US Grasshopper Surplus

Nope they're too tiny to consider for my purposes. Life cycle is all the same though, just slightly faster. Also pretty sure its Melanoplus femurrubrum instead of gladstoni.

I wrote the wrong scientific name down?!? It has been a long while since that has happened.

Just a note there may be some keepers that would buy the smaller hoppers. Alternative foods for Bradypodion and other smaller chameleon species is something keepers keep an eye out for. Chameleon occasionally go on hungerstrikes and alternative (especially aclaimating imports) foods are a good way to end the food fasting.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I wrote the wrong scientific name down?!? It has been a long while since that has happened.

Just a note there may be some keepers that would buy the smaller hoppers. Alternative foods for Bradypodion and other smaller chameleon species is something keepers keep an eye out for. Chameleon occasionally go on hungerstrikes and alternative (especially aclaimating imports) foods are a good way to end the food fasting.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

My guys did love them (I have a smaller species), so you are right about that. They are a good option for someone with smaller species. Cricket sized, without the funky cricket!

For a veiled, panther, etc, you get more bang with the larger hoppers. Luckily for me, I have a variety of chameleons and sizes, so I can feed off all stages and sizes.

It’s a shame that katydids are so finicky!

My guys did love them (I have a smaller species), so you are right about that. They are a good option for someone with smaller species. Cricket sized, without the funky cricket!

For a veiled, panther, etc, you get more bang with the larger hoppers. Luckily for me, I have a variety of chameleons and sizes, so I can feed off all stages and sizes.

It’s a shame that katydids are so finicky!

As well my chameleons by far prefer grasshoppers to crickets as a food source. Meaning have them available in all sizes is desired for keepers of all sized chameleons. My and other keepers who have fed of grasshoppers have stated that chameleons can become spoiled when fed grasshoppers too much and won't accept other foods. That means I highly recommend feed them only occasionally.

Why don't you breed your own colonies of Katydids? There are more than one keepers that breed them.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

As well my chameleons by far prefer grasshoppers to crickets as a food source. Meaning have them available in all sizes is desired for keepers of all sized chameleons. My and other keepers who have fed of grasshoppers have stated that chameleons can become spoiled when fed grasshoppers too much and won't accept other foods. That means I highly recommend feed them only occasionally.

Why don't you breed your own colonies of Katydids? There are more than one keepers that breed them.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I tried - I had meadow katydids and coneheads, but they canabalized each other. This was my second attempt. They are a great feeder.

I wholeheartedly agree. I have hoppers, silks, dubia, mantids, phasmids, snails, bsfl, moths, isopods, and supers in regular rotation. Katydids can be a summer treat.

I breed a lot of species of feeder insects too. I in the past have bred and fed off most of the species you have listed above. Grasshopper wise I normally only breed two species of Schistocerca, the larger locust species of grasshoppers. My facilities were larger I would breed more though.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I tried - I had meadow katydids and coneheads, but they canabalized each other. This was my second attempt. They are a great feeder.
I recommend Microcentrum rhombifolium if going for katydids. They're big but herbivorous.
20200904_172657.jpg

Coneheads are complete psychopaths, which you can tell by looking at their face.

I recommend Microcentrum rhombifolium if going for katydids. They're big but herbivorous.
View attachment 289020

Coneheads are complete psychopaths, which you can tell by looking at their face.

Haha that is accurate!! They were a good size, and I had various colors... was hoping they would fo well! Unfortunately they are the most prevalent in my area. I’ll def be on the hunt for the species you mention. Do you know of common and anglewings are any better? They crop up occassionally.

thanks for your insight, and Jeremy’s, btw

Last edited:
Haha that is accurate!! They were a good size, and I had various colors... was hoping they would fo well! Unfortunately they are the most prevalent in my area. I’ll def be on the hunt for the species you mention. Do you know of common and anglewings are any better? They crop up occassionally.

thanks for your insight, and Rich’s, btw
NP, anglewings are probably just the best, but I don't have the experience with the others to say definitively. You should have M. rhombifolium in your area. They're all over the US, even in cities. They're just difficult to catch because they're usually high up in trees, but they have a distinct fast ticking sound.

Could I reserve some for when my new guy comes in two months, or will they not lay enough eggs again by then?

Back
Top Bottom