US Grasshopper Surplus

SauceGandhi

Avid Member
3/9 update:

Schistocerca sp. (Birdwing grasshoppers) available to most states.

deanmissimer.com

Other species available for the other states as well. Working on increasing availability.

20200129_165912.jpg 20210203_031037.jpg

Last edited:
Correct me if I’m wrong here, but aren’t grasshoppers like helix aspersa where it’s illegal for them to cross state lines?

There are three species of Hoppers that are legal Federally to sell and ship as feeder insects for the last couple years now. Locust species are not Federally legal yet. Dean and his colleagues have really taken breeding grasshoppers to the next level. They are producing large amounts of Hoppers on a monthly basis. Dean looks finally ready to sell some of his Melanoplus differentialis to the Chameleon Forums.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Have you heard any news is any of the larger species of Locust are going to be made federally available reptile keepers?

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
No, but looking at the ridiculous amount of feeders roaches that got legalized that day, I would imagine it's possible if you can get into contact with the right people.

Sorry, I forgot to update that they sold out already. I'll update this in the future if I have excess again. Thanks, everyone :)

Dean

Have you got any of the other of the USDA approved species being bred at your place that maybe made available? Red Legged (Melanoplus gladstoni) or Migratory Hoppers (Melanoplus sanguinipes)?

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Dean

Have you got any of the other of the USDA approved species being bred at your place that maybe made available? Red Legged (Melanoplus gladstoni) or Migratory Hoppers (Melanoplus sanguinipes)?

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
Nope they're too tiny to consider for my purposes. Life cycle is all the same though, just slightly faster. Also pretty sure its Melanoplus femurrubrum instead of gladstoni.
Dang!! Just missed them!
Next time :)

Nope they're too tiny to consider for my purposes. Life cycle is all the same though, just slightly faster. Also pretty sure its Melanoplus femurrubrum instead of gladstoni.

Next time :)

I’m going to have to stalk you more closely!

I agree that the m femurrubrum are too small to be worth the effort. Went down that road with them, and meadow katydids. Not worth it.

Back
Top Bottom