Gorgeous female veiled at my Petco

So anyone who has seen me post before knows I work at a Virginia Petco. I like to show some of our chams here, especially pretty ones who need an experienced home or those on sale whom I’d rather go home to a faithful owner.

Anyway, we have a gorgeous female veiled currently. She’s 5 months I believe and has been with us a little while. She’s feisty and prone to bite but she will handfeed with me. (All the while saying screw you with her eyes.)
She’s emerald colored and has semi-translucent ankle socks.
If anyone is interested in her, let me know through dms!

Attachments

• 5F7D6A97-D25C-4779-90A9-B3A8C32C8729.jpeg
    5F7D6A97-D25C-4779-90A9-B3A8C32C8729.jpeg
    223.1 KB · Views: 278
  • 3B2A2FBB-D57D-4582-BE39-C7F580483DE6.jpeg
    3B2A2FBB-D57D-4582-BE39-C7F580483DE6.jpeg
    252.5 KB · Views: 266
I wouldn’t buy any animals from Petco, nor would I recommend it.
I wouldn't recommend it as well. However, not all Petcos are the same, not all Petco employees are the same. I took the risk when I bought my male veiled from Petco here in my home town, but he had the appropriate lighting, dripper, humidity, and temps. His overall health appeared good as well. I couldn't find any other males of any species in any of our towns reputable pet shops. I even tried the reptile shop we have here and nope just an overweight female Panther rescue they had. I will say that their Leopard Geckos looked like they were in horrible shape though. Skinny tails, uvb lighting and heat lighting, as well as a heat rock and calcium sand... Smh. Funny how the Chameleons they had were in better shape than the easier to take care of Leopard Geckos.

I wouldn't recommend it as well. However, not all Petcos are the same, not all Petco employees are the same. I took the risk when I bought my male veiled from Petco here in my home town, but he had the appropriate lighting, dripper, humidity, and temps. His overall health appeared good as well. I couldn't find any other males of any species in any of our towns reputable pet shops. I even tried the reptile shop we have here and nope just an overweight female Panther rescue they had. I will say that their Leopard Geckos looked like they were in horrible shape though. Skinny tails, uvb lighting and heat lighting, as well as a heat rock and calcium sand... Smh. Funny how the Chameleons they had were in better shape than the easier to take care of Leopard Geckos.

I'm sure nobody doubts there's some petcos that have decent standards for their animals. But when you buy from them, you're still supporting the company as a whole, which overall has shown to not care much at all about the lives of animals. And why buy a chameleon if they're treating their geckos bad, or visa versa? Lastly, even good pet shops spread parasites and other illnesses easily just because of the close contact of multiple species. I wouldn't want to risk it on that alone.

I just don't see why anyone that is informed would choose to buy from a large chain when there are so many hardworking breeders who work hard to bring healthy animals to the hobby.

I'm sure nobody doubts there's some petcos that have decent standards for their animals. But when you buy from them, you're still supporting the company as a whole, which overall has shown to not care much at all about the lives of animals. And why buy a chameleon if they're treating their geckos bad, or visa versa? Lastly, even good pet shops spread parasites and other illnesses easily just because of the close contact of multiple species. I wouldn't want to risk it on that alone.

I just don't see why anyone that is informed would choose to buy from a large chain when there are so many hardworking breeders who work hard to bring healthy animals to the hobby.

Amen!

I completely agree as well. Like I said though I couldn't find any other males anywhere. I even called a hour north in Colorado Springs to every Scales N Tails they had. Nada... Not to mention it is still winter here in Colorado. Didn't want to take the risk of shipping in cold weather either. Sure I could've waited... But at the end of the day my $60 purchase didn't phase Petco one bit...

All good @CamoChameleonsHuman didn't mean to attack you. Just wanted to give my logic behind it.

I have had good luck with veilds and panthers that are purchased from our Petco chain store in Bozeman, Montana. The people there understand their reptiles and take good care of them. If they have an interesting cham I watch it for a few weeks to be sure that it is growing and acting well. When they have a sale, I grab it. All chain stores are not bad.

I have had good luck with veilds and panthers that are purchased from our Petco chain store in Bozeman, Montana. The people there understand their reptiles and take good care of them. If they have an interesting cham I watch it for a few weeks to be sure that it is growing and acting well. When they have a sale, I grab it. All chain stores are not bad.
I actually passed on a what I thought was an ambilobe male. It was hard to tell on her/him. There was a slight bulge at the base of the tail but barely anything. It was about 6 months old pale colors, but you could see the colors especially when he/she fired up. I talked them down to $150 from $300 but because I thought it was possibly an unhealthy male and couldn't know for sure on its locale/lineage I passed. Couldve even been a hybrid. It's probably still there...

I completely agree as well. Like I said though I couldn't find any other males anywhere. I even called a hour north in Colorado Springs to every Scales N Tails they had. Nada... Not to mention it is still winter here in Colorado. Didn't want to take the risk of shipping in cold weather either. Sure I could've waited... But at the end of the day my $60 purchase didn't phase Petco one bit...

I'm also in Colorado (Denver) and had my cham shipped to me in January from Matt Vanilla Gorilla via Ship Your Reptiles and he arrived nice and cozy in a well insulated box right on time. So if done right, shipping in winter is very doable.

I vouche for matt, a great guy, very trustworthy!! Petco in the thread here... I went to a petco that had a compact uv and a tub of water as shown in this thread, I had a talk with the store manager and the reptile guy/employee and explained to them the proper care and uv lighting..... I went back there 1 week later and they had put in a t-5 linear and there was crickets in the enclosure dusted with minerall, and no more water dish.... they were hand spraying everyday, his urates were normal, a jacksons cham. I was so impressed!!!! Too bad they were a privately owned store... there is hope! That store was in elk grove city

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom