Grasshopper

I have a question.

I'm new here on the form but i'm having chams for over 2/3 years in holland but in the feeding list of this site i cant find the grasshoppers.

Now the question do you guys feed the chams with grashoppers?

well im from holland and here in holland you can buy your grasshopper in every reptilestore and almost all petstore's but you have to order a week before you want to have them.

Yeah i feed my cham grasshoppers, she loves them maybe a bit to much, when i first tried her on them she refused to eat crickets because she liked the hoppers so much, took me months to get her to eat crickets again.

whoa those are some killer spines on the first hopper haha. I wouldnt like feeding hoppers they jump too high/far crickets are perfect for me haha

In the US it is generally illegal to ship grasshoppers. Stores do not sell them, and the only way you can get them is by catching them yourself, or having another person catch them for you. I was told only grasshoppers that are native to the state they are being shipped to are legal to ship.

Yes, I feed mine grasshoppers when I can.

Yes, I too use grasshoppers (wild caught, in season)

Because they are a potential agricultural pest, locust/grasshoppers are not typically found for sale here.

Steve...where do you get your hoppers?....outside or from a source?...just curious...i find mantids more than katyids and hoppers , where i live:p

I have a network of local gardeners. I get the call everytime they catch one or two for me. I keep them for a week or two before feeding off. Have a dozen I'm keeping with intent to breed. But easier to collect. Maybe we can trade hoppers for mantis. Also have 10 kaytdid, with hope of breeding.

Lucky! I haven't been able to find ANY katydids around here. I was looking to keep them as pets and if they bred I'd feed off the offspring. Is the species you have native to CA? It would be amazing if I could buy some of the babies :)

I feed my veiled wild caught grasshoppers when they are in season but like our american neighbors grasshoppers generally are not sold, I wish they were.

Here in the netherlands i think its the most common food for chams.

Why arent you guys breeding hoppers for yourself then?
It happens a lot here so why not or is itt illegal too?

There are some keepers here in the states that are attempting to captive breed colonies of grasshoppers. They just are not available on the commercial level yet.

Back
Top Bottom