GRAVID female veild??

ReikoChameleon

Hey guys i have a female veild i believe she is pregnant. she is dark green with yellow spots .... how long until she is ready to lay? i think she must only be 2-4 days pregnant... i put her with the male today and he just bobbed at her.... just curious if these are gravid colours and when i should put a bucket in her case to dig....... and also if anyone can help me with the steps after she lays eggs i have never had a gravid cham before... cheers

Hey guys i have a female veild i believe she is pregnant. she is dark green with yellow spots .... how long until she is ready to lay? i think she must only be 2-4 days pregnant... i put her with the male today and he just bobbed at her.... just curious if these are gravid colours and when i should put a bucket in her case to dig....... and also if anyone can help me with the steps after she lays eggs i have never had a gravid cham before... cheers

Sounds like she is gravid.

any idea how long till she is ready to lay eggs???? should i not handle her at all.. should i feed her more or less? any tips on how to make things run smooth

yes i do ....do u think she is ready for the bin with only starting to show these colours today???? what steps should i take once she does lay eggs???

i believe so i left her with my male alone for about 5 hours i never saw it but he is always trying to mount her..... plus she is showing these crazy colours i never seen on her the dark greenish black with big yellow spots and strips

Put them in a tupperware or rubbermaid with a tight fitting lid. Put 2 small holes in the lid and put them in a closet or some dark place. It takes about 9 months to hatch. Here's a pic of my eggs with the lid off:

Attachments

• Camille eggs 022.jpg
    Camille eggs 022.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 122
Its usually about 30 days from the mating until the laying with a veiled. However, it depends somewhat on where she was in the cycle when she mated....so the best thing is to have a container in the cage where the female can dig to let you know she's ready and then she can be moved to the bigger bin when she is intent. The smallest the container in the cage should be is (when empty) large enough for the chameleon to fit into with a couple of inches to spare on all sides including above and below. It should be filled about 3/4 full with washed playsand.

Once the female is digging, don't let her see you watching her or she will abandon the hole. If it happens often enough it can push the female towards eggbinding.

The female may dig several test holes but should settle on one eventually and continue to dig it until she's satisfied with it. She should then turn around bum down (usually in the evening) and lay the eggs, fill the hole in and tamp it down. She should then return to the branches...at which time you can dig up the eggs carefully. They can be moved (trying not to turn them while you are doing so) to a container that you have prepared ahead of time.

The containers I use are shoebox sized tupperware-type containers. I punch two very very tiny holes in the lid, fill the container about half full of slightly moist vermiculite, make small depressions in rows about 1" apart in all directions and place the eggs in the container and put the lid back on.

To test the moisture of the (coarse) vermiculite, take a fist full of it and squeeze it....if no more than a couple of drops of water come out, then its right.

There will be moisture beads form inside the container on the lid and sides of it...this is fine.

I check every few days at first just to make sure the eggs are okay and to remove any that are definitely not good. I get the lid off and on again as quickly as possible.

The eggs should be incubated in a dark place at about 76F.

Good luck!

thanks so much everyone for all the help.... and i apologize for the incorrect words i have spelled out .... i was very tired...... how can u tell if the eggs are not good???

any idea how long till she is ready to lay eggs???? should i not handle her at all.. should i feed her more or less? any tips on how to make things run smooth

Hi I waited five days for mine to lay .. did my nerves in.
read pregnant veiled on here and your see what I mean.
and don't use coco brick it won't hold up as a tunnel as it drys it will fall.
I wrote what I used and how...
Good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom