Got my first chameleon today.

Hank

Well, today I bought a veiled chameleon. He (yes he is a male, I checked the nub) is a great little guy, he makes me wonder why the heck i've never had one of these yet! He's just such a funny little character and I can't get over how awesome he is. Anyways I held him a little before I put him in his cage and from what I could tell he wasnt stressed.

Oh yeah, he doesnt live outside I just didnt want to make a mess in my house when I put the plants in.
IMG_1772.jpg

IMG_1774_1.jpg

Here is his cage. Not the best picture of it but you get the idea. It has a large Schefflera and a small Schefflera, a fake vine at the top that goes down to the middle, a fake plant on the side, and the light beam and heat lamp is behind the cage before I put it on. (See if you can find the little guy LOL
IMG_1777.jpg

Another pic.
IMG_1793_1.jpg

Here he is basking.
IMG_1795.jpg

He is sleeping right now and it looks like he turns white while hes asleep. Lol, he doesnt even sleep in the plants, hes at the very top corner hanging onto the bars.
Sorry if the pics are too large.

be ready because for the first month you pretty much just bought your self a new born baby. They may worry you at first (they will stress you more then you stress them lol), but after you learn the daily care and get everything down it will be great fun. Hope you like the cham, because he looks great :)

welcome, he looks like a cool little guy. The gaps in his cage look pretty big can he fit through them?

Hank, tell me I am wrong. It looks like you have his lights inside the cage? That is just asking for him to get burned. They very much need to be outside the cage. Otherwise your guy and his cage look great.

Hank, tell me I am wrong. It looks like you have his lights inside the cage? That is just asking for him to get burned. They very much need to be outside the cage. Otherwise your guy and his cage look great.

If you look between two of his pictures (where the light one is) he states "heat lamp is behind the cage before I put it on." :)

I too, thought it was inside when i saw the picture and had not read it quite yet!

He looks great. Have fun stressin! ;)

You'll have loads of fun watching/caring for him! Do you have the long, tube-type UVB lights? I just saw what looks like a heat lamp. My first cham died cause I accidentally bought a uva bulb that went in the heat lamp; I thought it was a UVB. I didn't know until it was too late. Be sure and get one! Have fun!

awww he is adorable! I just got mine a month ago so I know how it is.. lol Just wondering, are you going to cup feed him? Just because the spaces in the cage are big enough for crickets to get out... otherwise great set up (and I can't find him in that pic lol)

awww he is adorable! I just got mine a month ago so I know how it is.. lol Just wondering, are you going to cup feed him? Just because the spaces in the cage are big enough for crickets to get out... otherwise great set up (and I can't find him in that pic lol)

Right, you might have crickets everywhere!

Thanks for the nice comments everyone!

I have a tube setup for a UVB but i'll have to pick up the light this week. I will both hand feed and cup feed, I might end up getting window screen and put it around the sides of the tank to keep crickets in.

He already seems like so much fun to have. And now I know what you mean by stress because apparently the bars ARE too large(just barely though) and when I came home today I saw him basking under the tube light but not inside the cage LOL.

So, consequently I had to clean out my 20 gallon high tank and set it up until he grows larger than the bars(hes almost there) i'd say I did a good job on the tank too.
And trust me, it looks better in person.
IMG_1860.jpg

He seems happy in there, he is exploring a lot and loves his basking spot. And he has eaten a TON of crickets.
IMG_1859.jpg

Edit: Forgot to say that we named him Stanley. Stan the man, formerly a milk man. Lol.

Oh my god, he's so cute!!!! I was really surprised how much my female cham ate when she was little and growing!!!!

That tank is really not the best place for him either, if you are going to keep him in there you really need to monitor the temps and humidity carefully. i also found that anything with a lid rather than a door is a right pain in the ass as you have to remove everything to get in there. If i were you id just get some cheap netting from a garden center/ diy store and just wrap that around the cage you had him in first, which should stop him getting out.

you could put that aquarium up on its end so your little guy has more up and down roaming room, but lighting becomes a pain, ( cant go through glass ) also i cant see but if you have not covered the soil it the plant i would do so, cham are curious little eaters and the soil can be very harmfull, mosr members use river rocks too large for your cham to swallow or a screen. he is adorable tho

Back
Top Bottom