Gravid female since February.

Lacrowell

I have a female veiled Cham that was born the end of July. She has been gravid since February. I have given her a dig box, monitored the temp she has never laid eggs. It was confirmed by X-ray that she is definitely gravid. And still is. At one time she was absorbing the eggs, but now there are more and they won't mineralize. has anyone else heard of anything like this, and if so how did they fix it? She is eating well and drinking. No other health issues have been found. I am a licensed vet tech, and work at a clinic that has exotic vets. And we are at a loss.

Welcome to the forums and I am sorry to hear about your female. She will most likely need surgery and before she gets sick and weak. She will also need a vet experienced in chameleon surgery. If you don't have an experience vet, if you tell me where you live I might be able to recommend one.

My clinic has three experienced exotic vets that have done this type of surgery before. We are hesitant to do the surgery because even though she is in great health surgery is very risky for chameleons and the recovery is also not without risk. We are looking for other avenues to see if we can change anything to help her lay the eggs. We were going to do the surgery but then she started eating again and we noticed the eggs were absorbing. So we postponed the surgery. But now a few months later she is producing more eggs.

They can be given a shot to help induce them to lay the eggs. Of course the surgery comes with risk, but what surgery doesn't? At some point you will have to make a decision. If she has eggs, and does not lay them she will die anyways, so surgery will be the only option.

Great update!! Today I came home to a skinny muddy little girl. She laid her eggs. I have been watching her closely and made a few habitat changes and she finally did it. And all on her own. I will be taking her back to work on Monday to X-ray her to make sure they are all out, but as skinny as she is now I can't believe any are left.

Back
Top Bottom