Gorgeous female veiled at my Petco

I agree with Goose, and nothing against the OP at all. It's not her fault that she works for a big company who puts profit above the well being of animals they sell. Hopefully the OP tries to take good care of the Chams and educate the new owners.

Dude. You should see my care packets for them. My coworkers think I’m crazy but at the same time they appreciate it.

This is how thick my care sheets are. Mixed with chameleon forum care and any Petco care that matched info with this forums care recommendations. It weighs 1lb according to my crappy Petco scales.

Edit;
I’m in a lucky Petco. A lot of my coworkers are animal crazy. We have an aquatics man whose love for all fish can even get emotional and deep. We got a saltwater guy who gets giddy when we have healthy, cool fishies. We got a crazy ferret lady who knows her stuff about them and a bunch of small animal nuts. I’m the dog/cat/chameleon crazed person. Most of my coworkers know general info on our reptiles and when we don’t know, we say so and ask the guest/customer if they mind us doing a quick google research. If our guest knows about a specific reptile we ask them about their knowledge and learn..I’m proud of my team for trying their hardest but...not all Petco’s are like us. It sucks that it’s that way.

Also, chameleons make little money for Petco. We maybe sell one every few months. Which I’m fine with, I am overprotective with them. I’ve denied and my coworkers have denied some sales on them as the guest refused to buy the proper enclosures and foods.

Attachments

• B4134109-629B-4DAF-9A9F-940EC160919E.jpeg
    B4134109-629B-4DAF-9A9F-940EC160919E.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
I'm also in Colorado (Denver) and had my cham shipped to me in January from Matt Vanilla Gorilla via Ship Your Reptiles and he arrived nice and cozy in a well insulated box right on time. So if done right, shipping in winter is very doable.
I found this forum after the fact. I've had Matt's number for a couple weeks now ;)

Ok soooooooo my two cents.... Beman is a petco baby and from a really crappy petco. Bought him without knowing that it was not the best idea but I am so happy I did. He was only in their care for 1 week. Brought him home knowing absolutely nothing they gave me no info and sold me all the wrong stuff... ( to the original OP props to you for putting together a huge care packet). Yes yes yes do your research I know and I did after. Replaced everything, got a fecal done just in case after finding this forum 2 weeks later.

Not that all Veileds that come from Petco are special but mine is. He is an absolute love bug. Sweet as hell and has only gotten pissed at me now 1 time for real and that was when he was moved from his smaller cage into his mansion. He is my joy and it is my honor to care for him. Without him I would not have fallen in love with these creatures, their husbandry, or had the opportunity to learn and grow from others in this forum, as well as being able to make some pretty awesome friendships, and connections.

Those that know me know that I do not advocate for chain stores at all. I have learned that with buying from people like our site sponsors and @Matt Vanilla Gorilla you get exceptional breeding, genetics, health, and support.

But Here is where I will get slapped... NOT ALL chams from chain stores are awful, unhealthy, mean, and not worth a chance at an excellent life.

Now with that being said Please have peace of mind in knowing that when I do get another cham I have already found my breeder that so many of us know and love. cough cough Matt. :)

But Here is where I will get slapped... NOT ALL chams from chain stores are awful, unhealthy, mean, and not worth a chance at an excellent life.

Respectfully want to point out here is where you and others are missing the point a little bit... sure there are tons of healthy chams out there in chain stores. Unfortunately, the best we can do to help the situation is avoid buying from them either way. I know that one chameleon doesn't make a huge difference, if someone does buy from Petco/petsmart it's not the end of the world and I won't bash them for it, I've bought animals in the past from them without knowing as well. I would just rather see a quality breeder get the money for so many reasons.

Respectfully want to point out here is where you and others are missing the point a little bit... sure there are tons of healthy chams out there in chain stores. Unfortunately, the best we can do to help the situation is avoid buying from them either way. I know that one chameleon doesn't make a huge difference, if someone does buy from Petco/petsmart it's not the end of the world and I won't bash them for it, I've bought animals in the past from them without knowing as well. I would just rather see a quality breeder get the money for so many reasons.

No, I do agree completely with your point as well. I really believe it is a matter of public education though. Which is why when someone comes on the forum and asks where should I buy a chameleon I always say from a site sponsor or one of our members that breeds. Because I now know better. Most people do not understand the depth of care when buying an animal from a chainstore because they are not told and what they are told is buy this kit and here are mealworms. Even my local mom and pop store is a joke when it comes to the things I have heard them say to people and even what they recommended me to get prior to me finding the forum.
I think it is hard when the window to the hobby are these stores. They show people a peek into this fascinating world of Chameleons and therefor are the spokespeople for the everyday person that has no knowledge.

I knew better because of my history with animals to come home and do my own research and to find a place where I could lurk for weeks reading as much as possible. Not everyone is like me though... So most petstore Chams get treated like gold fish. It dies and they get another one and the pattern repeats until they figure out what all they are not doing right or providing.

I think my soft spot in this topic is solely for Beman. I never would have found this amazing hobby or my little love had it not been for a chain store. I consider myself very lucky with his current health but I still worry about the unknowns since I do not have a history on breeding. I hope for him to have a long life but it has been pointed out to me that he may not do to his breeding and genetics. Eventually he will pass and when I am ready I will buy from a breeder that I have come to respect greatly.

And no I do not think the forum is the place to find homes for petstore chams but I do applaud the OP for the education packet she gives to people when buying. Because at least she is trying to inform the person of all the needs rather then here is a kit and some mealworms like I got.

You don't think Petco gets them from a breeder? I don't disagree that breeders are a good source, but I don't think all chain stores are bad. It doesn't have to be a black and white issue.

There are two Petco stores where I live. One I would consider to be horrible and in my opinion is poorly run. The other one is great... and I mean great. Very knowledgeable and passionate people work there. All pets are healthy and cared for correctly. All feeders are well stocked and in good condition. It's where I purchased our Vailed and he's healthy and beautiful. I would buy from them again without hesitation.

There is a broad, underlying assumption that Petco/Petsmart have inherently inferior animals. That may or may not be the case. I haven't seen any studies or factual research to support either point of view. There are many questions to be answered, for sure. What's the survival rate? How long are they in the store? Are pets from Petco/Petsmart more likely to end up at a vets office? Etc.

Live animals are not likely the profit center for either store chain. I would be willing to bet good money that they make very little profit from their sale, if any. Those who are critical of the chains also disregard the greater good they do. For example, take the Petco Foundation. According to their website, $250 million donated with millions of animals saved through adoption and thousands of conservation partners. I doubt a local breeder has that kind of social impact. So, we can hate on them and say "don't let them profit" or we can take a more positive and balanced approach.

Just my two cents.

You don't think Petco gets them from a breeder? I don't disagree that breeders are a good source, but I don't think all chain stores are bad. It doesn't have to be a black and white issue.

There are two Petco stores where I live. One I would consider to be horrible and in my opinion is poorly run. The other one is great... and I mean great. Very knowledgeable and passionate people work there. All pets are healthy and cared for correctly. All feeders are well stocked and in good condition. It's where I purchased our Vailed and he's healthy and beautiful. I would buy from them again without hesitation.

There is a broad, underlying assumption that Petco/Petsmart have inherently inferior animals. That may or may not be the case. I haven't seen any studies or factual research to support either point of view. There are many questions to be answered, for sure. What's the survival rate? How long are they in the store? Are pets from Petco/Petsmart more likely to end up at a vets office? Etc.

Live animals are not likely the profit center for either store chain. I would be willing to bet good money that they make very little profit from their sale, if any. Those who are critical of the chains also disregard the greater good they do. For example, take the Petco Foundation. According to their website, $250 million donated with millions of animals saved through adoption and thousands of conservation partners. I doubt a local breeder has that kind of social impact. So, we can hate on them and say "don't let them profit" or we can take a more positive and balanced approach.

Just my two cents.

Nobody is criticizing every corporate chain, just Petco and petsmart. Studies and research? It really doesn't take that much to see how many animals suffer at their stores from fish to reptiles. It was commonly known to avoid them in the reef hobby and should be as well in the reptile hobby. My guess is you haven't been to that many petco/petsmarts? They sell animals to get people to buy supplies for the animals. They do not care on a company level about the lives of the animals. How many times do I have to say, just because there is one decent store doesn't mean the next 10 aren't terrible. And they all function under the same general policies... whether or not some good employees step up and go the extra mile isn't their concern. I have seen plenty of people with dying animals on here that come from pet stores. How many buy from kammerflage, matt, jan, and the numerous other breeders and then come on here talking about the animal has MBD, coccidia, etc and were given wrong advice? Probably none. Why wouldn't you want to support your community that puts in effort for the animals and not just profit?

The foundation is great, coming from their own website though I'm skeptical of how much they have benefited verse killed. And do they help reptiles, fish, natural habitats? I don't know, I won't speak much on that because I have to read more into it.

Last edited:
Dude. You should see my care packets for them. My coworkers think I’m crazy but at the same time they appreciate it.

This is how thick my care sheets are. Mixed with chameleon forum care and any Petco care that matched info with this forums care recommendations. It weighs 1lb according to my crappy Petco scales.

Edit;
I’m in a lucky Petco. A lot of my coworkers are animal crazy. We have an aquatics man whose love for all fish can even get emotional and deep. We got a saltwater guy who gets giddy when we have healthy, cool fishies. We got a crazy ferret lady who knows her stuff about them and a bunch of small animal nuts. I’m the dog/cat/chameleon crazed person. Most of my coworkers know general info on our reptiles and when we don’t know, we say so and ask the guest/customer if they mind us doing a quick google research. If our guest knows about a specific reptile we ask them about their knowledge and learn..I’m proud of my team for trying their hardest but...not all Petco’s are like us. It sucks that it’s that way.

