Grain Mites in the eyes of hatchling chameleons?

jpricewood

Hi,

I recently had a very healthy clutch of Oustalet's chameleons start hatching. Out of 35 eggs, eight have hatched so far. Up until this point there have been no complications. They had just started vigorously eating FF when I noticed that one-by-one they started closing their eyes. They weren't just closing their eyes, but they were heavily contracting them and rubbing them against the fake plants in the enclosure. Some of them have heavily swollen eyes. They stopped eating and drinking once they started closing their eyes.

Well, I couldn't figure it out until I went to wipe dust off the enclosure. Well...the dust started moving. I then noticed that my FF cultures were heavily covered in these mites despite efforts to prevent mites. I then noticed my entire living room was covered in these things. I started tossing cultures and washed down the chameleons plants and enclosure and moved it to a different room, because it was right next to the FF cultures.

I'm still noticing some mites around the chameleon enclosure. Some hatchlings have now opened their eyes back up but some haven't.

Is it possible that these mites are inside their eyes? If so, how do I remove them? I didn't think grain mites posed a threat to chameleons, but I could see how a high concentration could adversely affect hatchlings. Getting the mites out of my house will be an entirely different endeavor.

Jared

Hi,

I recently had a very healthy clutch of Oustalet's chameleons start hatching. Out of 35 eggs, eight have hatched so far. Up until this point there have been no complications. They had just started vigorously eating FF when I noticed that one-by-one they started closing their eyes. They weren't just closing their eyes, but they were heavily contracting them and rubbing them against the fake plants in the enclosure. Some of them have heavily swollen eyes. They stopped eating and drinking once they started closing their eyes.

Well, I couldn't figure it out until I went to wipe dust off the enclosure. Well...the dust started moving. I then noticed that my FF cultures were heavily covered in these mites despite efforts to prevent mites. I then noticed my entire living room was covered in these things. I started tossing cultures and washed down the chameleons plants and enclosure and moved it to a different room, because it was right next to the FF cultures.

I'm still noticing some mites around the chameleon enclosure. Some hatchlings have now opened their eyes back up but some haven't.

Is it possible that these mites are inside their eyes? If so, how do I remove them? I didn't think grain mites posed a threat to chameleons, but I could see how a high concentration could adversely affect hatchlings. Getting the mites out of my house will be an entirely different endeavor.

Jared

Spray their eyes with warm water. IMO ;)

I tried that and it seemed to help some of them. Others seem to more severely affected. I did see a couple resume eating. Hopefully, I can continue to reduce the concentration of mites, and they will all recover. I just feel horrible, because they are suffering from my stupid decision to leave their enclosure next to the FF cultures.

Thanks for the advice.

Just fork over the cash for pinheads. I often notice an improvement rapidly once I switch. Use no UVB for a few days too.

I was thinking Pinheads too. FF are becoming a huge pain.

Where is the most reliable place to order them from. I've heard Ghan's and LLL.

The easiest way it to culture your own so the $$$ isn't an issue.
This time of year they hatch in less than 2 weeks. JMO
1 dozen adults will give you thousands of pinheads. :)

According to the book "Understanding Reptile Parasites" https://www.chameleonforums.com/bookstore/reptile-parasites/

Using No-Pest Strips http://www.hotshot.com/Products-and-Solutions/All-Products/No-Pest-Strip.aspx is the best way to handle mites. Dichlorvos being the active ingredient is FDA approved for Reptile use. Buy the book or talk to a vet before actually using because there are specific dosing requirements as far as how long you can allow exposure and I am not sure how it would effect babies.

I got my order of 1/8" crickets in today, and dropped them in. The chameleons love them. It's the first time I've seen them all eat. They just seemed annoyed by the FF. I'll start breeding them now that I know how much they love them.

I'm trying the strips as well in the room where the FF were kept. The mites seem to be disappearing.

It seems like my little Ousties are going to be okay. Thanks to everyone for or all the help!

I got my order of 1/8" crickets in today, and dropped them in. The chameleons love them. It's the first time I've seen them all eat. They just seemed annoyed by the FF. I'll start breeding them now that I know how much they love them.

I'm trying the strips as well in the room where the FF were kept. The mites seem to be disappearing.

It seems like my little Ousties are going to be okay. Thanks to everyone for or all the help!

Be careful not to leave the strips in the room for more than to 3 hours 2 to 3 times a week. Plus they will probably kill your fruit flies and other bugs as that is what they are designed to do...

Back
Top Bottom