Grasshoppers vs crickets

Uri

Avid Member
They are both jumpy insects but I was wondering if anyone knows the difference nutritionally as well as raising and breeding them I like to breed my insects because buying weekly is EXPENSIVE for the amount my animals eat and also if they are harder to raise and breed than crickets because or easier and yk sizes too because I keep mostly small species of everything and I’d baby grasshoppers can match those pinhead crickets

A little hard to understand what you’re saying, but to sum it up, grasshoppers will take a reptibreeze enclosure or similar. They need substrate to lay their egg case in(at least the species I kept), often need very hot temperatures, possibly uvb?(mine always seemed better when exposed to sun), and lots of food too.

I’m sure there is info out there somewhere on the nutrition of grasshoppers/crickets, but then again, each species will probably be a little bit different.

A little hard to understand what you’re saying, but to sum it up, grasshoppers will take a reptibreeze enclosure or similar. They need substrate to lay their egg case in(at least the species I kept), often need very hot temperatures, possibly uvb?(mine always seemed better when exposed to sun), and lots of food too.

I’m sure there is info out there somewhere on the nutrition of grasshoppers/crickets, but then again, each species will probably be a little bit different.
I feel like uvb and natural sunlight is benificial to all living organisms to an extent as much as people may not want to it may help make feeders better for our reptiles if even by just a little

I feel like uvb and natural sunlight is benificial to all living organisms to an extent as much as people may not want to it may help make feeders better for our reptiles if even by just a little
Yeah I think I read something that some insects, maybe snails, carry some amount of vitamin D when exposed to the sun. May be off on that, it was a while back.

For the grasshoppers, they only seemed active and trying to breed when I had the cages sitting outside in the hot sun.

I did get katydids to breed fairly easy, they needed regular mistings and a lot of food(similar to what you’d gutload with… seeds, greens, etc). They lay their eggs on branches, but since I live in a cold winter climate and that’s where I caught the katydids, the eggs needed a diapause. So it took me almost year for my eggs to hatch.

If someone could streamline the katydid breeding, they make one of the best Cham feeders. Bright green, big, and active!

I have got two proven care sheets to breed two species on North American Schistocerca or locust species. PM me if you are interested. One thing to make note of, I have found that chameleons can become so fond of grasshoppers or locust to the extreme that they will start to refusing other food items. That in mind take care how often you feed out your grasshoppers of locust.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Back
Top Bottom