Got bit today

Debbie61

Well I knew it would probably eventually happen and it did. Silas, I guess was crabby today and he let me know it. He was out on his free range tree/plant and had no intention of going back in his cage. He would not let me get him and so I persisted and yes got bit. I did have a glove on when it happened because I could tell by his demeaner that he was very grumpy. Now I think that he hates dislikes me, because he sure acts like it. Although I should have known better, it was late in the afternoon and it was getting dark outside and I think he was ready to call it in early. Anyway now it seems like I'll have to earn his trust again, although I did nothing to hurt him. Any suggestions??

He'll get over it! He's not like a little kid. :) when you get him while he's grumpy, be very swift. Distract him with one hand, quickly slide a finger under his chest with your other hand, then lift a little. They pretty much get confused and are more focused on trying to get back to the plant. After you get over the fear aspect, it's super easy and it makes the tough guys (chameleons) look lame :D

How did you approach him when you got bit? Even though he was in a free range situation, did you back him up or trap him where he felt intimidated?. Did you grab him from the back or over his head? Could the gloves have scared him? What color are the gloves?

Do they bite hard when adults? My 4 month old bit me when i transfered him from the box to the cage, it was pathetic..

Hey now, it's very possible that he's just a grumpy chameleon in or out of the cage. I'm telling you, free ranging doesn't normally change the chameleons temperament.

Do they bite hard when adults? My 4 month old bit me when i transfered him from the box to the cage, it was pathetic..

Warning nips aren't bad. Death nips are though. They can take off a chunk of skin if they wanted to. It's very rare that a chameleon actually tries to death nip you. It's actually more like a death-lock pull-and-rip nip. :)

There was a thread showing the damage they can do (from a female no less) and some guys thumb was all bloody and torn up.

I am glad that I cannot answer the question on what it feels like to get bitten!Gosh mine has never attempted to bite me ever. I guess I am lucky to have such a sweetheart. I think it is basically luck of the draw.

I've never been death nipped by and adult. I have several times from younger ones though. They broke my skin.

Hey now, it's very possible that he's just a grumpy chameleon in or out of the cage. I'm telling you, free ranging doesn't normally change the chameleons temperament.

Maybe not yours Kara but I know allot of people that had very aggressive chams and now after going cage less they are little teddy bears.

Debbie, the next time it gets late in the evening just let him sleep in the tree until morning. They rarely move at night.

I got bit about 5 or 6 times today by a two year old female panther but no broken skin.

Last edited:
It's not just mine. It's many peoples' while some have a temperament change (becoming non-aggressive,) many (and I would say most) do not. I wouldn't only base that off of my handful of animals. Im not saying it can't happen, just that it's not considered the norm. When you glorify the temperament change, you just make let downs harder for others. It's like saying that chameleons are friendly because a handful of them are.

Yeah they can bite pretty hard. They have a lot of pressure on their bite enough to cut the finger open, on a previous thread a guy needed like 7-8 stiches. I had a Sambava that would bite and try to pull your finger off, he would twist and twist until as he pleased, that's why I always wore gloves with him.

I think there are many factors involved with the temperment change with free ranging. Not just simply removing the animal from a cage and sticking them in a tree or such. It is the interaction on a daily basis that re-enforces you are not a danger. It takes time to gain their trust. Only touch and handle as much as your individual cham is comfortable/tolerating of. Don't force them, let them adjust and come to you on their own. Not every chameleon will react the same way, some may take longer. Some may never come running everytime they see you. You have to respect the individual animal. Free ranging is just a part of the picture.

I think there are many factors involved with the temperment change with free ranging. Not just simply removing the animal from a cage and sticking them in a tree or such. It is the interaction on a daily basis that re-enforces you are not a danger. It takes time to gain their trust. Only touch and handle as much as your individual cham is comfortable/tolerating of. Don't force them, let them adjust and come to you on their own. Not every chameleon will react the same way, some may take longer. Some may never come running everytime they see you. You have to respect the individual animal. Free ranging is just a part of the picture.

Well said. I show ALLOT of love and respect to all my animals along with being free and they are all teddy bears. ;)

This I agree with except the daily reinforcement thing. While with some animals it may help to build your relationship towards what you consider good, with others you are reinforcing the idea of something they dislike and don't want.

This I agree with except the daily reinforcement thing. While with some animals it may help to build your relationship towards what you consider good, with others you are reinforcing the idea of something they dislike and don't want.

I believe that is why I said you have to respect the individual animal. You don't treat them all exactly the same. If you know your animal, you know what they like and don't.

Good evening, Thanks for the replys. Carol, when I saw that getting him off the tree was going to be a problem I used a black glove and approached from the side like I always do. He would have bitten me either way, with a glove on or not. I tell you what I'm glad the glove was there, he would have had me bleeding for sure. The interesting thing about it is after Silas was on my hand he had no puffy chin and wasn't trying to bite me at all. Needless to say he went straight to his cage and I was a little shaken by the event. A couple days ago I had him out earlier in the afternoon and had his tree in the sun and he was just fine. I was able to get him with only a small puffy of his chin and once on my hand he was good. So maybe it was just the day and I think I will leave him alone for a while.

They tend to loose their tough guy act when you hold them. Its not necessarily a good thing, but it's not always bad. You just have to be careful about it.

I nearly crapped myself the other day when my baby veiled hissed and went to bite me, first time it has happened and I was shocked. I know they do this but i just wasnt expecting it. He had managed to escape his cage and was sat enjoying himself on the top and really didnt want to be moved.

Back
Top Bottom