? Its my first time with gravid animals of this species :)

Yes if you see any eggs do chech her laying bin. You should be able to tell bu looking if she has laid. She will most likely have dirt on her face and will be very skinny..

As soon as she lays the eggs offer her lots of good foods like silk worms, dubia, or what ever you have there. Make sure to dust the food items with calcium. She will be very low on calcium so you need to give her healthy food and lots of water.

I found her dead this morning, I think se was trying to lay eggs, but It did'nt go well this time. I cut her open, and found 10 eggs, so right now I have them in a laying box, some people say that I should use a incubator, and some say that I don't need one, anyway I will try to hatch them. If any people here have any good advice to tell me, so feel free to speak.
Do the eggs look okey?

Attachments

• äggK.tavetana.jpg
    äggK.tavetana.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 136
Shame, it was too much for her. Glad you still have the eggs. Sure someone will help you with the incubation.

Sorry you had to do that. It is not a fun thing.

Hard to tell if the eggs will be ok, but be sure to remove the membrane from them (pink stuff that they are encased in). They can't breathe inside of that.

Here is a picture of my one and only egg left, over 8 months has passed
I tried to cut one of the "bad" eggs open, and found a little one dead..
Im not sure what to do with the last one, i think it has started to get a little smaller, but have not seen any signs of "sweating", not sure if I should wait longer! What do you guys think? :)

Attachments

• 1424512941919-1248768648.jpg
    1424512941919-1248768648.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 136
I think you may want to let it hatch on it's own. Too bad you lost one. It looks like it may have been developing well.

Again, my inclination would be to let it hatch naturally. Also, check around this site to be sure the conditions you are providing are ideal.

Back
Top Bottom