Gotta be kidding me!

ZacharyLeesWife

Avid Member
Dilly after her shower this morning... She had better be brewing a massive poo because if I didn't know any better I'd say that's a retained clutch coming in. Why???
20161216_091543-1.jpg

She does look a bit 'eggy' round the rear end, but could the camera angle be making it look worse? I wouldn't think they could lay again so quickly, but I may be wrong.

The last week of October, the 26th I believe.
Edit- I was way off, she laid 55 eggs on November 15th. I am still watching them but some look fertile.

Was she bred?

What I am about to write is my best guess, and not based on anything scientific other than necropsies of dead females with mature ovum ready to be fertilized. Mature ovum--with no shell yet--are pretty much the size of eggs. I believe that you can sometimes see bulges that look like eggs but are unfertilized ovum. If you touch the bulges, you'll find they are soft not hard the way an egg is. She might be getting ready to produce eggs or be receptive soon.

Does the mother have health problems?

I'd lean towards gravid like @jajeanpierre said. I've never bred veileds but anytime one of my panthers lays a clutch it's not just one time they usually lay 3 or 4 over the following months.

She wasn't intentionally bred, but her and my male did spend time together free ranging before her last clutch. I never saw any mating or even flirting, but they were together while I deep cleaned cages on Sundays so I was distracted. I'm a terrible parent. She is a very plump girl normally but this doesn't look like just my baby's chunky butt. She looks gravid again!
@jajeanpierre She was diagnosed with hypocalcemia, osteoarthritis, a uri, and coccidia so she's pretty under the weather! She's on an antibiotic, a pain med, an anti parasite med and liquid calcium. The antibiotics and pain med are almost done and the parasite med has 4 more days. If she's brewing a retained clutch so soon, I'm going to see about possibly starting calcium injections. The vet said she didn't want to use MBD as a diagnosis because it was most likely an acute calcium drop from her clutch but I'll post her x-rays, I personally saw bends characteristic of MBD. Screenshot_2016-12-04-16-06-28.png

I don't want to wake her up because she's tucked in with her jammies on but if those aren't gravid spots and eggs above her back legs then I've never seen them.
20161216_173745-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom