Gravid dwarf Fischer is in her laying bin and is now mouth wide open?..

Shelbycam

Hi I have a 4 yr old dwarf Fischer cham she is in her laying bin I received her from an online website 5 days ago right away noticeably gravid took her to vet for check up she is in perfect health and confirmed 5 eggs I have never had her breed only veiled and eliots she dug a little but is now mouth wide open like she hates the air is she contracting or trying to lay on top of sand? As my veileds I never seen the actual happening of the egg laying I was always gone. And my eliots always just gave birth in the morning. Just wondering if anyone has seen this she has also went of her food about 2 hr ago as well she didn't want her lunch as normal since I have gotten her she doesn't stop eating so I'm thinking this is it just curious as her with open mouth seems like she is in pain.

Nvm guys that is what is happening she just layer her first egg

Attachments

• 20220313_161306.jpg
    20220313_161306.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 93
She doesn't like her day light I tried it but she was not having it so she has her night light and she seems to love it she has passed all her eggs just fine!!

We are not sure. We purchased her from an online store and it did not say anything about her being gravid but the day she came she was absolutely gravid you could see the eggs.. I have messaged multiple times now waiting to call tomorrow in hopes for more information they look very healthy so far but doesn't mean they are fertile. I will be incubating them either way just incase.

She also had eight not five the xray was wrong vet said they were most likely in her rib cage area that is why the others were hard to see.

Hello!

How do you know she is 4 years old? There are very very few breeders of this species and I don't think either of them have produced a female that could be that old. I'd bet a lot of $ she is a wild caught and gravid with fertile eggs. You might want to incubate them if that is the case. Also, for future reference, the name "dwarf fischer's chameleon" is something they are often sold as, but it is a little misleading as they're not a fischer's. The scientific name is kinyongia boehmei, which it might be helpful to use so folks can tell exactly what she is :)

How have the baby ellioti done for you? Have you raised them to juvenile-adulthood?

Best of luck and very glad she laid for you!

I have raised eliots and veiled chameleon for over 30 yrs now and my 4 eliots are amazing I have one gravid female should be dropping her babies in the next month and 2 female 1yr old and 1 male 2 yr old.

They said she was 4 I didn't believe it as I know they are rare that and her being fully gravid is why she has same day delivered same day vet check. I'm positive that is why I have not received a response from them I am calling tomorrow and not going to stop until I speak to someone that knows something. But it was something I have searched for as they are so beautiful and truly the perfect pet cham. I seen her available and couldn't say no. My vet said there are not really any good ways of telling true age with her species is that true?

Do you use red lights on your other cages at night?
Only at night I do not get the cheap bulbs ever sorry they have day lights and night she was just not liking the day in her laying bin I think it was to bright for her she is back to her day light but dimmed as it is getting late in the afternoon here we dim them as the day gets late then the night lights are on till 6am when sun comes up then day again but they also have a full outside inclosure a giant green house we altered just for my babies it is still to cold but soon they will be enjoying nature. They go out on and off with our tortoises and iquanas and monitors. They all love it.

That's quite a bit of experience! I am just asking because the pool of ellioti breeders is still somewhat limited, so I'm curious if you have raised many of the babies to adulthood or juvenile size, which tends to be the more challenging part.

Yes, the vet is right. There is no way to tell age definitively unless it is younger than an adult. In that case of course you can see the development of rostral processes and the red "cap" in females to know when they hit adulthood. But if the animal is already gravid or otherwise an adult, there is no way to definitively tell the age.

That's quite a bit of experience! I am just asking because the pool of ellioti breeders is still somewhat limited, so I'm curious if you have raised many of the babies to adulthood or juvenile size, which tends to be the more challenging part.

Yes, the vet is right. There is no way to tell age definitively unless it is younger than an adult. In that case of course you can see the development of rostral processes and the red "cap" in females to know when they hit adulthood. But if the animal is already gravid or otherwise an adult, there is no way to definitively tell the age.
Yes so I have raised my babies to adulthood and have had my oldest pass at 6 yrs of age my vet and I said she was like my 36 yr old horse having to much fun to leave. I have found individuals having more problems at birthing age depending on when they got them I call birthing age as I would never let a baby go younger then 48hrs. And mid juvenile but it is easy done if done properly my chams are like my children as all of my animals are and they are very strange compared to most you will find or see they will get depressed and stressed if they do not get to come out and ride on my head extra daily some evn come to the store with me the chillon dash then on the buggy as I shop they love it not shy or scared at all but as I tell everyone it depends on how they are raised. You half to put a lot of effort into it to get them like mine I'm sure there are so many that do. But most don't and they end up with real complications that can end fatality.

Her eggs take after her beautiful I am incubating them with fingers crossed. And calling tomorrow to not only get answers but give a piece of my mind with sending a gravid baby to a random me without informing..

Will they be fertile?

She should have no light at night and her daytime basking light should be a white light...and the UVB should be a long linear tube light.
Her lights as all are the long liner tubes they need a night light in our climate and I have been doing this for over 30 yrs I got this. Thank you for the advice though.

Question for everyone have tou ever seen a cham give birth on her back like a human?
Answer for me is yes! I have had one cham that stayed on her side and back were I had to grip her feet to a stick and hold her up with one finger just to give birth because her position of on her back was not working I actually have video of it she was spoiled rotten she was rhe age 6 when she passed a yr passed her normal living age.

Back
Top Bottom