got bored so weighed some food

nightanole

Chameleon Enthusiast
This is with a medical scale accurate to 10mg:

adult cricket = .25g
male adult dubia = 1.50g
female adult dubia = 3.00g
adult superworm = .50g

Going by that, if my normal rate is 2 dozen crickets, thats 3 adult male dubia by nutrition content.

If you want other sizes let me know. I tried a 1" nymph but it was 1.25g so i kinda gave up.

I'm curious about 1/2" Nymphs, thats fantastic though. My guy won't eat dubia unless its the first item of the day, I think its because of the slow movement.

This is with a medical scale accurate to 10mg:

adult cricket = .25g
male adult dubia = 1.50g
female adult dubia = 3.00g
adult superworm = .50g

Going by that, if my normal rate is 2 dozen crickets, thats 3 adult male dubia by nutrition content.

If you want other sizes let me know. I tried a 1" nymph but it was 1.25g so i kinda gave up.

Honestly, I don't see how this applies to nutrition at all. A snickers bar may weigh more than a carrot, but which is healthier for you? Gross weight has nothing to do with nutritional analysis.

On average a dubia has double the nutrition as a cricket per weight. I was just curious how much they weighed.

Guess you could put the butter worms and meal worms in the snickers bar category :)

nutrition20chart.jpg

On average a dubia has double the nutrition as a cricket per weight. I was just curious how much they weighed.

Guess you could put the butter worms and meal worms in the snickers bar category :)

nutrition20chart.jpg

How do you weigh the nutritional value? Is this Pre-gutload or gutloaded? Do these numbers change significantly after gut loading??

Its a chart based on weight less water, so meal worm is 59% water by weight, whats left over is 10% protein, 13% fat, and the rest is either fiber, shell, or carbs. Its why the chart doesnt add up to 100%. As for gut loaded or non gut loaded i couldnt tell you. Its based off of feeders. I would assume this would be on an empty stomach or it would show some pretty wild results between the same species.

I admit its a bad chart, but it does help when comparing foods. The chart is horrible if you want to know how many grams of protein. But it does show things like mealworms have 4x less protein than dubia.

Also each analyse is different. I can find break downs on meal worms that show they have more protein than fat. On the other hand this chart was done all at once so you can use for compairing at least. Its from a now off line web site that sold feeders: http://www.feedersinc.com/

nutrition20chart.jpg

adding this chart gives your ideas much more relavence; the gross weight alone would have confused many people.

nutrition20chart.jpg
that is very intresting! thanx! how bout horn worms? i know they r juicy! :D

that is very intresting! thanx! how bout horn worms? i know they r juicy! :D

Only thing i could find was 58% protein, and high in fat. You would think they would be good eatin with the food they eat, but most people say they are not very nutritious, but mostly bags of water.

image021.jpg

Neat thread,
By the chart butterworms are acctually looking pretty good ??? thats intersting

Back
Top Bottom