US Grasshopper Surplus

Sauce Ghandi is the bomb. I always get my eggs and hoppers from him.

That video was super helpful. A friend gave me a great tip - because my husband has accidentally let them loose in my house at least three times!

• Get some soft bug screening (I buy it on Amazon for like $20 for a big roll). Also great for creating dart frog vents.
  • Ziptie it to to the top of the enclosure, just inside the door.
  • Cut it to the length of the cage and let it drape down.
  • Cut a slit straight up the middle.
It creates a curtain that keeps them from being able to just jump (or fly) out of the door when you open it. Sometimes one or two gets on the other side of the curtain, but they are easy to spot and usually I just tap the screen and they crawl back where they belong. This makes it easier for me to feed them.... because I'm scared of anything that jumps or flies directly at you. :D

Thanks!

That's a good trick. Also, it's nice that they're attracted to the light, so escapees will usually return to the cage unless you have something brighter like an open window, in which case it's still an easy find and recovery :)

Sauce Ghandi is the bomb. I always get my eggs and hoppers from him.

That video was super helpful. A friend gave me a great tip - because my husband has accidentally let them loose in my house at least three times!

• Get some soft bug screening (I buy it on Amazon for like $20 for a big roll). Also great for creating dart frog vents.
  • Ziptie it to to the top of the enclosure, just inside the door.
  • Cut it to the length of the cage and let it drape down.
  • Cut a slit straight up the middle.
It creates a curtain that keeps them from being able to just jump (or fly) out of the door when you open it. Sometimes one or two gets on the other side of the curtain, but they are easy to spot and usually I just tap the screen and they crawl back where they belong. This makes it easier for me to feed them.... because I'm scared of anything that jumps or flies directly at you. :D
Omg!!! I love this!! What an idea! Why didn't I think of this?? It seems perfect!
I have some hoppers that I am tying to get to breed. Well, they've done their thing, just impatiently waiting for the hatchlings.
Here's something I started doing that has seemed to work well for me.
I failed miserably at keeping fresh romaine leaves in their cage. The high temps seemed to wilt/dry them almost immediately. So I started putting the whole friggin head in the cage.
I get a heavy ceramic coffee cup that'll fit the head without having to squish it into it. I peel or shave off a little of the bottom (Xmas tree fresh cut philosophy) and add just a little bit of water. Place the head in the cup and set the cup in the cage.
The weight of the cup keeps it from falling over.
Have yet to lose one to drowning.
The leaves stay fresh for the little critters all the way to the end. I usually replace once they get to the heart of the head, they definitely prefer the green leaves, but if I am busy or forgetful, they will continue working on it . (Guess as a source of water. )

Attachments

• 20210601_064251.jpg
    20210601_064251.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 146
  • 20210601_065134.jpg
    20210601_065134.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 142
  • 20210601_063918.jpg
    20210601_063918.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 144

Hello, lots of Differential Grasshopper egg cases (50-200 eggs each) available at $35 each and $9 shipping for any amount to the 48 states.

Greater Anglewing Katydid eggs available at $2 each, same deal with shipping.

Bird Grasshoppers available under permit for California. Nymphs @ $13 per 20 small, $15 per 20 med, $17 per 20 large. Winged adult breeders (2-3”) are $45 per 20 and usually require a few additional weeks to grow in.

3/18 update:

Hello! All out of Differential Grasshopper egg cases now. BUT, nymphs available to go out in 2-3 weeks @ $16 per 20 medium / $18 per 20 large, $10 shipping in California and $15 out of state. Federally legalized species per USDA.

Greater Anglewing Katydid eggs available at $2 each, $10 shipping to continental US.

Bird Grasshoppers available under permit for California. Nymphs @ $15 per 20 small, $16 per 20 med, $18 per 20 large. Winged adult breeders (2-3”) are $45 per 20 and usually require a few additional weeks to grow in.

The price of their food went up, which is kind of annoying, but hopefully this price is sustainable 😬

3/18 update:

Hello! All out of Differential Grasshopper egg cases now. BUT, nymphs available to go out in 2-3 weeks @ $16 per 20 medium / $18 per 20 large, $10 shipping in California and $15 out of state. Federally legalized species per USDA.

Greater Anglewing Katydid eggs available at $2 each, $10 shipping to continental US.

Bird Grasshoppers available under permit for California. Nymphs @ $15 per 20 small, $16 per 20 med, $18 per 20 large. Winged adult breeders (2-3”) are $45 per 20 and usually require a few additional weeks to grow in.

The price of their food went up, which is kind of annoying, but hopefully this price is sustainable 😬
I would like to get 20 medium. What foods do you feed them? Do you have a care sheet or guide on keeping them?

Back
Top Bottom