Got Silas on my hand today.

Debbie61

Well today was the day. Silas got out of his cage onto his new free range plant today. He was checking it out and seemed to enjoy his freedom. I was able to approach him and get him on my hand and was able to have him on my hand for a little while. He didn't try to bite :D, but was a little apprehensive (puffing his chin a little), but all went well. After a little while I put him back in his cage. I was pretty excited to have him on my hand for the first time. Hopefully he will become more used to me and will want to come out more often.

Hey that's making great progress!! Way to go! You will find that they really can understand the concept of being in a cage versus being out of one. They sure like their freedom.

I keep my little guy in a 30x16.5x48 but take him out every day to free range on a tree out side :)

I can really tell the difference in my Jackson's personality whenever I started to free range him compared to when I had him in a cage. He seems much happier!

Congrats! I just had the same success yesterday. Although I do not have a free range, i just left his cage door open and he climbed on top of it and I was able to get him off without a puff or hiss. So just with that little of a difference; i dont see how anyone can doubt the free range theory.

The free range thing does not always do anything to the chameleons temperament/behavior. In fact, most of the time it doesn't really do anything.

Anywho, great job! I doubt he will ever bite you. He sounds like a big bluff. :) When he puffs up a little, poke his belly and see what he does. When my Sambava puffs up and I poke him he stops and looks at me for a second, then walks away.

Not every chameleon reacts the same way to things, but I completely believe in free ranging. I am currently free ranging 5 chams of 3 different species. A meller, 2 panthers and 2 veileds (with at least 2 more being free ranged soon). All 5 are extremely handleable and not afraid of anything. They do not hide or run away or 'puff up' at all. The panthers especially used to be VERY aggressive, mean really. When they were caged, they would attack and bite while we put food in the cages. It has taken my male ambilobe about 2 months to fully calm down with no aggression, my Nosy Be took far less time. I am not going to say that this exact thing will happen to you and your cham, but I can speak from personal experience with my own.

The free range thing does not always do anything to the chameleons temperament/behavior. In fact, most of the time it doesn't really do anything.

Anywho, great job! I doubt he will ever bite you. He sounds like a big bluff. :) When he puffs up a little, poke his belly and see what he does. When my Sambava puffs up and I poke him he stops and looks at me for a second, then walks away.

HAHAHAHA I did that once to Samson and he looked so shocked and appalled, I think I really deflated his ego that day.

Well today I'm trying it again. I'm going to put his free range plant up to the cage and I'm sure he will use it. Thanks for the encouragement :)

Back
Top Bottom