Also, chameleons make little money for Petco. We maybe sell one every few months. Which I’m fine with, I am overprotective with them. I’ve denied and my coworkers have denied some sales on them as the guest refused to buy the proper enclosures and foods.

They (chams included) are lucky to have you as an employee!

Just my two cents.

Fun fact...As a manager whose job is the animal welfare, I have the right to select what vendors I want my animals from. The only ones I dont have a choice on are small animals. Which are unfortunately sunpet and Marshall and with all do disrespect...f*ck those vendors.

Otherwise I avoid ordering any reptiles from sunpet or any vendors who have undergone terrible inspections. The only vendors I’ve found not much info on but almost always receive healthy animals from are Gourmet Rodent, Vista pet supply, California zoological and..one other I can’t think of.

So anyone who has seen me post before knows I work at a Virginia Petco. I like to show some of our chams here, especially pretty ones who need an experienced home or those on sale whom I’d rather go home to a faithful owner.

Anyway, we have a gorgeous female veiled currently. She’s 5 months I believe and has been with us a little while. She’s feisty and prone to bite but she will handfeed with me. (All the while saying screw you with her eyes.)
She’s emerald colored and has semi-translucent ankle socks.
If anyone is interested in her, let me know through dms!
Where at in Virginia? I also live here.

I completely agree as well. Like I said though I couldn't find any other males anywhere. I even called a hour north in Colorado Springs to every Scales N Tails they had. Nada... Not to mention it is still winter here in Colorado. Didn't want to take the risk of shipping in cold weather either. Sure I could've waited... But at the end of the day my $60 purchase didn't phase Petco one bit...
I would rather buy a chameleon from an online breeder. And that’s what I did, I bought a male veiled from LLL reptile. And he came in perfectly fine. Everything worked out, great shipping etc. much better than the poor petco chameleons. Every time I buy crickets from petco I can’t help but look at the chameleons they have and feel bad.

Fun fact...As a manager whose job is the animal welfare, I have the right to select what vendors I want my animals from. The only ones I dont have a choice on are small animals. Which are unfortunately sunpet and Marshall and with all do disrespect...f*ck those vendors.

Otherwise I avoid ordering any reptiles from sunpet or any vendors who have undergone terrible inspections. The only vendors I’ve found not much info on but almost always receive healthy animals from are Gourmet Rodent, Vista pet supply, California zoological and..one other I can’t think of.

Are you guys allowed to refuse to sell someone an animal? Just curious. Like if someone walks up with a fish bowl wanting to buy Nemo, can you say no?

And btw I appreciate how well you've handled this thread. I'm sorry if I came off like I was attacking you, just frustrating to see how fish and small animals are kept in the large chain stores near me...

Hats off to you! I get the original post was you trying to find a good home because you clearly do care!

The issue as I see it is that you get tarred with corporate, un caring brush. There has to be some point though that your managers will force you to do things based on profit and loss, rather than ethics.

We've all seen chams and other animals kept in really poor conditions at stores large and small. The animals are simply a commodity far too often.

Please do keep caring.

Are you guys allowed to refuse to sell someone an animal? Just curious. Like if someone walks up with a fish bowl wanting to buy Nemo, can you say no?

And btw I appreciate how well you've handled this thread. I'm sorry if I came off like I was attacking you, just frustrating to see how fish and small animals are kept in the large chain stores near me...
OMG fish bowl and nemo I am laughing soooooooo hard. Too funny. Thank you I needed that this morning.

I would rather buy a chameleon from an online breeder. And that’s what I did, I bought a male veiled from LLL reptile. And he came in perfectly fine. Everything worked out, great shipping etc. much better than the poor petco chameleons. Every time I buy crickets from petco I can’t help but look at the chameleons they have and feel bad.
Online reptile stores can be just as sketchy. Backwater Reptiles being one

Ah you’re fine! I expected some unhappy posts due to my position but to answer your question, we reject multiple people a day. Specifically we have had MANY people ask what you just did. Our answer is “no, you can’t.” They can beg, but we refuse.
We try to re educate people who want goldfish in a bowl and most of the time they switch over to a betta kit that has at least 1 gallon, filter and appropriate decor.

Walking into petstores usually breaks my heart. My sister (who rescues every animal she sees) worked at one in high school - so Im sure there are good hearted knowledgable people here and there, but most Ive encountered dont seem to care much. Theyre always in horrible conditions near me

wow everyone seems to live in Virginia lol, im in md but the petco's near me are pretty bad, had a 6 month cham and a 2 month in the same thing, poor little one was terrified, feed mealworms and have gravid females in like 5 gal tanks but nonetheless my first was from petco

Back
Top Bottom